2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So Kolton Miller over Derwin James for example?

until some offensive prospects stand out and show Elite potential my top 3 are Bosa, Oliver and Williams. 

For me I think Williams and Harry are worth top 10 selections 

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Bears took a step forward and went defense in Round 1. Thing is they brought in two offensive minds to build up the offense paired with quality free agent signings and hitting on some mid to late round picks as well. 

For sure. But I don’t see us signing AR15, Burton. Drafting guys like Howard, Cohen, Miller.

I totally agree that step 1 should be to get great offensive minds in here. But we need the players as well. We keep naming guys that it’s worked for but the teams all made it happen by year 2. I just don’t see us getting it right and we wait longer and ruin our QB.

Lets say we miss out on Bell... how is this offense any better if we draft BPA and that player is defense Round 1? What did we do to make Darnold succeed? There's no big time OL in FA, there's no big time WRs in FA, Coleman at RB is the closest thing to a difference maker still at RB. And then we have no 2nd Rounder... so we then are relying on 3rd Rounders and later to be pieces to make Darnold a franchise QB (and obviously we wouldnt use every pick on offense from the 3rd on). My point is this franchise has to do something big.

If we want to 100% pick an offensive player we have to do everything we can to trade back. You’re fooling yourself if you think Alabama OT is a top 5 pick. I really want to get back into the second round. I would love to pull a Bellichick is trade back as many times as we can in the 1st and end up with a bunch of day 2 picks where all the offense should be getting selected. 

31 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If we want to 100% pick an offensive player we have to do everything we can to trade back. You’re fooling yourself if you think Alabama OT is a top 5 pick. I really want to get back into the second round. I would love to pull a Bellichick is trade back as many times as we can in the 1st and end up with a bunch of day 2 picks where all the offense should be getting selected. 

I'm all for a trade back. But like I say every year that's easier said than done. Normally it has to be a stacked QB draft in order to do that easily, and this is a very poor QB draft. Best thing for us would be that QB needy teams like Jacksonville and NYG are behind us in the draft and need to trade with us to get their guy.

We are not in position to reach for offense if it means passing on guys like Bosa, Ferrell and Allen.  All three look like elite pass rushers and top 5 picks.

We get better on offense by guys like Darnold and Herndon getting naturally better, by hiring a bright offensive mind to run the offense by putting the talent we have in the right position, by tweeking the OL and maybe drafting a new C, slide Long to LG, and finally going all in on the FA market in Bell and Funchess.  

I liked Williams early on this year but he has tailed off lately and is showing some doubts as a future stud LT.  We can't afford to take an average LT over a potential great pass rusher because we want offense.  That is terrible drafting. 

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For sure. But I don’t see us signing AR15, Burton. Drafting guys like Howard, Cohen, Miller.

I totally agree that step 1 should be to get great offensive minds in here. But we need the players as well. We keep naming guys that it’s worked for but the teams all made it happen by year 2. I just don’t see us getting it right and we wait longer and ruin our QB.

If that’s going to ruin Sam then he was doomed from the get go. 

What would be worse is pairing him with an offensive player this year in Round 1 because we simply think he needs it. 

I def think the offensive line and play calling solve many problems. I think receiving core wise we’re above average and running back is a simple fix. 

If we simply rebuilt the Line and had better play calling and play design and Sam stops turning it over then this team is probably in the playoff mix.

16 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

If that’s going to ruin Sam then he was doomed from the get go. 

What would be worse is pairing him with an offensive player this year in Round 1 because we simply think he needs it. 

I def think the offensive line and play calling solve many problems. I think receiving core wise we’re above average and running back is a simple fix. 

If we simply rebuilt the Line and had better play calling and play design and Sam stops turning it over then this team is probably in the playoff mix.

We still need that go to #1 receiver, we don't have that player on the roster yet. That will make all the difference in the world. 

With our dire need for a top WR, in the 2019 draft,

I don't know if there any WR worthy a high first round pick this year. I give you a list of first round picks of WR in JETS  history.

