Did the Rams underpay for Donald or the Bears overpay for Mack

patriotsheatyan

15 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

So you think that Mack is worth Donald + two 1st round picks?

That’s not how it works. Donald wasn’t a part of the trade between the Raiders and the Bears. 

Is Donald worth his contract? Yes. 

Is Mack worth his contract along with less than two firsts? Yes. 

If you want to wait 2 years to get Mack, sure.  If you want to get Mack now, you have to pay up.  Donald, meanwhile, was an extension candidate.  

If the Bears wanted Donald, they'd have had to pay a similar price to Mack.  So adding in the 2 1sts is disingenous, to say the least.  

If Team A wants either Donald from LAR, or Mack from OAK, then there's a pick price, and then there's a salary.  To compare LAR retaining Donald and CHI trading for Mack is apples to oranges, and to portray it as the same is either incredibly disingenous...or incredibly dumb.   Or both.   The Rams got to pay with no picks because they were the original owners.  It's not that hard to see why there's a difference.

Now, salary-wise, Mack profiles almost identically to Von Miller's career - minus the playoffs.   Now, sure, ppl can say it matters and it's hard to argue - but you can only evaluate Mack on what he's done, and what he's likely to do, assuming health (and he's not shown any injury risk beyond baseline level for all players).    

Personally, I don't think either is an overpay in today's market, especially with the knowledge the market is only going to go up, unless the NFL / NFLPA can find a way to screw up their golden goose.   Von Miller set the EDGE market in 2016 with a 18M AAV contract, and 2 years later, he's already being dwarfed.   Donald and Mack are both elite difference makers at their positions, which are both premium ones.

You are inherently going to pay more in the Bears situation. The Rams already had Donald signed and on the team. They just had to work out an extension. The Bears had to trade high picks just for the opportunity to get him to the negotiating table (so to speak). They have to come with a lights out offer. They have to sign him. They cant spend two 1st round picks to rent one of the best defenders in the NFL for a year and then let him walk.

So like someone said. Neither imo. The Rams certainly didnt underpay. And the Bears, given the circumstances, probably didnt overpay.

38 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Rams paid Donald appropriately. Bears overpaid for Mack, and I don't mean the picks.

I am trying to be as diplomatic as I can. But yeah... I think that is an awful lot of bread for the dude. I can see why the Bears HAD to pay him what they are. But man. He is no Aaron Donald. ;)

From a fan perspective, I think both of them are overpaid - to be honest. BUT, the market itself sets their value..... not them or the team, so you can't really fault them that, individually.  

Comparing the two players alone based on "worth" then the answer is Donald.

But this isn't really a fair comparison either because It's easier to find an elite pass rusher than it is to find a good consistent interior defensive lineman. Much less a player as good as Donald is. (I know he plays all over the line so nobody offense to the "interior" word)

Even as hard as it is to find an elite pass rusher who is consistent from year-to-year. It's 10 times harder to find an interior lineman who as disruptive as Donald is.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

From a fan perspective, I think both of them are overpaid - to be honest. BUT, the market itself sets their value..... not them or the team, so you can't really fault them that, individually.  

Comparing the two players alone based on "worth" then the answer is Donald.

But this isn't really a fair comparison either because It's easier to find an elite pass rusher than it is to find a good consistent interior defensive lineman. Much less a player as good as Donald is. (I know he plays all over the line so nobody offense to the "interior" word)

Even as hard as it is to find an elite pass rusher who is consistent from year-to-year. It's 10 times harder to find an interior lineman who as disruptive as Donald is.

My only qualm with the statement above is that Mack isn't just an elite pass rusher - he's a total disruptor in the run game (and so is Von Miller,  FWIW).  That's what separates those 2 guys from the other EDGES IMO.   Mack's just literally surrounded by awful, awful, awful talent.   Which is why he can only do so much for that team D's overall result, whereas with Von surrounded even by average talent (last year), the run D excels because of their range, ability to read and disrupt the run game on their own. 

None of the above takes away from Donald's greatness, but to paint Mack (and by extension, Miller) as pass-rushers, it's a more complete take to say they're elite EDGE players who bring a complete run/pass D game.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

My only qualm with the statement above is that Mack isn't just an elite pass rusher - he's a total disruptor in the run game (and so is Von Miller,  FWIW).  That's what separates those 2 guys from the other EDGES IMO.   Mack's just literally surrounded by awful, awful, awful talent.   Which is why he can only do so much for that team D's overall result, whereas with Von surrounded even by average talent (last year), the run D excels because of their range, ability to read and disrupt the run game on their own. 

None of the above takes away from Donald's greatness, but to paint Mack (and by extension, Miller) as pass-rushers, it's a more complete take to say they're elite EDGE players who bring a complete run/pass D game.

It's a great point. Both players are "special" players. These are two players that are near consensus top 10 players in the NFL. Not just top 10 defenders. Top 10 players. Neither is one dimensional in the least.

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

You may be taking the label "pass-rusher" a little too literal here ;). Don't get me wrong, me calling them pass-rushers was not trying to diminish Mack or Von's impact on the game at all, that was just perhaps poor wording/labeling on my part.

I'm talking about the positions themselves and how much harder it is find to a Donald at any IDL position--DT or NT, imo. Having a 280-300 lb monster with speed, strength and intelligence who can break through the a or b gap, collapse the pocket before the QB can even get his feet set and disrupt his vision down-field are invaluable. In fact, one could argue more valuable than an edge rusher in a 3-4. The trouble is, it's very hard to find these guys and most importantly being able keep them healthy.

It's easier for a 240-250 guy to stay in shape and stay healthy than it is for a 280-300 guy who takes on other 300+ O-lineman 1,000 snaps a season and another ~200 in practice every week.

Again, I'm not taking anything away Von or Mack, I love em both as players. Von is the best edge in the game with a bust all but waiting for him in Canton. Mack is a young player who has accomplished more than most at such an early stage in their careers.

Plain and simple, the Bears overpaid for Mack at this point in time. If the Bears turn around and compete with the Packers and Vikings over the next 2 years then we can reexamine things. But, Mack has not demonstrated himself to be a franchise changing talent. Great, albeit slightly overrated, player? Sure. Franchise altering talent? Not in the least.

10 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Plain and simple, the Bears overpaid for Mack at this point in time. If the Bears turn around and compete with the Packers and Vikings over the next 2 years then we can reexamine things. But, Mack has not demonstrated himself to be a franchise changing talent. Great, albeit slightly overrated, player? Sure. Franchise altering talent? Not in the least.

Define "franchise changing talent" - because to be fair, how many defensive players could really be considered "franchise changing talent", based on how I interpret it anyhow. Defensive changing talent, yes. Franchise? Not many, if any at all.

The rest of your post I would agree with.

Archived