2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Crowell didn't look the same yesterday I think he's really banged up.  I saw him turn the corner early in the game and where he made the DEN CB's miss he just ran right into the MIN ones.  He didn't show the cut ability because of the ankle.  Now Powell got hurt and didn't come back.  Not good considering our top 2 WR's are a nicked up Anderson and Kearse.

When we were healthy things were ok for Sam.  With all these injuries we are not going to be able to help the kid out with a run game or our WR's being where they need to be.  I mean Roberts is a great special teams guy but he caused one of Sam's INT's with a really slow break out of that post and Peake clearly caused the other by just flat out being awful.

If Sam can't trust his guys we are going to see more games like this.  I also don't want to be reactionary either and overpay for Cooper or another WR either.  Need to hope Pryor gets healthy and we can get him back soon same with McGuire week 9.  I think we can live with McGuire/Crowell and Anderson/Pryor/Kearse until Q gets back.

For now we need to get creative with the play calling because CHI is not going to be easy.  

Edited by Rockice_8

Some of these guys may fall and there may be another player that sneaks in but I have my short list of prospects I'm focusing on for round 1.

Bosa (pass rusher)
Gary (pass rusher)
Ferrell (pass rusher)
Sweat (pass rusher)
Brown (WR)
Little (OT)
Williams (OT)
Harry (WR)
Johnson (WR)

I really think we should end up with someone on that list if we were smart.  I think we played ourselves out of the Bosa landing spot but Gary, Ferrell should be there in the 5-10 range along with Little/Williams.  I think if we finish strong down the stretch and land in the 10-15 range then guys like Sweat and the WR's become strong options.

Anthony Johnson seems the most intriguing of all the prospects.  I think he would make a great pick if we fall in the 10-15 range.  Him as an elite deep threat and great YAC guy would pair perfectly with a core of Anderson, Q and Herndon.

Edited by Rockice_8

13 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Peterson is 28 and only has 2-3 good years left. I don;t think we will be ready for the Super Bowl run by then. 

I also think Bosa will fall in the draft. He has had some pretty bad injuries lately and that will hurt him. 

Bosa will be healed by draft day and will go Top 5 easy

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bosa will be healed by draft day and will go Top 5 easy

The thing we should remember, we are going to have only one pick in the first 75 players in the draft, and probably the 15 over all pick in the first round. So we are not going to fill some of the holes we have with the draft. And I don't want to hear we have two third round picks, we all knows Macc, and third round picks, he might give them away for nothing like he did once before. And if the FA market is as bad as some people say, what are we going to do with the 100 mil we have in the bank. If you saw the Giants & Atlanta play you see what outstanding receivers can do for you, and that is what Darnold needs. 

Edited by doumeyer

26 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The thing we should remember, we are going to have only one pick in the first 75 players in the draft, and probably the 15 over all pick in the first round. So we are not going to fill some of the holes we have with the draft. And I don't want to hear we have two third round picks, we all knows Macc, and third round picks, he might give them away for nothing like he did once before. And if the FA market is as bad as some people say, what are we going to do with the 100 mil we have in the bank. If you saw the Giants & Atlanta play you see what outstanding receivers can do for you, and that is what Darnold needs. 

I agree. It’d be smarter to trade those 3rds for players on teams that need cap space. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

For what it's worth Mac looks to be 2 for 4 on 3rd round picks in his 4 drafts.  Jenkins and Shep are rotational players Stewart and Mauldin not so much.

I would be open for trades though if the deal is right.

Edited by Rockice_8

Early board for me.

Top 10 pick
1. Bosa
2. Ferrell
3. Williams
4. Josh Allen (yeah I think he's on his way to a top 10 pick)
5. Gary

Outside Top 10 (no order)
Little 
Brown
Sweat
Johnson
Greedy (only because the talent this late would be too good to pass up as the best CB in the draft)

34 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Early board for me.

Top 10 pick
1. Bosa
2. Ferrell
3. Williams
5. Gary

Little 
Brown
Sweat
Johnson
Greedy (only because the talent this late would be too good to pass up as the best CB in the draft)

Rockice, you should have the players who will be in the 11 to 20 overall first round picks, because that is where we are going to pick. Is there a top WR could go in that 11 to 20 picks? But the WR must be like a C Ridley type. 

51 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Rockice, you should have the players who will be in the 11 to 20 overall first round picks, because that is where we are going to pick. Is there a top WR could go in that 11 to 20 picks? But the WR must be like a C Ridley type. 

Brown and Johnson are WR's.  Both look like possible future go to WR's.  Both have great hands and are 6'2"ish in height with good speed.  

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Early board for me.

Top 10 pick
1. Bosa
2. Ferrell
3. Williams
5. Gary

Little 
Brown
Sweat
Johnson

Not a bad lost I don’t rate Ferrell and Gary as high as you. Not bc of talent but bc of speed. They’re more 4-3 DEs than 3-4 Edge guys. To use that high of a pick we should begetting something better than a way better version of Jenkins. I want that 15 sack guy. That’s why I now want us to go LT or WR

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a bad lost I don’t rate Ferrell and Gary as high as you. Not bc of talent but bc of speed. They’re more 4-3 DEs than 3-4 Edge guys. To use that high of a pick we should begetting something better than a way better version of Jenkins. I want that 15 sack guy. That’s why I now want us to go LT or WR

Ferrell is on pace for double digit sacks this year.  He can get after the QB and play the run.  He'll be a 12 sack guy in the NFL and not be a liability in the run.  Ferrell is a flat out stud.

Gary is more potential and yes he is a bit bigger and more of a DE but Ferrell is an ideal OLB in a 3-4.  Sweat and Allen are two others who will be high on draft boards and possible 12+ sack guys too who fit in as a 34 OLB.  The draft is loaded with pass rushers.  

I like a few WR's and really like how Jonah Williams is playing.  Williams is playing his way into a top 5 pick though which we are likely and hopefully no where near picking from.  Unfortunately that is equally true about Ferrell.

Gut says we are in the 11-14 range and will have to choose from guys like Little, Brown, Sweat, Johnson which are still really good options.

Looks like a fairly deep draft through the top 20 or so which will give us a shot at a really good player.

Edited by Rockice_8