PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

That’s actually a great idea. Never thought about it. Right now with only six spots if you get off to a bad start you almost have to sell. 8 spots would really open things up - most 12 team leagues have 6 spots anyway, so it would make sense to have more. 

I would be in favor of expanding the playoff pool. 

We should also consider changing the trade deadline from 12pm to 12am. It's easier to finish talks at night than it is while all of us are at work (or sleeping for those of us who work late). It would also allow for the deadline to finalize after the games finish for the week. I don't recall previous years, but there were still games being played after our deadline hit this year making injuries a potential concern for trading teams. This year it didn't come into play (Chicago/Minnesota), but it could be a potential issue in the future. 

21 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

You could even do two 8 team conferences versus 4 but some people may love the 4-4 team. 

I’ve never liked the four team divisions. Never made much sense to me. I’d prefer larger divisions or just no divisions at all. There is a lot of tradition there though and I think some people like them. 

Expanded playoffs seems like a slam dunk though. Keep people more engaged longer. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I’ve never liked the four team divisions. Never made much sense to me. I’d prefer larger divisions or just no divisions at all. There is a lot of tradition there though and I think some people like them. 

Expanded playoffs seems like a slam dunk though. Keep people more engaged longer. 

Yes but who knows if what makes sense will happen.

If not next year by week 6 I'll be selling off most likely because no incentive to hang in too long 

Some history regarding the playoffs.

The first 4-5 years we had 4 teams that made the playoffs, the championship game was played wk 16.

Then we changed to a 6 team playoff with the championship game playing wk 15. At that time the ESPN site only allowed 2, 4, or 6 Rd playoffs.

We have always had 4 divisions.

If we switch to an 8 team playoff, it would eliminate the 2 top teams from receiving playoff bye wk bye's.

Overall I'm open to the idea of expanding the playoffs to 8 next year.

Yes, the trade deadline will be adj next year. This year I just let the date rollover from the prior year but the day changed to a Monday, it was an oversight on my part. Same date different day. Tue, Wed would be best.

Edited by WE-R-Lions

I don’t think that it’s a huge loss with eliminating the byes since we play unbalanced schedules anyway. I’d rather try to keep more owners engaged than give the top two seeds a bye. To me that’s better for the health of the league. 

Seems at least worth a discussion and then a vote. Obviously the top teams may be against it but I imagine most others would be in favor. 

• Like 1

The only issue I see is that a change in playoffs people might have traded differently etc this year. 

In my big money league any major changes we do not intact for two years after approval. So expanding to 8 would be a 2025 type thing the way we do it.

This alleviates some of this I wouldn't have traded this player or these picks a bit. 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

The only issue I see is that a change in playoffs people might have traded differently etc this year. 

In my big money league any major changes we do not intact for two years after approval. So expanding to 8 would be a 2025 type thing the way we do it.

This alleviates some of this I wouldn't have traded this player or these picks a bit. 

I personally don’t think that’s a big deal in this scenario, but would agree if we were taking about keeper expansion or retraction.

Expanding playoffs next year wouldn’t have significantly changed manager behavior this year. The benefit we would get in the (hopeful) uptick in participation and activity should over rule that minor drawback. I feel the same in regards to changing the division structure. 

If we establish the playoff expansion before the off-season activity opens up it shouldn’t be an issue, but I wouldn’t wait beyond that so everyone can plan accordingly. 

Edited by X_Factor_40
  • Like 1

We won't be making a change to the playoff format this year. When we changed the playoffs from 4 teams to 6 teams it was good for the league. I feel moving to an 8 team playoff could benefit the league as well to a lesser degree, but any more than that could have a negative affect on GM'S putting in the same attention needed to qualify for the playoffs. Adding playoff slots does water down the achievement of qualifying for the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, WE-R-Lions said:

We won't be making a change to the playoff format this year. When we changed the playoffs from 4 teams to 6 teams it was good for the league. I feel moving to an 8 team playoff could benefit the league as well to a lesser degree, but any more than that could have a negative affect on GM'S putting in the same attention needed to qualify for the playoffs. Adding playoff slots does water down the achievement of qualifying for the playoffs.

You’re not even willing to have a vote or discussion? It’s very subjective. 

I know it’s in the rules but I’m not sure this sort of total power is great for the league. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

You’re not even willing to have a vote or discussion? It’s very subjective. 

I know it’s in the rules but I’m not sure this sort of total power is great for the league. 

I didn't say we wouldn't vote on it for next year, but not changing this year.