Around The League

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

We traded a top 6 first and (3) 2nd's to move up 3 spots.  TB would be moving up like 7 spots give or take into the top 3 for a QB.  Evans has mid 1st round value probably and one 2nd and a future 2nd isn't really a great haul.  That package is light if they were even interested in doing it which I doubt anyway.

That’s true. I’m likely a bit short using that logic. 

But Mike Evans is a known commodity. That has some value. You know you are getting a a 25 year old number 1 WR. So it’s not exactly our trade. Maybe we can scratch out a bit more because I agree with you that his value is about a mid first. 

The great think about Evans’ contract is that it drops to the mid teens after 2019. If Tampa does shop him around, the Jets should wheel and deal. 

Obviously I'd be all for adding a guy like Evans being I've screamed for us to add WRs and a RB with valuable picks. The value of a trade for him involving a move up for a QB is that the QBs values aren't as high as last year. Last years crop of QBs was looked at as 1 of the best draft classes in the last few years. This one is looked at as one of the worst. So to expect the same value for a pick will probably be less this year.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously I'd be all for adding a guy like Evans being I've screamed for us to add WRs and a RB with valuable picks. The value of a trade for him involving a move up for a QB is that the QBs values aren't as high as last year. Last years crop of QBs was looked at as 1 of the best draft classes in the last few years. This one is looked at as one of the worst. So to expect the same value for a pick will probably be less this year.

Good point. 

Imagine our offense with Bell, Evans and Paradis with the Jets spending day two picks along the OLine and bringing back Enunwa and Robby? Oh yah. Man, I’d be pumped for Darnold. That’s something he can work with. I’d still probably use a mid round pick on a WR. We need to be 4 deep at WR with how injury prone Enunwa is.

Evans would be excellent, but the more realistic option? WR AJ Green

Why? AJ Green will be 31 this summer and entering the final year of his contract. It is likely the team is drafting somewhere in the 10-14 range when all is said and done. If they opt to rebuild, AJ is a guy they will have to consider moving. Boyd broke out this year will also be a free agent next year (he'll be 25 entering 2020) and the team still has high hopes for John Ross, who they drafted 9th overall last year. The organization is notoriously cheap as well. It's unknown at this point whether the Bengals would seek to extend Green, but given the direction their team is going and Boyd's development, they may opt to deal him if the right offer came their way with a focus on extending Boyd when he becomes a FA. 

The Jets are in a totally different situation; they're looking to "win-now" in 2019 and want to surround Darnold with as many weapons as possible entering 2019. It's entirely possible the Jets, desperate for offensive playmakers, would consider swapping picks with Cincinnati with Green headed to New York. With all the money the Jets have with a cheap QB contract, the Jets can afford to pay AJ Green $15-20 million per year on a 3-4 year deal (whether or not it makes sense is not the point I'm driving). It also wouldn't be the first time Mike Maccagnan traded for a 31 year old WR coming off an injury - he did so back in 2015 when he traded for Brandon Marshall. 

As the offseason progresses, this will absolutely be something to monitor. Ultimately I think Cincinnati will take the stubborn approach, but if they don't this deal can absolutely come to fruition. 

4 minutes ago, famousj said:

I was just thinking about A J Green as an option.   Lets get both of them along with LeVeon Bell.  Now we have an offense to work with.

I absolutely think the Jets will explore it, and they'll likely make a call to Atlanta in regards to Julio as well. In the end, I'd think AJ would be the player who got moved, and the one team who would likely meet his compensation and contractual demands is Mike Maccagnan and the Jets. It is the one move where GM-HC-ownership would all unanimously sign up for, right or wrong. Whether or not Green is worth moving down 10-12 slots likely wouldn't matter this year, where the difference in pick 3 and pick 15 is much slimmer than usual. 

If Cincinnati opts to move up enough to put them in the hunt for a QB to groom behind Dalton (Haskins?), the trade could entice them. Besides, if you want a QB in this year's draft, No.3 will be the hot spot: Bosa is all but guaranteed to go first and if Cincinnati truly sought to guarantee landing a QB, they could work out a deal with OAK to move from 3-to-2. Jon Gruden has friends within the organization, so not the most outlandish possibility out there. 

