Ground Hog Day (let the mocks begin)

diehardlionfan

Once again it’s ground hog day for Lions fans. Different year, same results.

Week two is behind us and the draft becomes the focus. 88% of teams starting 0-2 miss the playoffs. Sure, the Lions, based on 61 years of irrelevance might beat the odds. If you believe that, well, I admire your faith.

I’m tired of the Lions. Ever year they feed us the same story lines, then, as the losses mount the excuses start in an effort to build hope for the future. I’ve always fought hard to see the positives in the Lions but I’ve given up. If it looks like a ?, smells like a ?, and walks like a ?, it’s a ?. The Lions, fellow fans are a ?, car wreck, plane crash, pick your own description, BAD.

This franchise only trails the Cleveland Browns in being the worst franchise, regardless of sport. They’ve had 61 years to turn it around and failed repeatedly no matter how many rebuilds. 

Quinn, Patricia, JBC and the rest need to be fired if the Lions don’t make the playoffs. Quinn brought in his guy because he didn’t believe the Lions best coach in recent memory can get to and win in the playoffs. 

Quinn stated publicly he believed the Lions should’ve been better under Caldwell with the roster he assembled. Well, Quinn had another off season to make his roster even better and he hired his guy as coach. 

0-2 represents total failure. His coach, his roster, means his job. 

Reviewing Quinn’s comments shows he’s out of touch with the reality of the Detroit Lions. He misjudged his coach, misjudged his roster and has misjudged where to spend money under the salary cap. 

I hope the Lions win out but that isn’t likely. Worst case scenario is an 8-8 season and the Fords maintaining status quo. This organization needs to stop with hiring from coaching trees and hire people with a proven track record as GM and HC. Enough with hiring the latest names creating buzz.

I don’t know how anyone else feels but after 54 years, as a fan,  I’m done with promises and I want to see results. 

There are only a handful of players on this team that consistently look good and give it there all. The rest can be given a bus ticket and a farewell gift.

Pretty much. 

I really don't think Mock drafts are even necessary till the house is cleaned. I mean really what's the point if they're all here or half even still here and we're drafting under their schemes, styles, etc, that haven't worked why waste the energy?

I didn't even watch the game, seen the score at the end and thought, "damn!?!" but my brother told me it was all typical Lions style. Suck it up for 3 quarters, make a quick come back and have a shot but all short through some bad/questionable calls plus bad drops/throws. 

Didn't have to see this story to know what's going on with this "groundhog day" type team. This is the Rod Marinelli experiment 2.0 essentially where DET tried to model the Tampa franchise and failed miserably by drafting players by scheme and need and way out of logical draft position reaching for guys, and signing former Tampa veterans who can't make it in Tampa. We had the coaches, players, etc. This time we're taking a step further essentially hiring from top to bottom former Patriot guys trying to bring a "Patriot way" to a team that's had mild success and doesn't want a "Patriot way" rebuild. 

Lions are 0-2 against essentially non-playoff teams(by most peoples personal opinions I'm assuming). They now have to play what are perceived playoff contenders now for like 5 weeks in a row... I'm not having much faith Lions turn things around here soon.

1 hour ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Honestly at this point just lose out (ok win 1 atleast), fire Quinn and Patricia, get Ed Oliver who will be a better less jerkery DT than SUH and actually rebuild

You’re not wrong. I just don’t know what’s right anymore. This franchise seems intent on repeatedly following the same failure blueprint.

I agree a rebuild is probably in order but what does that mean with Stafford? Is there a way to fast track a rebuild so they don’t lose Staffords remaining years? Or, do they trade him, build the team and then draft a QB that’s reasonably priced? 

How many times do they hire an inexperienced GM and a coordinator without NFL HC experience? 

Are we being impatient? Does the entire roster have to be churned some more? That seems to be Quinn’s intent. How long is enough time for these guys to get players who are suitable and buy into the program?

It just seems they wash, rinse, repeat. Same stuff, different GM and coach.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

You’re not wrong. I just don’t know what’s right anymore. This franchise seems intent on repeatedly following the same failure blueprint.

I agree a rebuild is probably in order but what does that mean with Stafford? Is there a way to fast track a rebuild so they don’t lose Staffords remaining years? Or, do they trade him, build the team and then draft a QB that’s reasonably priced? 

