2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

You’re wrong here. Just because there’s not a top-tier LT available doesn’t mean the class isn’t good... 

C Matt Paradis - top 3 center in the NFL and consistent. 

OT Trent Brown - young, talented, and can play both LT and RT. Elite at RT. 

OT Daryl Williams - coming off a knee injury but one of the best RTs in the game when healthy.

OT Ja’Wuan James - young and solid RT with upside. 

OT Donovan Smith - Has been a middle of the pack left tackle his entire career, but may be a better fit inside or on the right. Kind of reminds me of Saffold and could have a similar career arc if he were to shift inside. 

OT Bobby Massie - middle of the pack RT, but steady and a reliable pass protector. 

LG Rodger Saffold - Quietly one of the best LGs in the NFL. 

OL Kelechi Osmele - was one of our top free agent targets a few years back. Has been elite 4 of the past 5 seasons (having a down year this year; who isn’t on the raiders). Is likely to get cut due to the guarantees in his contract expiring but should be a hot commodity after Rodger Saffold. 

When it’s all said and done, I expect 2 (if not 3) of these players to wind up on the Jets. 

What I meant was good LTs, LGs and C’s that will hit the market. Most the guys you named are RTs. Shell is one of our only bright spots on the OL.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What I meant was good LTs, LGs and C’s that will hit the market. Most the guys you named are RTs. Shell is one of our only bright spots on the OL.

Beachum really hasn’t played that poorly. His run blocking is atrocious but outside of one game he’s been a good pass protector. I have no problem with him being our LT next year. 

As far as LG/C, if you sign Paradis and Saffold our line improves tremendously. I like Shell but you can’t neglect other options if there is a potential upgrade. 

Ultimately I expect replacements at LG and C only as the Jets will week to reinvigorate the run game, while keeping the tackles and Winters in place.

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Beachum really hasn’t played that poorly. His run blocking is atrocious but outside of one game he’s been a good pass protector. I have no problem with him being our LT next year. 

As far as LG/C, if you sign Paradis and Saffold our line improves tremendously. I like Shell but you can’t neglect other options if there is a potential upgrade. 

Ultimately I expect replacements at LG and C only as the Jets will week to reinvigorate the run game, while keeping the tackles and Winters in place.

As long as we improve the OL I'm happy. I prefer the draft bc a guy like Beachum isn't going to be our LT for more than another year or 2 probably. But as long as we are protecting and giving Darnold time and opening up lanes for our RBs I'll be happy.

To show you how bad this year is going, let take a look at Rob Anderson, & Enunwa. our one two receiving core.

Rob Anderson 23 receptions for 368 yards, take away the Lion game the first game of the season, and he has done next to nothing.

Enunwa   33 receptions for418 yards. He has had injuries which slow him down for two games.

How much of their very poor season is because of flat out lousy QB play, and lousy play calling I am not sure.

Too bad Spencer Long was out today because he needed games to make the case to be remained with Jets as LG for the rest of his contract.  Last week game suggested Long could be the one.  One game isn't enough but if so then I want Matt Paradis at C. I don't trust Long and Brian Winters' strength in long run if Jets are sticking with them.

Otherwise, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner could be a good look at for 1st round selection and Phil Haynes for 3rd.

Edited by JetsandI

8 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

If we land #1 do we take Bosa? Would any team pay a King's Ransom for him?

I can't see us landing #1 unfortunately.  OAK and SF both are not likely to win another game unless LAR rests their whole team week 17.  That still leaves OAK needing another win.  We'll probably go out and beat GB though because we can't have nice things and they are collapsing at the moment.

Bosa is a lock for #1 to either SF or OAK.  Both are desperate for a pass rusher.  Either way we are in good position to trade out of #3 for the best QB to a QB needy team (Haskins probably) or take the next best pass rusher (Ferrell or Allen) both look like future studs.  

I would love to drop to #9 with Jac for their 2020 future 1st and their 2019 2nd and another mid rounder (4th) to draft a stud WR like Harry/Metcalf or Little if he's there (I think he has the highest upside of any LT).  That would be ideal.  If not just take the best pass rusher on the board Ferrell or Allen and be thrilled that we could have a beastly DL next year if we draft one and sign one in FA.

Ideally for me is we get a trade partner to move back to take a LT or WR. LT might be addressed in FA so that might change things. But there’s really no one in FA that can change our WR group much. Gordon is the closest thing. If we can’t trade back and stay put (this next week is really our only winnable game the rest of the season imo). Then Ferrell looks like he might be the guy we’d draft at 3.