PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

7 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

We won't be making a change to the playoff format this year. When we changed the playoffs from 4 teams to 6 teams it was good for the league. I feel moving to an 8 team playoff could benefit the league as well to a lesser degree, but any more than that could have a negative affect on GM'S putting in the same attention needed to qualify for the playoffs. Adding playoff slots does water down the achievement of qualifying for the playoffs.

I agree anything more than 8 is too much.  I do think 8 is solid though given the fact we want teams to try and put in an effort.  I also wouldn't be opposed to following the NFL's structure, since this is fantasy football and should sort of act like the NFL IMO.  There are 16 teams in a conference and 7 of them make the playoffs with the top seed in the regular season getting the bye week.  This gives incentive to try for the top seed and benefit for being the best team but also adds one more team to be in contention to win it all.  I would vote for that over 8 but I like both 7 and 8 over 6.  

42 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree anything more than 8 is too much.  I do think 8 is solid though given the fact we want teams to try and put in an effort.  I also wouldn't be opposed to following the NFL's structure, since this is fantasy football and should sort of act like the NFL IMO.  There are 16 teams in a conference and 7 of them make the playoffs with the top seed in the regular season getting the bye week.  This gives incentive to try for the top seed and benefit for being the best team but also adds one more team to be in contention to win it all.  I would vote for that over 8 but I like both 7 and 8 over 6.  

Good point on having 7 playoff spots & the top dog gets a bye.

Following the NFL's structure is also why I like the 4 Div & the Div winners qualify for the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Great point. I do think 7 makes sense so at least top one gets a bye. 

in my money league we adopted a 8 playoff double bye scenario. It started to really incentivize activity.

playoff week one:

5 vs 8

6 vs 7

(1-4 off)

playoff week two:

3 vs winner of 6/7

4 vs winner of 5/8

(1-2 off)

Playoff week three:

1 vs winner of 4 vs 5/8

2 vs winner of 3 vs 6/7

Championship:

winner above game vs each other

we did this for several reasons:

* 17th game added chance for 4 weeks of playoff

* byes so late in year really penalize the top teams from stars being available so not truly their team that earned them 1 and 2 spots

* rewards the 3/4 team a bye as well so more interest later in year. Might not lock in that double bye as 1 or 2 but still get to have a bye

* so far this year in our first run at it this has been success. Far less sells offs. More action.

This week our 1-4 are off and 5-8 are battling it out. 

There are examples out their of 8 team double bye brackets. It's not popular but in our inaugural run at it we like it a lot. 

15 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

To add more to what I am saying the 1-4 that was off was not 4 best records either. It was 1-4 based on each division winner and then followed by record.

So you also are incentivized for winning division. 

But that's a super competitive league with 250 buy in. 

My ideal structure for this league would be that the four division winners make the playoffs, then the three remaining teams with the most points for also make it. The playoff seeding would be based on points for.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My ideal structure for this league would be that the four division winners make the playoffs, then the three remaining teams with the most points for also make it. The playoff seeding would be based on points for.

Do you mean strictly points or record with points being the tie breaker?   Like it would be a roto football league if we just use points. 

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Do you mean strictly points or record with points being the tie breaker?   Like it would be a roto football league if we just use points. 

yea not fan of points at all....

Each division winner making it and then the next 3 best records would be good with the best overall record having a bye

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Top four teams would make it based on winning their division, so it wouldn't be strictly points.

The fact that record is relied on over points has always been one of fantasy football's greatest flaws. You don't play defense. You only control how many points you score. The fact that lesser teams are seeded above significantly better teams because they played lesser opponents has always been absurd.

One other idea I’ve seen in a few other leagues: add a comp pick for winning the consolation bracket. Most leagues put it at the end of the second round or so. So the winner of the consolation bracket would have their last pick in the draft converted to pick 2.17. Some leagues do a pick after the first round but that seems like too much to me. 

Just an idea. That’s the 33rd pick in the draft so it’s not like you’re getting a sure stud but it might keep a few more people engaged longer. Could be fun. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

One other idea I’ve seen in a few other leagues: add a comp pick for winning the consolation bracket. Most leagues put it at the end of the second round or so. So the winner of the consolation bracket would have their last pick in the draft converted to pick 2.17. Some leagues do a pick after the first round but that seems like too much to me. 

Just an idea. That’s the 33rd pick in the draft so it’s not like you’re getting a sure stud but it might keep a few more people engaged longer. Could be fun. 

Not against this at all. Good suggestion.

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Top four teams would make it based on winning their division, so it wouldn't be strictly points.

The fact that record is relied on over points has always been one of fantasy football's greatest flaws. You don't play defense. You only control how many points you score. The fact that lesser teams are seeded above significantly better teams because they played lesser opponents has always been absurd.

Real sports does this all the time though.  If you are in a weaker division you play crappier teams and get in over likely better teams who had tougher opponents.  Its part of sports. Except college football where people pick the top 4 teams instead of just using records. 

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Real sports does this all the time though.  If you are in a weaker division you play crappier teams and get in over likely better teams who had tougher opponents.  Its part of sports. Except college football where people pick the top 4 teams instead of just using records. 

What? I've never understood this argument.

In real sports, part of your performance is trying to stop the opposing team from scoring. In fantasy, you can only control how many points you score.

When determining who the best owners are for that season, records are irrelevant. The best owners are sorted by points for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What? I've never understood this argument.

In real sports, part of your performance is trying to stop the opposing team from scoring. In fantasy, you can only control how many points you score.

When determining who the best owners are for that season, records are irrelevant. The best owners are sorted by points for.

Sports is trying to outscore your opponent.  So is fantasy.  Yes we have no control over any of it, but thats what makes it fun.  If you want to play bestball, play bestball. But the head to head component of fantasy football is what makes it fun to me.  And sometimes that means you get screwed in a week you score a ton but the other team scores more.  It also means sometimes you win when you have a rough week.  Just like real sports.  The Vikings could make the playoffs after winning a game 3 to 0.  Yet we lose when we score 13 or 22.  The New York Giants are the second lowest scoring team in the NFL and are 1 game out of the playoffs and that makes it fun.  Similarly in fantasy, having teams that aren't as good win games makes it fun, and gives people a chance to still compete.  

33 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sports is trying to outscore your opponent.  So is fantasy.  Yes we have no control over any of it, but thats what makes it fun.  If you want to play bestball, play bestball. But the head to head component of fantasy football is what makes it fun to me.  And sometimes that means you get screwed in a week you score a ton but the other team scores more.  It also means sometimes you win when you have a rough week.  Just like real sports.  The Vikings could make the playoffs after winning a game 3 to 0.  Yet we lose when we score 13 or 22.  The New York Giants are the second lowest scoring team in the NFL and are 1 game out of the playoffs and that makes it fun.  Similarly in fantasy, having teams that aren't as good win games makes it fun, and gives people a chance to still compete.  

I'll never understand this. Fantasy is nothing like real sports.

Real sports:

Team A beats Team B, 24-3

Team C beats Team D, 40-35

Conclusion: Team A dominated defensively and put up an impressive win. Team C won in a shootout, but the defense allowed 35 points and needs to play better. Team C might be the best team of the four, but Team A could very well be better.

Fantasy:

Team A beats Team B, 24-3

Team C beats Team D, 40-35

Conclusion: Team A only won because Team B is hot garbage. Team D was clearly better than Team A as well. Despite the records, Team A is the 3rd worst team and was lucky to get the win.

They just aren't even comparable. When you can't control how many points your opponent scores, the only thing that matters is points for.