Speaking of blueprint... Outside of the Patriots, whose QB is far from the highest paid QB, the most recent blue print for a Superbowl is ditch the high priced QB. Get a good one on a rookie contract, and surround him with amazing talent while he's cheap. Seattle did it with Wilson and has fallen apart since giving him his mega deal. Philly did it with Wentz last year. Baltimore did it with Flacco, and the 49ers almost did it with Kaepernick. The Rams seem to be going all in on that strategy right now, and it wouldn't shock me to see it work. 

22 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Speaking of blueprint... Outside of the Patriots, whose QB is far from the highest paid QB, the most recent blue print for a Superbowl is ditch the high priced QB. Get a good one on a rookie contract, and surround him with amazing talent while he's cheap. Seattle did it with Wilson and has fallen apart since giving him his mega deal. Philly did it with Wentz last year. Baltimore did it with Flacco, and the 49ers almost did it with Kaepernick. The Rams seem to be going all in on that strategy right now, and it wouldn't shock me to see it work. 

There’s no doubt salary spent on QB isn’t available for other positions.

Chicago seems to be following that strategy as well. I just don’t think they were far enoug( along to get a QB. Based on early performance two first round picks seems cheap for Mack. He’s going to injure Stafford.

I was just lurking around other teams forums, but are you guys really wanting Patricia gone after one season. I mean I didn't like him because of the track record of other coaches from the BB tree but I didn't expect you guys to think like this after two games.

45 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I was just lurking around other teams forums, but are you guys really wanting Patricia gone after one season. I mean I didn't like him because of the track record of other coaches from the BB tree but I didn't expect you guys to think like this after two games.

s02-ep24-slashit3-1000x500.jpg

When Caldwell was fired we were told it was because 9-7 was not good enough and that we were ready to win now. This off season we've regressed almost across the board. We've failed to even slightly address glaring holes in our roster, and promises to improve other areas have fallen drastically short. There have been significant coaching blunders throughout the preseason and the first two games. We've seen this mess crash and burn before and we're just ready to get onto the next rebuild.

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Yeah well you also have to sign decent players when you sign that QB. Lions are essentially wasting 28 million with Lang/Ziggy Ansah so it's not all Stafford/his money. Lions just don't know how to spend money/who to pay. 

Easily. and I mean Easily would I have traded for Mack and "Found" room by dump players. Everyone thought I was crazy cause of cost but I mean. I don't know what people really expected from certain guys. People thought Ziggy was going to be dominate, even while switching schemes, and he's essentially been a flash in the pan for 3 season's in a row. He collected like 6 or 8 garbage sacks last year and everyone wanted to act like his double digit sack production was actually something to brag about or look at. I don't think he had a sack vs a playoff team last year but I haven't facted checked that someone just "told" me that stat so who knows. 

This is excuse time, time where Lions fans reason why we're bad instead of just looking at the facts and saying yeah, thats why they're bad. Does it help that Stafford takes up a lot of cap, no it doesn't, it's worst though that they sign bad/average/non-playing players big money to be productive around him.

I mean I think most people would say Ziggy/Lang are 2 of our best 5 players maybe outside of Stafford. An they don't contribute at all. *Huge Problem*

Then we get onto drafting... and See what little Davis/Jaleen Revis-Maybeen/Tabor/Robinson are providing right now... Our best players on defense weren't chosen by this GM, and everyone he did "chose" is average/terrible. 

They're plan at TE was comical and disastrous,  Only the Lions would make a fan base want a 1st round bust back on the team because they actually got worst without him. 

Finally, the money we've had the past two season's has literally been wasted on bubble roster players, (Depth), half of which where cut this year. I think the best signing in two years literally is prolly Kennard. 

*Lions just have to look at ATL and see how they built things and succeeded if they wanna see a model to copy. Matt Ryan has been paid and just played in a superbowl under that contract. 

9 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well, the Lions fired Caldwell who had the highest winning percentage of any Lions coach in the SB era with Quinn claiming the Lions roster was better than the W-L record. He hired Patricia and it’s a dumpster fire.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/01/01/detroit-lions-jim-caldwell-fired/992291001/

No one wants anyone fired but Lions fans are getting tired of false promises. If Quinn can’t deliver improvement after claiming the team was underperforming then the whole lot should be gone.

The Lions are famous for hiring people without experience in the jobs they're hired for. The blueprint has been highly unsuccessful. Imagine Quinn, with no GM experience hiring a HC who has never been a HC at any level. It’s a recipe for disaster. See Millen, Mayhew, Marinelli, Schwartz. 

So basically fans expected improvement and aren’t buying into anything except on field results. Why should they? They’ve seen this act repeatedly since 1957.

Archived