2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

See what I don't want to happen is what I think might happen.....

We cant attract any FA guys on offense, making our FA money go to an edge among other defensive guys. Then the draft comes and the BPA is an edge or DLineman and we take them. Leaving us with a talented defense that is useless bc they're on the field the whole game bc our offense sucks all while not helping our "hopeful" franchise QB.

And I know what some will say that you cant rebuild a whole team in 1 off season. And I agree. But offense should trump everything since QB is so important and we just invested A LOT in a guy. So if we're going to attack 1 side of the ball, it should be offense not defense. I also don't believe in Macc. We get edges and then he will say CB is a 1st Round need year. Then LB the year after that, so on and so on. Its clear he's clueless on drafting offense or attracting FA offensive talent.

If pass rusher is the best available at #3 then you take one.  If you sign a FA pass rusher that's great too cause we could use 2.

If we can't lure offensive FA's then it is what it is and you have to make due.  Good coaching will help with a lot of our issues.  We definitely need a few OL men though at minimum 2 (LG/C).  Bell and anyone else on top of that is gravy.  If we don't go offense in round 1 then round 3 looks prime for solid WR's still on the board in such a deep class.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If pass rusher is the best available at #3 then you take one.  If you sign a FA pass rusher that's great too cause we could use 2.

If we can't lure offensive FA's then it is what it is and you have to make due.  Good coaching will help with a lot of our issues.  We definitely need a few OL men though at minimum 2 (LG/C).  Bell and anyone else on top of that is gravy.  If we don't go offense in round 1 then round 3 looks prime for solid WR's still on the board in such a deep class.

How can you just assume that coaching will make this offense better without any significant talent upgrade? For starters we don't even know who our next HC will be. Could be another defensive guru who doesn't know offense like our past couple ones. Same can be said for our next OC. Regardless though. Even if we get a offensive guy and he does make us a tad better. Still we need talent on offense. OK talent only works with HOF QBs. And even they get blessed with weapons better then ours. And like I stated...our defense even with 2 edge guys wont be affective if they're on the field all game. I've stated for years we can make our defense better just by getting a better offense and keeping our defense off the field more and having them rested.

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

To get what? The Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen's of the draft? No thanks.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

How can you just assume that coaching will make this offense better without any significant talent upgrade? For starters we don't even know who our next HC will be. Could be another defensive guru who doesn't know offense like our past couple ones. Same can be said for our next OC. Regardless though. Even if we get a offensive guy and he does make us a tad better. Still we need talent on offense. OK talent only works with HOF QBs. And even they get blessed with weapons better then ours. And like I stated...our defense even with 2 edge guys wont be affective if they're on the field all game. I've stated for years we can make our defense better just by getting a better offense and keeping our defense off the field more and having them rested.

Coaching is huge in the NFL.  Plus we had a pretty decent offense under Morton with a career journeymen QB, Q out for the year, and no TE.  Now we have Q healthy and Herndon who looks like a real weapon.  Yes we need more talent especially on the OL but we are going to try and bring in OL talent and try to bring in Bell among others.  If we don't land them it is what it is but we are going to try to bring talent in.  If we can't then what can you do.  We just need talent overall so if we wind up going pass rusher at #3 then we should because we are desperate for one if not two guys that can get after the passer.  We are not in position to take a lesser player to fill a need over a possible great player because one plays offense.  

We are not going to ignore offense this year.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To get what? The Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen's of the draft? No thanks.

Or to get any of the other dozens of good WR's taken in round 3.  If we can't trade down then forcing a WR pick in the top 3 is not smart.  

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Coaching is huge in the NFL.  Plus we had a pretty decent offense under Morton with a career journeymen QB, Q out for the year, and no TE.  Now we have Q healthy and Herndon who looks like a real weapon.  Yes we need more talent especially on the OL but we are going to try and bring in OL talent and try to bring in Bell among others.  If we don't land them it is what it is but we are going to try to bring talent in.  If we can't then what can you do.  We just need talent overall so if we wind up going pass rusher at #3 then we should because we are desperate for one if not two guys that can get after the passer.  We are not in position to take a lesser player to fill a need over a possible great player because one plays offense.  

