Training Camp and Preseason: The WRs

WindyCity

This group continues to be an interesting one to follow and could arguably be the most talented group the Bears have had since Marshall and Jeffery, but with more depth than those teams ever had.

What we have heard so far

Allen Robinson-looks good, but they are being super cautious and not pushing him very far. Hoge and Jahns both raved about his route running especially for a 6'3" WR.

Anyhony Miller-has been the star of camp to this point and has shown explosiveness and play making ability. Needs work on the finer points still accordinhg to Wiederer.

Kevin White-getting a ton of opportunity, making more plays than last year, physical tools look good. Hoge and Jahns both talked about how his hands and route running have not been great.

Taylor Gabriel-has flashed the great speed and has been used in lots of ways to create misdirection. 

Javon Wims-a few too many drops and some serious work to do on his routes, but his size stands out when he is on the field. In the videos he looks bigger than everyone.

Josh Bellamy-getting 1st team reps and talking a ton of smack so nothing has changed, including my reaction.

Bennie Fowler-has had a couple of nice catches and some drops.

This is going to be a fascinating group to see in the preseason as my guess is Kevin White and Anthony Miller are going to play a ton to see who is going to be the starter.

I think I'm most excited to see what Robinson and Miller can do. Robinson I have always liked dating back to his Penn State days and Miller just has something to him... He's such a polished route runner that if he can work on cutting out the drops I think he can be a damned good one. 

It's definitely a talented group. Add in Burton, Shaheen, and Cohen and we literally can just take whoever is open and go with it. There is also a lot of exceptional traits through the group. Some have top size, some speed, Miller looks to have high route running ability, etc. Plus a lot of ability after the catch, which is every QBs best friend. 

Miller and Cohen seem to be early stars of camp.  Mitch is throwing lasers, but is still half a beat to a full beat too slow on his reads.  You can tell by timing of plays.  I dont know his reads on most plays yet just by watching, i have to figure that out.  But if play takes 3.5 secs or longer in pocket I know that is too long because i know the timing of most concepts.  But that is to be expected.  He is skipping and patting too much in pocket, another tell. He is improving daily however.

What a difference it makes and will make to get vast majority of reps in offseason.  

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Miller and Cohen seem to be early stars of camp.  Mitch is throwing lasers, but is still half a beat to a full beat too slow on his reads.  You can tell by timing of plays.  I dont know his reads on most plays yet just by watching, i have to figure that out.  But if play takes 3.5 secs or longer in pocket I know that is too long because i know the timing of most concepts.  But that is to be expected.  He is skipping and patting too much in pocket, another tell. He is improving daily however.

What a difference it makes and will make to get vast majority of reps in offseason.  

I'm glad you noticed that as well... the patting is driving me crazy and I don't want it to become a habit of his. Easiest way for a DB to break on a ball is when you start doing that nonsense.

20 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm glad you noticed that as well... the patting is driving me crazy and I don't want it to become a habit of his. Easiest way for a DB to break on a ball is when you start doing that nonsense.

Plus with him holding the ball more securely, it allows him to really sell a pump fake.  He doesn't have Favre, Brees, Big Ben sized hands, so he won't likely get the big extension in his pump fakes, but if he is keeping the ball steady then when he does pump it they will be more likely to bite.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

New offense and a lot of thinking going on.

As excited as we all are I think we all understand MT is going to make a lot of mistakes this year.  

In long interview I heard today MT was asked if anything is carrying over from last years offense that will help him and he basically said no.  Everything is new.  Even words that are same mean different things now so that is more of a hindrance than a help.

At same time I think if people are patient and not overly negative about mistakes or poor multiple pick games we will see some games where Bears put up 35 pts or more and start to build something for future.  

I would rather win by legitimately trying to outscore the other team.  Bears have been playing 4 corners too long.   Holding the ball and hoping for a big play miracle from defense or special teams.   Or simply trying to look respectable in close losses.  I understand the thinking when you are out gunned and the strategy may be your only hope, but its just lame to watch and be a part of.  It doesn't feel like you are trying to win.

A loss by 8 or 28 is still a loss and counts the same.  I guess media, fans  and even players treat it much different and it can get you fired faster or lose a locker room, but I don't think that should be the case.  Play to win and take chances to make it happen. 

Dirty secret is a lot of close games aren't really close.  Other team just knew you were playing ultra conservative and so they played conservative too as to not blow an easy win.   As long as they were ahead by 8 or more they were comfortable with that type of game.  

Hopefully this year fans will care more about the WR they signed in free agency and the WR they drafted more than whether or not Tanner Gentry sticks as the WR6. You know, a train of thought that actually makes a bit of sense.

Archived