Newman!

vike daddy

To most players, training camp is a root canal without anesthesia. Camp is gridiron Groundhog Day. Every day is the same slog. A tiresome exercise that is equal parts necessary and dreadful. So why on Earth did Terrance Newman, in sound mind, choose to be at TCO Performance Center on Saturday for the start of his 16th NFL training camp when he could have been somewhere sipping drinks with umbrellas with waves crashing in the background?

Newman: “I want to try to win a ring, it’s that simple. In 15 years, last year was the first time I actually felt like we could win one. We’ve got all the pieces still. Why not give it one last shot? Father Time is undefeated. That’s the other reason why I know this will be my last year. The talent is getting better and I’m going the opposite way. You’ve got to know when to call it quits. That close last season, why quit right there? It makes no sense.”

He is the oldest defensive player in the league. He turns 40 on Sept. 4 — five days before the opener — which would make him only the second defensive back in NFL history to play at 40 years or older, according to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Cornerback Darrell Green played until he was 42.

http://www.startribune.com/terence-newman-the-nfl-s-oldest-player-gives-it-one-more-run-at-a-ring/489433911/

I really do wonder if Newman will make the final roster. He’s looking like the 4th CB on the roster, if not the 5th, and for a guy who won’t play special teams how much is is lockerroom presence and leadership worth? 

I really think that the final CB roster spot will come down to Newman and Sherels. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I really do wonder if Newman will make the final roster. He’s looking like the 4th CB on the roster, if not the 5th, and for a guy who won’t play special teams how much is is lockerroom presence and leadership worth?  

a fair observation and question, but i think it may be worth a great deal to Zimmer, who stresses teaching and mentoring. we have two young d backs in Alexander and Hughes, they will benefit by Newman's presence.

plus, he makes a better backup than Sherels, if called to duty.

56 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

To most players, training camp is a root canal without anesthesia. Camp is gridiron Groundhog Day. Every day is the same slog. A tiresome exercise that is equal parts necessary and dreadful. So why on Earth did Terrance Newman, in sound mind, choose to be at TCO Performance Center on Saturday for the start of his 16th NFL training camp when he could have been somewhere sipping drinks with umbrellas with waves crashing in the background?

Newman: “I want to try to win a ring, it’s that simple. In 15 years, last year was the first time I actually felt like we could win one. We’ve got all the pieces still. Why not give it one last shot? Father Time is undefeated. That’s the other reason why I know this will be my last year. The talent is getting better and I’m going the opposite way. You’ve got to know when to call it quits. That close last season, why quit right there? It makes no sense.”

He is the oldest defensive player in the league. He turns 40 on Sept. 4 — five days before the opener — which would make him only the second defensive back in NFL history to play at 40 years or older, according to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Cornerback Darrell Green played until he was 42.

http://www.startribune.com/terence-newman-the-nfl-s-oldest-player-gives-it-one-more-run-at-a-ring/489433911/

I thought Zimmer said something interesting about Newman yesterday. He mentioned the NFL's new offseason rules probably have extended his career.

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I really think that the final CB roster spot will come down to Newman and Sherels. 

It could depend on the special teams battles between other players. I think there's a strong possibility they're choosing between Newman and Sherels for the last spot.

Ultimately, I expect the team to keep Newman over Sherels, precisely for his ability to play on defense (at corner or safety). But I would also expect Newman to be a healthy scratch for most games, since he doesn’t play special teams. 

When the Vikings sought to move Alexander inside to nickel corner after allowing Captain Munnerlyn to walk in free agency prior to last season, he did not want to make the change from outside corner, which he had played at Clemson. He also wasn’t interested in learning from Newman. And then — at 39 years old – Newman beat him out for the starting nickel corner job last year and played 60 percent of the snaps. It took until Alexander got opportunities and showed flashes of his ability that he fully bought into the concept of playing slot corner. Oh and he started paying attention to the 16-year veteran.

Alexander: “It was tough because it’s a new position, it was harder for me because I fight the situation so much. I didn’t want to do it. He stays on me, from Day 1 he’s told me you can be one of the best if you fix your mindset. He’s like family now.”

“I’m loving it, I’m embracing the job. I showed a splash of things I can do last year. I’m ready to be a top five guy at my position this year and take over my job and do what I can do. I have high expectations for myself, I’m ‘bout to be one of the best at my position this year, there’s no question about it. Fully confident, got everything down, it’s year three.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/vikings-cb-alexander-now-embracing-role-fought/

Agree that Newman doesn’t make the roster  if he ends up as the 5th CB on the depth chart, behind both Hughes and Alexander. They tend to use 4 corners on defense with everyone healthy, so there’s a bit of a rotation, but they don’t need to go 5 deep. 

Hill seems very likely to make the roster if he stays clean — Rhodes was praising him yesterday. If Hill can be a non-terrible, let alone good, 5th option as a CB who could start a game or play rotationally, Newman isn’t needed. 

They expect the 5th and 6th corners to play special teams, which Newman doesn’t. Hill should be good on special teams coverage units given his tackling ability in space. Sherels of course is very good on STs, not just as a returner. Don’t think they’d cut Sherels, use his roster spot for Newman and then make Newman a healthy scratch most games. 

Newman was slowing down considerably last year. The Vikings analytics guy gave an interview last month where he mentioned they track players speed in practices and there was evidence of Newman falling off physically. He was picked on as a weak spot in the playoffs. Was only on the field for 32 pass coverage snaps but all hell broke loose when he was on the field: gave up 2 TDs and 107 yards on 10 targets, including the too-easy TD Thomas scored from the slot in the Saints comeback and Agholor’s deep TD on the double move where Newman wasn’t even within 10 yards when he caught it. 

I expect Newman to stay with the team through camp and preseason. If Hughes and Hill are good enough to play this year, Newman can retire and take a coaching / advisor position. There’s no guaranteed money on his one year deal (unlike Sherels, who counts $500K against the cap even if released) If they get into injury trouble, knock on wood they don’t, Newman can un-retire and sign as a street free agent. 

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I expect Newman to stay with the team through camp and preseason. If Hughes and Hill are good enough to play this year, Newman can retire and take a coaching / advisor position. There’s no guaranteed money on his one year deal (unlike Sherels, who counts $500K against the cap even if released) If they get into injury trouble, knock on wood they don’t, Newman can un-retire and sign as a street free agent. 

might very well be the best plan of attack.

Don't see why not. Guys have been signed off the street midseason who'd been working in all kinds of jobs.

If the only real benefit from keeping Newman is that he could play corner if 2 or more guys were out with injuries, they can save the roster spot, make him a coach and keep him in the room (and on the payroll) in that capacity unless he needs to make a comeback.

Archived