Preseason WK3: Broncos @ Redskins

turtle28

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Someone was actually paid to make that Expeditions Virginia Lottery "Clown" commercial ...

America, what a country!

His thumb got bent back. Hopefully it’s just a sprain and he didn’t tear anything. 

If it’s serious, I’d trade for Bridgewater.

Ups: Adrian Peterson

Downs: Everything else

Peterson just said on his first carry he hesitated a bit before he hit the A gap and he was disappointed he hesitated because he felt he should’ve taken it to the house.

Gruden said he felt Alex had some throws he’d like to have back, ya think Jay?

He also pointed out that Crowder, Reed and CT didn’t play.

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ups: Adrian Peterson

Downs: Everything else

Peterson just said on his first carry he hesitated a bit before he hit the A gap and he was disappointed he hesitated because he felt he should’ve taken it to the house.

Gruden said he felt Alex had some throws he’d like to have back, ya think Jay?

He also pointed out that Crowder, Reed and CT didn’t play.

Add Settle to the "Ups"

Alex Smith is exactly who I said he was. Hope you all enjoyed it because that's what you're getting all season.

You ever wonder why Smith had so few interceptions? You saw why tonight. He only throws to wide open receivers. That's why he had a career year last season. He had two receivers who were tops in the NFL in getting separation, and Kareem Hunt to dump it off to.

Yea yea yea .... didnt have Crowder and Reed. Well the likelihood of Reed making it to Week 8 is about the same as my wife playing a threesome with Gianna Michael's. And Crowder .... he still has some things to prove.

It's going to be a rough year for the offense. 

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Alex Smith is exactly who I said he was. Hope you all enjoyed it because that's what you're getting all season.

You ever wonder why Smith had so few interceptions? You saw why tonight. He only throws to wide open receivers. That's why he had a career year last season. He had two receivers who were tops in the NFL in getting separation, and Kareem Hunt to dump it off to.

Yea yea yea .... didnt have Crowder and Reed. Well the likelihood of Reed making it to Week 8 is about the same as my wife playing a threesome with Gianna Michael's. And Crowder .... he still has some things to prove.

There was like three people who posted here that where happy about the trade lol. Nobody wanted Alex Smith. 

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Add Settle to the "Ups"

Add 82 as blocking fullback. Best blocker we have had there years. Peterson runs a lot better with a fullback. Will Gruden adapt or insist on a single back or worse one of our terrible blocking TE’s blocking in backfield?

Alex Smith 3-8  33 yards  1 sack for -5 yards so net of 28 yards and a 50 qb rating  targeted WR’s just two times instead throwing to TE’s and RB. That’s the check down Smith I have always known 

on the positive side maybe we only need to keep 4-5 WR’s and can have a fullback 

Colt Brennan- 3-8  19 yards two sacks for - 15 so net of 4 yards passing qb rating of 46

Kevin  Hogan 7-9 88 yards 2 TDS q.v. rating of 147

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

He had two receivers who were tops in the NFL in getting separation, and Kareem Hunt to dump it off to

This is the problem with taking statistics out of context. 

Receivers who catch a substantial portion of their passes at or near the line of scrimmage will always have an inflated “separation” metric. Which is why TEs and slot receivers are always crammed at the top of that particular leaderboard. Anyone who has ever watched Albert Wilson play knows that he is not even remotely close to being among the best WRs in the NFL at getting separation — it’s a scheme effect, not a skill effect. Tyreek Hill is more gifted and actually can separate, but he also caught a very high percentage of his passes at/near the LOS, which is inflating his separation number too. 

Chris Thompson caught more passes per game than Kareem Hunt, and the two teams completed basically an identical number of passes to RBs (Redskins RBs caught 86 passes and Chiefs RBs caught 90). There doesn’t seem to be much reason to expect a substantial change for Smith (or the Redskins) in the amount of passes to RBs.

None of this means you’re necessarily wrong about Smith. It just means you’re wrong in exaggerating the quality of the talent around him in KC and the amount that said talent contributed to his success last season. The accurate way to view Smith remains to see him as a guy who had a career year at age 33 — the question is whether something clicked with him that will be sustained for the rest of his career or whether that All-Pro caliber play was nothing more than a fluke. It could be either, and frankly you’re much too sharp a guy to think that 3 preseason drives could possibly prove anything either way.  

Really this game means nothing and agree we shouldn’t read too much into this

old man Peterson looked good but the key to him is can he do it a few weeks or a season. He’s old and been battered but he’s so much better than anything else we have there now, lauvao is terrible, Smith is a coach killer, Nancy is still Nancy, Anderson is at best a third teamer, swearinger is no where near as good as he says he is, Norman is not a lock down corner- he needs a strong pass rush, Davis is the second worst blocking TE in nfl- reed is the worst, our coaches can’t get plays in on time, colt is the toughest redskin, we have a bunch of young guys who need development especially on defense

the team was clearly not properly motivated or prepared to play. 

To me, this looked very much like every other preseason under Gruden- poor preparation, little to no effort, poor tackling, can’t get plays in, penalties= all attributes of a poorly coached team. But I’m done beating my head against the wall and demanding Gruden be fired. Danny is either or both uncaring and or incompetent for keeping Allen and Gruden. Expecting anything different is foolish

” We are what we repeatedly do” Aristotle 

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Add Settle to the "Ups"

Good point, he was an UP. Me personally, I don’t like to see him start at NT and move Payne to LDE. That would be the best wat to really have a stout first down and short yardage run D.

I’d also say Phil Taylor looked good last night. I think he should make the team over Hood but I fear Gruden will keep Hood.

Richardson looked pretty good too, he and Doctson should’ve gotten more targets. I felt that Alex locked on to  VD too much and the Broncos D was prepared. Alex just missed VD for a big play one time, he overshot him by a yard, if they connect there, it’s a 30-40 yard completion on the 2nd drive.

I don’t blame the players as much as I blame Gruden. The talent is certainly there but they simply aren’t ready to play when it’s game time. I’m not sure if it’s his lackadaisical approach or what but Smith is far too talented to be looking lost out there. 

If we start the season like we normally and lose to the Cardinals then clearly Grudens approach is the issue. Realistically the Redskins should start the season 2-0 as they are better than both teams they are facing. This team does have the talent to make a playoff run and having AP here taking 10-15 carries a game should help out quite a bit. Gruden is coaching for his job this year. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Good point, he was an UP. Me personally, I don’t like to see him start at NT and move Payne to LDE. That would be the best wat to really have a stout first down and short yardage run D.

I’d also say Phil Taylor looked good last night. I think he should make the team over Hood but I fear Gruden will keep Hood.

Richardson looked pretty good too, he and Doctson should’ve gotten more targets. I felt that Alex locked on to  VD too much and the Broncos D was prepared. Alex just missed VD for a big play one time, he overshot him by a yard, if they connect there, it’s a 30-40 yard completion on the 2nd drive.

The thing about keeping Taylor is it allows you to rotate Settle and Taylor in the middle while moving Payne all around the defensive line. You could have a look that features Allen, Settle and Payne on the DL. Keeping Hood at this point doesn’t make very much sense. 

10 hours ago, Slateman said:

It’s one preseason game where he only played 4 series. Also, Crowder, CT and Reed didn’t play. Those are this teams’ chain movers. 

There are plenty of times when a passing game looks like trash for a quarter or half but then gets in sync in the second half. That’s happened with our passing game countless times the last 5 years.

Archived