Santana Moss            B+

Keyshawn Johnson   A

Al Toon                        A

Lam Jones                   F       The guy was a total bust

Jerome Barkum           B+

2019  ?   FILL IN THE BLANK   -------------------------------------------------

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I guess our definition of Elite is different. Bc I don’t see any can’t miss guys in this draft. So if we are taking a risk (obviously the higher you draft the less the risk generally) I’d rather it be on offense. Bosa probably won’t be there (and he has some questions). So who are we looking at after that Ferrell, Sweat, Allen? All are risks. Just as big of a risk of that of Williams, Harry, Brown, Metcalf, etc. Bosa might be the only guy I’d say ok let’s draft him to. Anyone else I want the offensive guy!!!

I just don’t agree. I think you have to factor in the level of risk, positional value, etc. 

Knowing what I know right now, I’d have Ferrell and Allen ranked much higher than the others you mentioned. Sure, I guess you can take Williams and plug him in at RT the way PHI has with Johnson, but I wouldn’t be a huge fan of it. If Metcalf didn’t have the injuries, he’d probably be a top 10 lock IMO, but there’s concerns there. Due to missed time he hasn’t played enough and is a bit raw, but physically resembles Josh Gordon. I like Brown, but I think Enunwa has shown he can be a much better player when used correctly (a physical, possession receiver out of the slot)... if we sign him to an extension, Brown would be an intriguing fit since he’s best utilized in the slot and I don’t see him being a top 10 talent. I like Harry, but again, is he a top 10 player? Maybe a human highlight reel, but doesn’t look natural as a route runner as speed is TBD. 

In an ideal draft, the Jets would find a trade partner(s) to move out of the top 5 and let the BPA fall to them while stockpiling some picks, but if we’re stuck at 3/4/5, I’m opting for the BPA which would likely be a front 7 player. 

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

We still need that go to #1 receiver, we don't have that player on the roster yet. That will make all the difference in the world. 

You have many avenues to find that guy. Draft, Trade and Free Agency. 

If a guy stands out in the process then sure you grab him but at the top of that draft we cannot afford to reach.

13 hours ago, doumeyer said:

With our dire need for a top WR, in the 2019 draft,

I don't know if there any WR worthy a high first round pick this year. I give you a list of first round picks of WR in JETS  history.

Santana Moss            B+

Keyshawn Johnson   A

Al Toon                        A

Lam Jones                   F       The guy was a total bust

Jerome Barkum           B+

2019  ?   FILL IN THE BLANK   -------------------------------------------------

Unless we make a trade I don't think a #1 WR is in our cards this year. Even if we draft a WR like Harry, Metcalf, Brown in Round 1... they will take a year or 2 to play like a #1 WR. Like I said before the only option for us to maybe get that guy is Josh Gordon. He's a FA, but obviously he carries A LOT of risk. But a risk might be what this team needs. Bell doesn't exactly have a clean past either but not nearly as bad as Gordon.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, Bobby816 said:

There's no big time OL in FA

You’re wrong here. Just because there’s not a top-tier LT available doesn’t mean the class isn’t good... 

C Matt Paradis - top 3 center in the NFL and consistent. 

OT Trent Brown - young, talented, and can play both LT and RT. Elite at RT. 

OT Daryl Williams - coming off a knee injury but one of the best RTs in the game when healthy.

OT Ja’Wuan James - young and solid RT with upside. 

OT Donovan Smith - Has been a middle of the pack left tackle his entire career, but may be a better fit inside or on the right. Kind of reminds me of Saffold and could have a similar career arc if he were to shift inside. 

OT Bobby Massie - middle of the pack RT, but steady and a reliable pass protector. 

LG Rodger Saffold - Quietly one of the best LGs in the NFL. 

OL Kelechi Osmele - was one of our top free agent targets a few years back. Has been elite 4 of the past 5 seasons (having a down year this year; who isn’t on the raiders). Is likely to get cut due to the guarantees in his contract expiring but should be a hot commodity after Rodger Saffold. 

When it’s all said and done, I expect 2 (if not 3) of these players to wind up on the Jets. 

Archived