What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

In other news (because I feel as if I need to walk away from this while my BP is normal): My wife starts up her internship on Tuesday - paid internship for the next two school years, so I'm no longer paying for everything myself!

Everything's coming up ET!

What's the internship in?

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

So I’m clear...

It’s culturally taboo in American culture to eat horse. In other countries it isn’t. In the US, a cultural norm that really has no purpose other than being a cultural norm is circumcisions. If I accept that some people can eat horse and that some people can perform chrcumcisions without caring, I must then accept honor killings and female circumcisions as acceptable cultural behaviors as well?

Just clarifying.

That is a good example of the contradiction I take issue with. You can't slap a "culture" label to explain away some behaviors but not others. So if they don't fly all the time.. they shouldn't be used as an appropriate explanatory factor for convenient issues which have negative consequences.

For example, I would take issue with Sally Sue picketing in front of a organization that promotes "traditional marriage" for stated reasons of it being a "remnant of past cultures which should have no bearing on modern times", but who also thinks it's peachy that women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to drive because "it's their culture". Am I making sense? It's a selective shield.

Edited by cddolphin

4 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

What's the internship in?

She's working towards her BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) so she'll be starting as a BCBA Assistant at my son's school. She gets to work with Autistic kids on things like Behavioral, Occupational and Speech therapy.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

She's working towards her BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) so she'll be starting as a BCBA Assistant at my son's school. She gets to work with Autistic kids on things like Behavioral, Occupational and Speech therapy.

Oh awesome. Challenging field for sure. 

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

That is a good example of the contradiction I take issue with. You can't slap a "culture" label to explain away some behaviors but not others. So if they don't fly all the time.. they shouldn't be used as an appropriate explanatory factor for convenient issues which have negative consequences.

So all people should view horses as pets, I presume?

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

So all people should view horses as solely pets, I presume?

No? Where am I coming off as a cultural authoritarian?

Maybe my edit above will clarify.

My issues stem not from particular practices necessarily, but in inconsistent applications of protecting some behaviors using cultural explanations but denying the same context to other issues that may be less politically open for discussion.

So when someone wants to absolve blame for forcing a woman to marry someone she doesn't want under the threat of death because of cultural reasons... well I hope whoever holds those opinions is consistent in how he/she applies that particular rationale.

Edited by cddolphin

2 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Oh awesome. Challenging field for sure. 

Yeah, but my wife is a natural at it. The school that brought her on was practically begging her to do her clinicals there, so they re-did some policies to create an internship that doubles for her clinical hours, so it's playing out really well.

They also have onsite daycare for my daughter, so they're actually planning a curriculum for my son that integrates her into the therapy, so he knows how to interact with her - which is HUGE, she'll be in daycare AND she'll be helpful in my son's therapy.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Is the entire school a school for autistic children or is she just working in a specific part of it that specializes 

Just now, Tyty said:

Is the entire school a school for autistic children or is she just working in a specific part of it that specializes 

The entire school is.

Behavioral Therapy Center is the technical term.

Just now, cddolphin said:

No? Where am I coming off as a cultural authoritarian?

Maybe my edit above will clarify.

If we say that it’s okay for someone to eat horse while we don’t, the only basis for it is that is cultural differences. There’s no other explanation.

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Yeah, but my wife is a natural at it. The school that brought her on was practically begging her to do her clinicals there, so they re-did some policies to create an internship that doubles for her clinical hours, so it's playing out really well.

They also have onsite daycare for my daughter, so they're actually planning a curriculum for my son that integrates her into the therapy, so he knows how to interact with her - which is HUGE, she'll be in daycare AND she'll be helpful in my son's therapy.

I didn't know your son had autism. Also didn't know you had a second child 

• Like 1

Just now, iPwn said:

If we say that it’s okay for someone to eat horse while we don’t, the only basis for it is that is cultural differences. There’s no other explanation.

Okay. You're driving on a parallel road to me but we're not quite understanding each other.

I'm not rejecting cultural context. I am saying that the logic of "This behavior is okay because it's steeped in their culture" isn't applied consistently; nor should it be, because both sides of that coin are an oversimplification.

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I didn't know your son had autism. Also didn't know you had a second child 

Yeah... he was diagnosed at 3, I think? Around that time, he just lost all words he gained, started up stimming activities (he takes his hands and "buzzes" them around his face; We call them his hand puppets) and started showing atypical behavior. We enrolled him into the program in our school district, and they got some improvement out of him, but then got on a waiting list for Texana and enrolled him in there when he was about 5. 

Yep #2 was a girl - she's 2.5 now, no development issues that we can notice. She's actually ahead of the curve in many things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Man, can't beat that. Sounds like the perfect situation for you guys. 

• Like 1

Just now, Desperado82 said:

Man, can't beat that. Sounds like the perfect situation for you guys. 

My only regret is that we went this path late - her first two years in school, she was focusing on working towards her RN. We didn't switch paths until about a year ago, so I wonder if we'd be done if we went down this road from the beginning.

It all works out in the end...