Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford

patriotsheatyan

Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford, who’s better

• Stafford
    • Smith

1 hour ago, Bobikus said:

Only in the sense that a run game is going to have issues if the QB isn't competent and Smith is at least that.  There's not some special property Stafford lacks that Smith has that makes run games as vastly better as the Chiefs has been compared to the Lions.

Has Stafford been running zone reads and RPO's since he was a freshman in college?  Smith's experience there (ball-handling, decision-making, etc.), plus the threat of his legs, opens up our running game more than we ever had under Cousins, as Gruden and fellow teammates have expressed.  I'd be very interested to see how effective the Lions running game would be with Smith under center.  I think you definitely would have seen at least one 100 yard rushing game last year.

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Stafford has been called upon dozens of times - with the season on the line for the Lions.
He's never answered the bell. As a Packer fan, I've seen it up close and personal.

Tons of god given ability, zero argument there and he's fun to watch. Amazing thrower.

But I wouldn't bet a nickle on him coming through in crunch time. He's never been a student of the game and his recent resurgence under Jim Bob Cooter is directly attributable to them reeling Matthew in with shorter, less risky passes. In other words, they can't trust his talent and want to turn him into a game manager.

What does that tell you about his ability to come through if called upon ?

The first bolded statement is just unfair, completely unjustified and at best a ridiculous guess. Are you really asserting that Matt Stafford doesn't watch game tape? I'm not really sure what that sentence means. 

Secondly, do you have any ball placement distribution to support that claim?

Archived