Is It Fair To Implement This Rule Immediately?

the lone star

Is It Fair To Implement This Rule Immediately?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Fair To Implement This Rule Immediately?

• No, It's Not Fair. The Rule Should Wait Until Next Season.
    • Yes, It's Fair. He Can Implement Immediately.

In one of my dynasty leagues, we have been able to place players on IR and keep them there, even if the player returns from injury. We've done this for a few years now, and there have been no formal rule changes. Furthermore, a new rule that was disclose told us that we could activate a player returning from injury "if we want."

However, this is not what the commissioner intended. He actually wanted all players returning from injury to be automatically activated and promoted to the active roster. He says that this rule was something he and the co-commish discussed, but never disclosed to the group, or disclosed incorrectly.

He's saying that he will use his power as commish to unilaterally activate such players, and that if a team has to cut someone from the roster to make such a change, then he will either force them to cut someone, or cut the player that needs to be activated.

What do you think of this? Is it fair for the commish to implement this rule immediately, or should have have to wait since he and the co-commish kinda messed up on how it was disclosed. Again, some players have already been placed on IR due to injuries that have occurred during the off-season and regular season.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

You need new leagues. 

But yeah, I don't have a problem with them doing that. It's what actually makes sense. You shouldn't be able to IR guys just to stash roster players if the IR player is healthy. 

My issue here is that some players have already IRd players. Had this rule been in place, then I know I wouldn't have IRd some players. But because I did, I was able to pick up other guys, who I may now be forced to cut, which would cause me to sustain cap penalties.

Implementing a rule mid-season (even Week 3) is crap.  Now, and I don't know if this is the case with your league, most major FF platforms that use an IR slot don't allow you to actually bring the guy out of the IR slot without dropping someone, but basically allow you to keep him there if healthy - the caveat being you can't make any kind of free agent/waiver moves while your roster has a healthy player in the IR slot.

To me, that's always been a fair trade-off for what's not really a glitch that allows you to game the system but still have some consequence to have to endure.

If you're in some format where there is an ongoing salary cap then I can definitely see why your commissioner would see the logic in the rule - but it should have been explained and implemented from the get-go.

11 hours ago, the lone star said:

My issue here is that some players have already IRd players. Had this rule been in place, then I know I wouldn't have IRd some players. But because I did, I was able to pick up other guys, who I may now be forced to cut, which would cause me to sustain cap penalties.

Yeah, there's nothing shady about what he's doing and it makes sense. It should be the way he is suggesting.  What you're talking about is just abusing the IR slot, and as a fantasy player,  I hate that. Why should you get the benefit of being able to roster additional players just because you had someone get hurt whereas my team may be completely healthy? Most leagues don't even get the IR slot and have to make the decision to keep / waive their hurt guys right away. How many owners are having that conversation with themselves about Baldwin right now? It creates an unfair imbalance on the roster construction. 

Nope, I'm on the commissioner's side here. There's nothing shady about what he's doing, it's just  the way it should be. The discussion you guys need to be having is for additional bench spots. 

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Implementing a rule mid-season (even Week 3) is crap.  Now, and I don't know if this is the case with your league, most major FF platforms that use an IR slot don't allow you to actually bring the guy out of the IR slot without dropping someone, but basically allow you to keep him there if healthy - the caveat being you can't make any kind of free agent/waiver moves while your roster has a healthy player in the IR slot.

To me, that's always been a fair trade-off for what's not really a glitch that allows you to game the system but still have some consequence to have to endure.

If you're in some format where there is an ongoing salary cap then I can definitely see why your commissioner would see the logic in the rule - but it should have been explained and implemented from the get-go.

I really don't have an issue with the timing. Ideally, you'd want to clarify this at the beginning of the season, of course. But I don't mind the timing largely because I actually agree with the rule, so that should be mentioned as obviously i'm going to be biased in that opinion. I'd have more of an issue if this seemed to be some sort of underhanded move, but it really doesn't feel that way just based on the information provided. 

Feels like there is more to this than the OP is letting on.  IF you are rostering a no longer injured player in an IR slot, that should be against league rules and if you are gaming the system, shame on you.  If you are doing so to save some salary cap space and be able to add other players, shame on you.  

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Feels like there is more to this than the OP is letting on.  IF you are rostering a no longer injured player in an IR slot, that should be against league rules and if you are gaming the system, shame on you.  If you are doing so to save some salary cap space and be able to add other players, shame on you.  

I should add to this.  Often, the commissioner needs to act in a manner that is for the betterment of the entire league.    Closing loopholes that some owners are taking advantage of to the detriment of the entire league is problematic for the long term viability of the league.  

if you have never been in the commissioner seat for a keeper, salary cap or other complex type league, you should try it and see how easy/not easy it is.

Archived