Biggest Surprise / Biggest Disappointment in 2018?

JLambert58

I'll go out on a limb and say Artie Burns will be the biggest surprise, shutting down his side of the field with regularity.

Comeback player of the year on defense:  Stephon Tuitt.  When he is healthy and dialed in, he is beastly.

Biggest disappointment on defense:  Morgan Burnett.  Whether injured or just looking old and slow, he never becomes the player with the Steelers that used to be with GB.

On offense, the biggest surprise will be James Washington.  By midseason, he along with JuJu and AB are the best WR tandem in the league.  (Takes me back, if you are old enough to remember, Art Monk, Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders for the Redskins)

Biggest disappointment:  (I'll take the easy way out)  Vance McDonald.  Plagued by injuries the whole season, never becoming the player we hoped he would be.  J James will have to step up big time. 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I have a feeling Matthew Thomas and Bud Dupree will be among the biggest surprises.

I hope you're right.  Thomas obviously could have a big year if he continues to progress.  He could easily unseat Bostic if he does.  

Would be very happy if Dupree surprises, but I'm not holding my breath.  

I can see Bell being a offensive disappointment. I think he started showing signs of slowing down last yr. I expect the steelers to use conner more which will take away carries from Bell.

Edmunds, I can see surprising on defense. He might produce some splash plays and look promising going forward(still expect some bad moments being a rookie and all)

Nice thread JL58, we needed this one B|

Not sure when it will happen of if it is a surprise but Adeiyi on D and on offence Connor. Samuels as a 3rd down back considering everyone thought he should get cut but he won't take over games or get many TD's.  Adeniyi has already shown more natural pass rushing technique than dupree and he hasn't even played that much football. He will represent #92 well IMO . 

disappointments on D, pick between dupree and burns (probably burns since he isn't surrounded by teammates help and it will be obvious when he gets burned ) . I would add Hargrave but I am not sure what scheme they will employ and he has limited snaps , so I will stay with the players that get full time snaps.

On offence Bell if he shows up heavy and gets hurt (and of course the drama with all that) . Also on offence if all the players are healthy and we don't outscore everyone, then Ben. It has been going on for too many years and no more excuses, it's time to put this team with all the weapons in the SB parade.  I don't think we have the D, but that is where Ben has to outscore with the most talented  offence IMO. 

Agree about Tuitt, when he is healthy, he is a force and quite a difference . 

@warfelg Watt is a concern if he has injuries but what bothers me is that they want to get production from dupree at Watts expense.  He won' have the stats due to a different role but I expect him to be a solid player. I don't like how they are going out of their way for dupree. 

@August4th agree about bell, but maybe we can make a midseason trade along with dupree with the bungles for Lawson, Carson and 2 RD2  picks :D

11 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I'll be bold....

Offensive Surprise - Conner

Offensive Disappointment - Bell

Defensive Surprise - Ola Adeniyi

Defensive Disappointment - Bud Dupree

A bit of "We needed big years from you guys and you let us down" only for their counter parts to show up and surprise us.

It's really looking like Bell is going to be a huge disappointment this year.    Hope you're right about Conner.  If he can learn to pass protect on a consistent basis, I think he can be a good #1.  Like what he's shown from Year 1 to Year 2 so far. 

12 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I'll be bold....

Offensive Surprise - Conner

Offensive Disappointment - Bell

Defensive Surprise - Ola Adeniyi

Defensive Disappointment - Bud Dupree

A bit of "We needed big years from you guys and you let us down" only for their counter parts to show up and surprise us.

I couldn't; have said it better, but I tired. I just hope that Adeniyi doesn't keep having the hamstring problems, he had the hammy at the combine and now, so wait and see. 

FO surprise would be to trade Bell and Dupree for Lawson, Carson and RD1 or RD2 pick xD

On 9/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, warfelg said:

Burns - defensive surprise

James - offensive surprise 

Watt - defensive dissapointment

Roethlisberger - offensive dissapointment

Surprising picks for disappointment.  What makes you say Watt & Roethlisberger will disappoint?  

23 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Surprising picks for disappointment.  What makes you say Watt & Roethlisberger will disappoint?  

I think Watt is gonna suffer from a little bit of what Burns suffered from (high expectations) and a prediction of sophomore slump.  And Roethlisberger just pure age.  I think he'll regress this year to the point where they might seriously think of moving on.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:03 PM, August4th said:

I can see Bell being a offensive disappointment. I think he started showing signs of slowing down last yr. I expect the steelers to use conner more which will take away carries from Bell.

Edmunds, I can see surprising on defense. He might produce some splash plays and look promising going forward(still expect some bad moments being a rookie and all)

There are two things I would like to see happen. I would like to see James Conner start and I would like to see the Steelers give play veon Bell about 300 carries in the first 8 games. Use whatever legs he has left in his career up in the first eight games and then let James Conner run the rest of the season

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think Watt is gonna suffer from a little bit of what Burns suffered from (high expectations) and a prediction of sophomore slump.  And Roethlisberger just pure age.  I think he'll regress this year to the point where they might seriously think of moving on.

Makes sense but I'm hoping his ability to run the No Huddle this year will keep him on point. He seems to be a rhythm QB and has been handcuffed these past few years. 

Archived