What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Sorry I just posted a big thing in the stock investing thread. That may help. Sorry...thanks!

I mean, the answer you got there is pretty great. It's never a bad idea to diversify your retirement money.

You can do the whole process online with Vanguard.

Emergency fund > general savings > retirement max out funds > dabble in more risky investments if you like, or don't

Sounds like you're on the right path.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Why do people do "xmas shopping"? If you have kids, ok. If you feel obligated to buy other adults crap, there's something very wrong, unless you genuinely enjoy doing that.

Just family.

Kids, wife, in-laws, parents, etc.

Maybe a bottle of booze for a couple of my good friends.

What other adults would you buy for?  Like your coworkers?

^I thought that was part of being a kid, being forced to do things you don't like. I guess when you're an adult you're supposed to voluntarily do them? I dunno, the older I get the more I'm confused by everything, mainly why people continue to do things they don't like that aren't mandatory.

• Like 1

Just now, Mossburg said:

^I thought that was part of being a kid, being forced to do things you don't like. I guess when you're an adult you're supposed to voluntarily do them? I dunno, the older I get the more I'm confused by everything, mainly why people continue to do things they don't like that aren't mandatory.

Since when is buying gifts for family not mandatory?

What world are you living in?  What dude likes Christmas shopping?  Yet we all still do it. 

What in the hell are you even arguing or advocating?

^I dunno, I don't buy anything for anyone, they don't buy anything back, unless they have a good idea of a needed item, and everyone has a great time. I don't have kids, otherwise I'd probably buy some presents there.

Probably seems like an alien concept, not feeling obligated to purchase junk for a dozen of people during a certain deadline, but seems to work somehow.

Edited by Mossburg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^I dunno, I don't buy anything for anyone, they don't buy anything back, unless they have a good idea of a needed item, and everyone has a great time. I don't have kids, otherwise I'd probably buy some presents there.

Probably seems like an alien concept, not feeling obligated to purchase junk for a dozen of people during a certain deadline, but seems to work somehow.

Can I join your family?

10 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Im not sure if you just want to argue about something or what, but i don't have to explain what societal expectations are do I? 

The idea of showing up empty handed to Christmas like a 18 year old piggybacking of their parents gift isn't an option for everyone.  Maybe your family doesn't exchange gifts, but, again, I'm sure you're quite aware that many do and having a gift is an expectation.

"Hey granny, I know you were expecting a gift but this dude online says that it's dumb and now I'm woke so deal with it." isnt going to work for everyone, but I'm glad it works for you.

Just curious, you married?

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Why do people do "xmas shopping"? If you have kids, ok. If you feel obligated to buy other adults crap, there's something very wrong, unless you genuinely enjoy doing that.

This this this. My family is relatively holiday-neutral, but still.. if you're in high school or under, you get a gift. My adult siblings.. kick rocks.

Maybe if I had a religious wife or something.

20 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Your family and mine seem to be on the same page. Saves so much time, money, effort, stress.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

This this this. My family is relatively holiday-neutral, but still.. if you're in high school or under, you get a gift. My adult siblings.. kick rocks.

Maybe if I had a religious wife or something.

You don't get your momma a gift?

She gave you life, you give her disappointment.  Smh....

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You don't get your momma a gift?

She gave you life, you give her disappointment.  Smh....

No. We haven't given each other gifts in years. Not for Xmas anyway.

Birthdays are another thing. But that's a celebration of a person. Xmas seems more and more like spending money for the sake of spending money.

Just now, cddolphin said:

No. We haven't given each other gifts in years. Not for Xmas anyway.

Birthdays are another thing. But that's a celebration of a person. Xmas seems more and more like spending money for the sake of spending money.

Maybe.

It's also a great opportunity to one up a sibling.

Idgaf about the money, that's not the issue, I just hate trying to find the "perfect" gift for everyone.  Something THEY will love, maybe something they want but would never buy for themselves.