Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I call BS.  Richardson has mechanical issues.  He will never Ben level of accuracy without a lot of work.  If you do not have Ben's level of accuracy, you will never be a true franchise QB.

Upper body mechanics are a nightmare, but lower body-mechanics are far more correctable....or at least, more easily made more consistent. Recent examples: Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. 

Richardsons issues are in his legs. I am not saying mechanical shifts are easy by any means, but I am not gonna bet that a 20 year old who might be the best athlete to ever play in the NFL with like 15 games worth of college starts is his final mechanical stage. 

Richardson doesn't lack accuracy from a Mike Leach standpoint (are you either the kid who hits the stop sign with a snowball or you are not). But he lacks the consistency to continually remain accurate. Matching attempts in college, Mahomes first 393 throws were at a 59% completion percentage to AR's 55%. One of these guys played in an NFL filled defensive conference and doubled the others rushing numbers on top of it. 

Mahomes never lacked the ability to BE accurate, he lacked the ability to REMAIN accurate. It's a question, but again....20 and super, super athletic? I'm banking on that being able to find those fixes with the right coaches and the right scheme (cough eagles cough). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

@AFF 👀

(I should add, I have no clue who that Twitter is so could be BS). 

They tend to be a meme generator (MLFootball stands for Meme League Football).  The Vikingzfanpage has 45,000 followers across 4 different platforms.  Jeremy Fowler hasn't posted anything on twitter about this.

And while I found the actual quite, that tweet is "sensationalizing" it a touch:

Could be big money on the way at some point.  The Vikings believe that he's a cornerstone player, the best receiver in the league.  They want to sign him to an extension at some point.  Two potential hurdles in the way, though.  He's only three years into a rookie deal that has two years left with a fifth-year option, so not in a major rush to do it right now.  And then the market for receivers, your looking at around $30 million or more.

Reads to me like what we should be hearing, especially since you need to consider 2 extra things:

1 - In the new CBA this is the first offseason they can talk extension.

2 - From Jefferson's standpoint, with that potential earning power and the Vikings hellish cap, you should wait a year to see if any cap spike is coming and if they clean up the cap so you can go for more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

2 - From Jefferson's standpoint, with that potential earning power and the Vikings hellish cap, you should wait a year to see if any cap spike is coming and if they clean up the cap so you can go for more.

From Jefferson's standpoint, he could tear every ligament in leg and never be the same again or at the very least delay his extension through the remainder of his rookie deal and potential tags to wait out recovery. The Vikings would also have maximum leverage now (well, at least all the leverage they could get negotiating with the best WR in the game) based on those two years of control. It honestly would behoove both of them to start conversations. 

I wouldn't say the Vikings are in cap hell. An extension now wouldn't hit big cap dollars until 2025 when they have $165M in space. 

I don't think an extension happens this off-season. I was mainly sharing this for AFF since this is his boy and dream scenario for the Steelers. But I do think it could happen where JJ is available. The Vikings have been doing a soft half in/half out roster reset and if they slip back this year, I could see them entering full rebuild. If that happens JJ would be a hell of an asset get for them. 

Big name receivers coming up in the next two off-seasons. Higgins, Ridley, Pittman, Brown, Reagor, Chase, Lamb, Aiyuk, St. Brown, Waddle, and Smith. I would be racing to beat as many of those guys to extension as I could -- specifically Chase, Waddle, and Smith. I am sure Jefferson wants that contract sky high, but the longer the wait is IMO the more likely he becomes available. 

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

From Jefferson's standpoint, he could tear every ligament in leg and never be the same again or at the very least delay his extension through the remainder of his rookie deal and potential tags to wait out recovery. The Vikings would also have maximum leverage now (well, at least all the leverage they could get negotiating with the best WR in the game) based on those two years of control. It honestly would behoove both of them to start conversations. 

I wouldn't say the Vikings are in cap hell. An extension now wouldn't hit big cap dollars until 2025 when they have $165M in space. 

I don't think an extension happens this off-season. I was mainly sharing this for AFF since this is his boy and dream scenario for the Steelers. But I do think it could happen where JJ is available. The Vikings have been doing a soft half in/half out roster reset and if they slip back this year, I could see them entering full rebuild. If that happens JJ would be a hell of an asset get for them. 

Big name receivers coming up in the next two off-seasons. Higgins, Ridley, Pittman, Brown, Reagor, Chase, Lamb, Aiyuk, St. Brown, Waddle, and Smith. I would be racing to beat as many of those guys to extension as I could -- specifically Chase, Waddle, and Smith. I am sure Jefferson wants that contract sky high, but the longer the wait is IMO the more likely he becomes available. 

I’d need a change of pants if they got Jefferson.

I expect Chase/Waddle to never make it to FA.

Sneaky 2nd tier options would be 1 of the Philly WRs if their cap gets tight or Aiyuk who I think is very underrated by the vast majority of non 49er fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather interesting here and I think it also plays into my opinion the Purdy is quite overrated. By punting in those situations and using his stellar defense he gave Purdy short fields to work with. Additionally with that run game and the weapons, 4th and 2 or less should have been easy yards - and I think that comes down to not trusting the QB to always making the play. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...