Try Julio Jones first. >:(

Last time Bengals traded one of their best WRs was 2011.  They sent the broken down prima donna to Patriots for 5th and 6th round picks of the two different drafts.  Green isn't apparently to be broken by aging yet. I think Patriots, who owns 2 2nd round picks, could threaten to steal him away from Jets.   Won't hurt to try, though.

10 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Evans would be excellent, but the more realistic option? WR AJ Green

Why? AJ Green will be 31 this summer and entering the final year of his contract. It is likely the team is drafting somewhere in the 10-14 range when all is said and done. If they opt to rebuild, AJ is a guy they will have to consider moving. Boyd broke out this year will also be a free agent next year (he'll be 25 entering 2020) and the team still has high hopes for John Ross, who they drafted 9th overall last year. The organization is notoriously cheap as well. It's unknown at this point whether the Bengals would seek to extend Green, but given the direction their team is going and Boyd's development, they may opt to deal him if the right offer came their way with a focus on extending Boyd when he becomes a FA. 

The Jets are in a totally different situation; they're looking to "win-now" in 2019 and want to surround Darnold with as many weapons as possible entering 2019. It's entirely possible the Jets, desperate for offensive playmakers, would consider swapping picks with Cincinnati with Green headed to New York. With all the money the Jets have with a cheap QB contract, the Jets can afford to pay AJ Green $15-20 million per year on a 3-4 year deal (whether or not it makes sense is not the point I'm driving). It also wouldn't be the first time Mike Maccagnan traded for a 31 year old WR coming off an injury - he did so back in 2015 when he traded for Brandon Marshall. 

As the offseason progresses, this will absolutely be something to monitor. Ultimately I think Cincinnati will take the stubborn approach, but if they don't this deal can absolutely come to fruition. 

Very interesting. I'm all for AJ Green... but I'm not giving up valuable assets for a 31yr old. I'd actually rather give up valuable assets for a guy like Evans. He's a guy that can grow and groom Darnold. By the time Darnold "might" be looked at as a franchise QB... Green will be pretty much done.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Very interesting. I'm all for AJ Green... but I'm not giving up valuable assets for a 31yr old. I'd actually rather give up valuable assets for a guy like Evans. He's a guy that can grow and groom Darnold. By the time Darnold "might" be looked at as a franchise QB... Green will be pretty much done.

The point is that AJ Green is more realistic Mike Evans for that very reason- instead of giving up an asset, the team would likely swap assets, with AJ Green making up the difference (not much different than the Bills-CIN trade last offseason). Why Mike Evans is unrealistic? He's an elite player at the age of 25 who has already signed an extension. It's not totally impossible because the Bucs would suffer no dead dollars by trading him, but they did purposefully structure his contract so they can meet the cash spend minimum by 2020. Also, the price to pay would be hefty- likely our 1st round pick. I'd be willing to pay that price, but not sure the Jets would. 

Green would likely allow them to hold onto a top 15 pick while adding an elite playmaker to the offense- a 2-for-1 deal as opposed to a 1-for-1. Also, I wouldn't worry about the aspect of him not being here for Darnold's prime. The point is to escalate the talent around him while he's developing, draft/develop in the meantime, and when Sam reaches his prime rely on him to escalate the talent around him. Acquiring Green would be the ultimate "win-now" move that would likely only last 3 years, but could help the Jets become one of the top teams in the NFL over that span. 

Josh Gordon is stepping away from football for awhile for his mental health. He didn't put a timeline on it, so I don't know if plans on playing football next season to be lloked at as a FA option.

Edit... He apparently is facing another suspension. So he might be done in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Josh Gordon is stepping away from football for awhile for his mental health. He didn't put a timeline on it, so I don't know if plans on playing football next season to be lloked at as a FA option.

Edit... He apparently is facing another suspension. So he might be done in the NFL.

AJ Green going to Patriots makes much sense.  What a hopeless dream.

One thing to keep in mind about draft trades... We gave up a lot to move from 6 to 3, more than the "draft chart" indicates, but we were also in a historic QB class that contained 2 prospects worthy of being #1 overall in any draft and 2 others who were top 5 candidates. We probably won't get as great of a haul if we move down, but still should get a good package of picks if we were to with Haskins looking more likely to enter the draft this year. I think he will see the type of rise Trubisky did. 

Archived