We are not going to ignore offense this year.

Like Leo. Bc he was BPA? He's been a real star let me tell ya. That's how good BPA gets you.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Or to get any of the other dozens of good WR's taken in round 3.  If we can't trade down then forcing a WR pick in the top 3 is not smart.  

And where in 4 drafts has Macc shown he can get offensive talent period?

At the top of round 3 there could be a ton of good talent on the board.

Whiteside, Campbell, Marquise Brown, Collin Johnson, Ridley, Claypool, Butler, Samuel, Humphrey, and probably 1 or 2 others that I can't think of.  

WR is crazy deep this year yet again so not taking one round 1 isn't make or break for improving the offense around Sam.  

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like Leo. Bc he was BPA? He's been a real star let me tell ya. That's how good BPA gets you.

And reaching for WR's is how you get Mike Williams in DET or John Ross in CIN or Perriman in Bal or Kevin White in CHI (who I know you were in love with).

While Leo hasn't been great he hasn't been horrible either just not as good as a top 6 pick should be.  Go look at that draft it was pretty bad overall even in hindsight.  Only other guy on our radar was Beasley who hasn't been great either.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And where in 4 drafts has Macc shown he can get offensive talent period?

Just because our GM sucks doesn't mean the talent isn't there.  Can't use our GM's bad drafting as a gauge for the talent that is still there.    

Herndon looks like a really nice offensive piece moving forward.  He looks every bit the part of a complete TE. 

And reaching for WR's is how you get Mike Williams in DET or John Ross in CIN or Perriman in Bal or Kevin White in CHI (who I know you were in love with).

While Leo hasn't been great he hasn't been horrible either just not as good as a top 6 pick should be.  Go look at that draft it was pretty bad overall even in hindsight.  Only other guy on our radar was Beasley who hasn't been great either.

And there's a guarantee that any edge outside of Bosa will be good in this draft? I don't think so. I think a guy like Allen stands the same chance of being good as the same that Williams can be a good LT, Harry can be a good WR, etc.

Just because our GM sucks doesn't mean the talent isn't there.  Can't use our GM's bad drafting as a gauge for the talent that is still there.    

Herndon looks like a really nice offensive piece moving forward.  He looks every bit the part of a complete TE. 

I like Herndon. But this is classic Jets fans overrating our own talent Just like Enunwa and Anderson some view as good). Herndon has been a middle of the pack TE in the NFL. We think he's good bc we are starving for talent. You put him on any other team and he wouldn't be talked about much.

And my point in mentioning Macc is that he will still be here for this off season more than likely. So his bad scouting and moves will be a part of our off season.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like Herndon. But this is classic Jets fans overrating our own talent Just like Enunwa and Anderson some view as good). Herndon has been a middle of the pack TE in the NFL. We think he's good bc we are starving for talent. You put him on any other team and he wouldn't be talked about much.

And my point in mentioning Macc is that he will still be here for this off season more than likely. So his bad scouting and moves will be a part of our off season.

I said he looks like a nice offensive piece, how is that overrating him?  I didn't say he was the next Antonio Gates. 

Herndon is a rookie TE who typically take 2-3 years to develop fully.  He can block and catch I'm not overrating him just look at him play and you can see he is a talented player.  If he was on another team with a good OC and good offense he'd probably have better stats.  He is playing on an inept offense right now, it's nearly impossible to produce numbers on this team.  You are always focused specifically on stats instead of looking at the player skill set.  

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And there's a guarantee that any edge outside of Bosa will be good in this draft? I don't think so. I think a guy like Allen stands the same chance of being good as the same that Williams can be a good LT, Harry can be a good WR, etc.

No the draft is never a guarantee but I feel pretty good about drafting the best DL men in the SEC with 14 sacks.  Yes they can be good but you have to rank them in terms of how good you think they become.  Right now Harry and Williams don't appear to be on the same level of prospect as Allen or Bosa or a few others in this draft.

Just found out that Preston Williams from Colorado State is entering the draft. He went to the same High school I graduated from, so I've been watching him for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if he jumps higher on boards after the combine time. 

Archived