2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

7 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Question for everyone.  If Dwayne Haskins falls to #12, do you take him?  I know Rodgers is the man, but, it's about this same time that the Packers drafted him with Favre having about 3-4 years left.  Future star QB?

I will lose my mind if we take Dwayne Haskins at 12 lol

56 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What’s the thoughts on Brian Burns FSU? He seems to be pegged as the quick speed edge of the second tier edge l... after bosa, Allen, etc.

My thoughts....  He's quick.  He's fast.  Decent bend.  Long arms.  He's tall.  He's very light.  I don't see much power in that game.

I want to really like him, because I'm drawn to guys who can win the edge quickly with speed.  But....I think he's too thin right now.  I feel like he is a project EDGE.  He's not going to set an edge early in his career.  But...he could play on obvious passing downs.

I think that #12 is too early for him.  End of round one, though, and I think that there is a nice skillset to be developed.  What he needs is power and to fill out.  That should happen in the NFL conditioning programs.  He's got that ideal body length, wingspan and quickness to be a very nice edge piece.  I just don't think it happens for a year or two with him.

24 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Question for everyone.  If Dwayne Haskins falls to #12, do you take him?  I know Rodgers is the man, but, it's about this same time that the Packers drafted him with Favre having about 3-4 years left.  Future star QB?

Different era.  Qb's are playing longer these days.  How long is Rodger's contract now?  I think it is long enough to draft a QB, develop him, and still not be in a situation where cutting or trading Aaron makes any financial sense....before having to really pony up dollars for that 2nd QB contract.

Looked it up...2021 is when GB can "save" 10.5M by moving on from Rodgers.  So really that is two years to develop, two years to play on a friendly deal, then here comes another contract.

2022 is when it makes more "sense".  Frees up 25.5M.  So then you are developing for 3 years, playing for one, then ponying up for a new contract.  

Strong no from me, just from a financial standpoint.  I don't know enough about Haskins game to weigh on whether the talent is worth it or not.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Different era.  Qb's are playing longer these days.  How long is Rodger's contract now?  I think it is long enough to draft a QB, develop him, and still not be in a situation where cutting or trading Aaron makes any financial sense....before having to really pony up dollars for that 2nd QB contract.

Looked it up...2021 is when GB can "save" 10.5M by moving on from Rodgers.  So really that is two years to develop, two years to play on a friendly deal, then here comes another contract.

2022 is when it makes more "sense".  Frees up 25.5M.  So then you are developing for 3 years, playing for one, then ponying up for a new contract.  

Strong no from me, just from a financial standpoint.  I don't know enough about Haskins game to weigh on whether the talent is worth it or not.

Ok, with that said, with Haskins in house and learning the system and being an under study to Rodgers for 3 years, doesn't that make sense?  Kizer and Boyle aren't the future.  2019, #3 QB.  2020 and 2021 #2 QB and in 2021 the new #1 guy, that doesn't make sense to anyone?  Weren't there some that was pissed when they drafted Rodgers with Favre having 3-4 years left?  To me, there is no difference.  You could even trade Rodgers in 2021 if Haskins is ready.  Grab Haskins at #12 (Future starter or trade bait), Zach Allen at #30 and Austin Bryant at #44.  

1 minute ago, jleisher said:

Ok, with that said, with Haskins in house and learning the system and being an under study to Rodgers for 3 years, doesn't that make sense?  Kizer and Boyle aren't the future.  2019, #3 QB.  2020 and 2021 #2 QB and in 2021 the new #1 guy, that doesn't make sense to anyone?  Weren't there some that was pissed when they drafted Rodgers with Favre having 3-4 years left?  To me, there is no difference.  You could even trade Rodgers in 2021 if Haskins is ready.  Grab Haskins at #12 (Future starter or trade bait), Zach Allen at #30 and Austin Bryant at #44.  

Makes some sense, but I would prefer to wait one year. In one year Kizer might be worth a mid-round draft pick and could be traded. Boyle might develop into a descent backup. So we would have Rodgers, Boyle as backup, and a #1 draft choice to develop to replace Rodgers.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Makes some sense, but I would prefer to wait one year. In one year Kizer might be worth a mid-round draft pick and could be traded. Boyle might develop into a descent backup. So we would have Rodgers, Boyle as backup, and a #1 draft choice to develop to replace Rodgers.

Makes sense, but is it worth passing on this kid?  Low mileage, quick learner, football smart and good person on and off the field.  Leader traits.

No you figure out when Lawrence from Clemson is declaring... the draft before trade your first for a future first and then tank that year... and draft Lawrence. (The extra first is to make sure you can trade for him).

Pretty simple...

You are taking the best draft position GB has had in years and investing it into someone that you hope won't play for 2-3 years.  To me, that is a bad investment.  Rodgers isn't Favre.  He isn't talking about retiring.  He's talking more about playing to 40.  Two very different situations.  I get what you are saying, but this team needs to upgrade the team around Rodgers, not build for life after Rodgers.  Not in this draft.

I won't speculate on who may be available later.

I believe that the NFL, today, is setup for these young QB's to have success very early in their careers.  When the time comes to move on from Rodgers, I believe the league will be even more setup for quick success under center.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You are taking the best draft position GB has had in years and investing it into someone that you hope won't play for 2-3 years.  To me, that is a bad investment.  Rodgers isn't Favre.  He isn't talking about retiring.  He's talking more about playing to 40.  Two very different situations.  I get what you are saying, but this team needs to upgrade the team around Rodgers, not build for life after Rodgers.  Not in this draft.

I won't speculate on who may be available later.

I believe that the NFL, today, is setup for these young QB's to have success very early in their careers.  When the time comes to move on from Rodgers, I believe the league will be even more setup for quick success under center.

Vegas, your making sense.  I agree with everything you have said, but, if this kid is as good as they make him out to be, it could be the best investment since, well Aaron Rodgers.  

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

No you figure out when Lawrence from Clemson is declaring... the draft before trade your first for a future first and then tank that year... and draft Lawrence. (The extra first is to make sure you can trade for him).

Pretty simple...

So, you want Dexter Lawrence at #12?  If I understand you right, interesting?

2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Vegas, your making sense.  I agree with everything you have said, but, if this kid is as good as they make him out to be, it could be the best investment since, well Aaron Rodgers.  

We can agree to disagree on his talent compared to Rodgers coming out.  No worries there.  I didn't watch much of him, but this is a weak QB class...by most expert's opinions.

Aaron was taken when again...I'll look it up...pick #24.  Versus pick #12.

I think GB can do their team much better if they take a defensive prospect here.  Let someone else overdraft a QB because of need...in this draft.

And...ask yourself this...what would Haskins grade really be?  Is he a first rounder?  Franchise QB?  How does he compare to the past first rounders?  Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold...etc.  Though I haven't seen that much of him....I wouldn't put him next to those guys.  

Archived