Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates

SteelKing728

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I hope the Lions never get rid of Dan Campbell. He’s a dolt. Players play hard and do enough to win games, and then it feels like he’s money on it in Vegas and does the dumbest thing at the worst time. The Lions are winning games in spite of Campbell. They’re losing them because of Campbell. And they will continue to as long as he’s their coach. 

I think you are seriously blinded by the results from his first year. A team doesn’t win 19 of their last 26 in spite of their head coach. That’s just a ridiculous take. 

• Like 3

I think Campbell does what he should do as a HC...motivate the players and lead them to the goal they are striving for.  He's never going to be accused of being an Xs and Os guy.  That wasn't Bud Grant's focus either. 

His job is to set the culture and hire others to do the dirty work of the Xs and Os and he's done a good job in doing so.  KOC is more of an Xs and Os guy than Campbell is and will likely in the future have to give up some of the reins of the offense, but will always be more involved in offensive game-planning than Campbell will be with the Lions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What a snub for the pro bowl.

The game is meaningless, but I think people still see the title of "pro bowler" as being valuable.

Only the most casual of fans thinks being a pro bowler is valuable any longer.  It's always been a popularity contest, but now when you can vote on social media, it makes it even worse. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There’s always the possibility that Ben Johnson doesn’t really want to be a head coach, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

But if he does have ambitions to be a head coach, I’m surprised that he passed on Seattle and Washington. You’re not going to find better situations. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s always the possibility that Ben Johnson doesn’t really want to be a head coach, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but if that's the case, then he shouldn't accept interviews in the first place. 

And as I said, I don't think Washington is all that enticing. I understand having the #2 pick, lots of cap space and new ownership are big plusses, but I see a lot of minuses, that at least in my opinion, outweigh those pluses.  The stadium is atrocious, the defense, once a strength, has been torn apart, and really, I don't think there's a good base to start from.  If you want a total rebuild job, sure, that's good...but, if I'm a new head coach, I'd rather be the next head coach than this one, because that guy's likely to be fired before he reaps the rewards. 

As far as Seattle, it's always hard to follow a legend, and in this case, it'd be even harder, because that team is also devoid of a lot of talent.  They have more young pieces to work (like Walker, JSN and Weatherspoon) with than Washington, but there's also a lot that needs to be done there to make them competitive long-term, as they were just treading water with Pete...and they have a far less favorable cap situation than Washington.