Can Bailey Bail Us Out?

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I think money due to Bailey and recent, past injuries has a play in ‘why’ Bailey was cut. 

I think Carlson gets cut regardless. His performance was simply unacceptable.

Has that ever happen in the NFL that quickly?  A team drafts a kicker which that does not happen all that much either, then cuts them after game two.  Sure cut him but honestly that special teams coaching ability is in question I feel, after the flame out of Blair Walsh and now Carlson and even Forbath struggled with extra points under him as well.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Has that ever happen in the NFL that quickly?  A team drafts a kicker which that does not happen all that much either, then cuts them after game two.  Sure cut him but honestly that special teams coaching ability is in question I feel, after the flame out of Blair Walsh and now Carlson and even Forbath struggled with extra points under him as well.

To my knowledge, I don’t think it’s ever happened so quickly. I agree that Priefer should be held accountable as well. Man, I really hop BAILey will bail us out. 

38 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

To my knowledge, I don’t think it’s ever happened so quickly. I agree that Priefer should be held accountable as well. Man, I really hop BAILey will bail us out. 

I can’t think of a specific instance, but I’m fairly confident it has happened this quickly. And I think our kicking issues have more to do with drafting kickers than it has to do with coaching 

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

I can’t think of a specific instance, but I’m fairly confident it has happened this quickly. And I think our kicking issues have more to do with drafting kickers than it has to do with coaching 

Given that the coach works these kids out and bangs the table for them... it’s definitely a coaching issue. 

10 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Blair Walsh and now Carlson and even Forbath all have metal issues and missing short kicks.  Yeah that is a coaching and psychology issue, what kind of coach says to a player lacking confidence a pro kicker does not miss two in a row.  Honestly there seems to be a pattern here and it is Priefer possibly, not to mention we got a freaking punt blocked as well which rarely if ever happens in the NFL.  This is not college football, that should almost never happen.

2 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

The downturn in his stats the last two seasons is concerning. If it’s just because of injuries I guess the one thing. He is only 30 so not sure what to think about the downturn. 

if he can make one or two field goals in three attempts, it's an upturn.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Blair Walsh and now Carlson and even Forbath all have metal issues and missing short kicks.  Yeah that is a coaching and psychology issue, what kind of coach says to a player lacking confidence a pro kicker does not miss two in a row.  Honestly there seems to be a pattern here and it is Priefer possibly, not to mention we got a freaking punt blocked as well which rarely if ever happens in the NFL.  This is not college football, that should almost never happen.

When you draft rookie kickers your prone to getting someone who isn’t mentally tough enough to play in the NFL. Don’t draft kickers and don’t gift them jobs until they have shown they can kick in the NFL.The Vikings aren’t breaking kickers, they’re just picking ones who can’t handle the pressure.

12 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

When you draft rookie kickers your prone to getting someone who isn’t mentally tough enough to play in the NFL. Don’t draft kickers and don’t gift them jobs until they have shown they can kick in the NFL.The Vikings aren’t breaking kickers, they’re just picking ones who can’t handle the pressure.

Ummm no.

Name me another team in the NFL that has had this many issues with kickers missing extra points or short field goals in key situations over the past what 3-4 years.  There is something to be said about just simply bad coaching and mentally making your player even more mentally fragile based on your own actions and coaching of that player, that falls on the special teams coach I would say. Oh no they are just mentally weak from the get go?  I do not think so, Blair Walsh was a pro bowl kicker at points in his career, then that changed the longer he was on the Vikings and lost it after he missed that key kick in the Playoffs then followed that with missing extra points and short field goals the next year.  To say that is not a pattern is simply wrong I feel. 

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ummm no.

Name me another team in the NFL that has had this many issues with kickers missing extra points or short field goals in key situations over the past what 3-4 years.  There is something to be said about just simply bad coaching and mentally making your player even more mentally fragile based on your own actions and coaching of that player, that falls on the special teams coach I would say. Oh no they are just mentally weak from the get go?  I do not think so, Blair Walsh was a pro bowl kicker at points in his career, then that changed the longer he was on the Vikings and lost it after he missed that key kick in the Playoffs then followed that with missing extra points and short field goals the next year.  To say that is not a pattern is simply wrong I feel. 

The Bucs. And the Chargers.

I agree that Priefer is on thin ice, and if Bailey starts missing I'd cut Priefer and keep Bailey.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ummm no.

The Vikings were missing important field goals long before Priefer. Honestly this is silliness.You’re implying kickers need to be coddled to be mentally tough which doesn’t make any sense.

17 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

The Vikings were missing important field goals long before Priefer. Honestly this is silliness.You’re implying kickers need to be coddled to be mentally tough which doesn’t make any sense.

Vikings missing important field goals, what Gary Anderson and?  The potential future Hall of Famer and possible top 10 kicker all time in the NFL.  He was mentally weak also?  There is nothing wrong with being tough on a player but it is kicking and clearly they are doing something wrong with players at that position in this organization especially of late.  Oh no they are just all mentally weak, maybe or maybe not.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings missing important field goals, what Gary Anderson and?  The potential future Hall of Famer and possible top 10 kicker all time in the NFL.  He was mentally weak also?  There is nothing wrong with being tough on a player but it is kicking and clearly they are doing something wrong with players at that position in this organization especially of late.  Oh no they are just all mentally weak, maybe or maybe not.

They are doing something wrong, they’re picking the wrong players. Kicking is a personnel issue.

Archived