What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

If only we could identify who initially propped up culture in the argument and used it as a justification for poor decisions.

...or, wild idea: why don't we stick to the original topic about a dude I knew in high school? Just gonna put that out there. Take it or leave it. 

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

The usual suspects arrive

Ha, I've seen this episode. Spoiler alert, it doesn't end well for you.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

why don't we stick to the original topic about a 9-figure settlement my friend's wife is seeking?

Yeah, that's what I was discussing. I didn't bring up the possibility of her Paki family absolving her of individual responsibilty because they make crappy decisions mired in cultural nonsense.

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Spoiler alert, it doesn't end well for you.

Jump down from your speech-protected bubble wrap layered pedestal when you know damn well I can't branch out from my comments without breaking rules. Let your posts stand on their own merit for the rest of us to read, claim victory and move on per usual.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

Yeah, that's what I was discussing. I didn't bring up the possibility of her Paki family absolving her of individual responsibilty because they make crappy decisions mired in cultural nonsense.

...you literally changed my words up. Like... actually changed up what I said to fit your argument. My original post had little to do with the actual divorce, more to do with the entitled rich kid I got into it with in high school. I echoed that, then you double down on it. 

Said it before, you gotta work on your delivery. 

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Let your posts stand on their own merit for the rest of us to read, claim victory and move on per usual.

I would let them stand on their own merits if you weren't changing my words, princess.

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Just found out a guy I fought in HS is in a high profile divorce case in Houston. Apparently, he's worth several millions now, and his wife is looking at an eighth figure settlement. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/high-profile-100-million-divorce-case-plays-out-in-houston-court

Part of me thinks I should have been friends with him - I could be driving a gorgeous luxury car. Part of my thinks I would have done everyone a favor by really beating him silly...

58 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

classy

51 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If you knew the guy, you'd side with her. 

47 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I'd side with her if I felt her tangible contributions to the marriage exceeded $10,000,000.

You chose a scumbag, you don't get paid for it just because you got burned.

42 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

You forget - in Indian/Pakistani culture, you really don't choose anything when it comes to marriage (arranged marriages and whatnot).

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

...you literally changed my words up. Like... actually changed up what I said to fit your argument. My original post had little to do with the actual divorce, more to do with the entitled rich kid I got into it with in high school. I echoed that, then you double down on it. 

Said it before, you gotta work on your delivery. 

I would let them stand on their own merits if you weren't changing my words, princess.

You're being intentionally obtuse. You brought up the divorce, desired settlement, then when I had a response regarding the latter you brought up her Paki background.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

(me) Part of me thinks I should have been friends with him - I could be driving a gorgeous luxury car. Part of my thinks I would have done everyone a favor by really beating him silly...

See, here's the punchline to my post. (No pun intended). Perhaps I should simplify it next time we interact? Maybe break out some crayons, a bit of glitter glue, construction paper?

I’m legitimately confused what’s going on here. ET talks about a specific instance of a divorce and then is chastised for bringing up the backstory of that specific instance? I’m so very confused what’s going on here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

You’re implying that we need either accept all cultural norms as “that’s there culture” or not at all, correct?

Let me choose my words carefully and deliberately.

I have heard the claim that "behavior being based in culture isn't an excuse when the behavior is reprehensible, undesirable, doesn't mesh with the intended / desired contemporary social commnentary".

I have heard another claim when it comes to **certain cultural practices**, that we shouldn't forcibly divorce communities from their cultural practices even if we don't agree with them or their outcomes.

I take issue with this contradiction, thus my statement ""Culture" excuses either fly all the time, or none of the time." Using culture as either a sufficient rationale for some undesirable behaviors (forced marriages with the threat of death) but denying that classification for other behaviors (do I really need to go into detail?) seems to me to be an intellectually bankrupt position.

Just now, iPwn said:

I’m legitimately confused what’s going on here. ET talks about a specific instance of a divorce and then is chastised for bringing up the backstory of that specific instance? I’m so very confused what’s going on here.

Glad I'm not the only one.

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Let me choose my words carefully and deliberately.

I have heard the claim that "behavior being based in culture isn't an excuse when the behavior is reprehensible, undesirable, doesn't mesh with the intended / desired contemporary social commnentary".

I have heard another claim when it comes to **certain cultural practices**, that we shouldn't forcibly divorce communities from their cultural practices even if we don't agree with them or their outcomes.

I take issue with this contradiction, thus my statement ""Culture" excuses either fly all the time, or none of the time." Using culture as either a sufficient rationale for some undesirable behaviors (forced marriages with the threat of death) but denying that classification for other behaviors (do I really need to go into detail?) seems to me to be an intellectually bankrupt position.

So I’m clear...

It’s culturally taboo in American culture to eat horse. In other countries it isn’t. In the US, a cultural norm that really has no purpose other than being a cultural norm is circumcisions. If I accept that some people can eat horse and that some people can perform chrcumcisions without caring, I must then accept honor killings, slavery, and female circumcisions as acceptable cultural behaviors as well?

Just clarifying.

In other news (because I feel as if I need to walk away from this while my BP is normal): My wife starts up her internship on Tuesday - paid internship for the next two school years, so I'm no longer paying for everything myself!

Everything's coming up ET!