2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

I don't think there is any reason to overthink projections at the current stage. Neither teams or analysts have their board ready yet. Adderley could easily already be at the top of some teams safeties boards. I believe there was an article a couple of years back which stated, that after the first month of draft focus, only about 7-8 spots in the 1. round was an actual consideration, which means the top 20-25 is pretty quickly established. 

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I thought Hurst was considered one of the top TE prospects throughout the entire draft process?

Not really. By the end of the collegiate season Hurst was only a “top 10 TE”. I remember when I composed my mock draft and was scouting TE prospects, Dallas Goedert and Mark Andrews were the runaway favorites. They were considered 1st/2nd round targets. Hurst was a 5th/6th round prospect at this point last season... and that was by multiple sites I checked.

And while I might’ve had Nick Chubb going later than his listing... that was mainly false hope. With Hurst, I believe I actually put him there in my 4th round under this idea that “the cream will eventually rise to the top”. I thought he was too talented to fall to where he was listed.

Then around February is when Hurst began to be listed as a 3rd round option, which I still considered a great range to take him. Then in March he was considered a 2nd round prospect and continued to rise all the way to the middle of the second round. His prospects stabilized there for a bit until right before the draft in mid April, rumors came out that he would be selected in the late 1st round. Which I lost my mind over and then began vehemently being against a prospect that I loved for most of the draft process... but it was only because I didn’t see the value in him as a 1st round talent.

On another note, doing all this research made me realize that in one of my mocks I almost predicted the exact predicament we found ourselves in the 1st round...

I honestly think the Ravens didn’t expect the Panthers to go with DJ Moore. I think he was the target over Hurst, but went Hurst when things didn’t work out there.

Moore, Jackson, MANdrews, and then draft JJAWs this season would’ve been absurd.

16 hours ago, Danand said:

Terry Goodwin from Georgia just had a nice east-west shrine game. He actually looks like he could bring something to the table, especially if we want to replace John Brown as a deep threat with a late pick in the draft.

serious question, do you think there is still a need for a deep threat with the direction the offense is going?

Moore could fill that role, hell during the last stretch of games they seemingly rather send Craptree deep than Brown

6 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

serious question, do you think there is still a need for a deep threat with the direction the offense is going?

Moore could fill that role, hell during the last stretch of games they seemingly rather send Craptree deep than Brown

Goodwin does most of his damage on go routes and slants, screens and crosses. There is certainly a spot for a player like that. Brown could be that player also, but would most likely take a better offer. Patriots could be an obvious choice for a player like Brown.

30 minutes ago, Danand said:

Goodwin does most of his damage on go routes and slants, screens and crosses. There is certainly a spot for a player like that. Brown could be that player also, but would most likely take a better offer. Patriots could be an obvious choice for a player like Brown.

I would think the North would be too cold considering his condition. I’m thinking a team that plays in a Dome and in the heat might be a better option... but then again, I’m not a doctor so what do I know. You might just be right.

51 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I honestly think the Ravens didn’t expect the Panthers to go with DJ Moore.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Panthers picked Moore in large part because of the SS comps. Greedy Bastards. I had this sneaky idea of us using DJ Moore out of the backfield on passing downs similar to how Ray Rice was used. Making great use of his Elite YAC ability. eusa_wall.gif

Oh well. All we can do is hope the coaches start to take advantage of Hayden Hurst's own talents. Andrews and Hurst are natural centerpiece options for our passing attack, when factoring in LJ8's affinity for TEs and our lack of talent at WR. 

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I would think the North would be too cold considering his condition. I’m thinking a team that plays in a Dome and in the heat might be a better option... but then again, I’m not a doctor so what do I know. You might just be right.

Pure geographical question - but is the climate in Baltimore less harsh than in the Boston area? The medic on my old team was from Boston, and she thought Denmark was cold and tbh our climate seems quite similar to the one in Baltimore where the temperatures rarely are below -10 degrees celcius (think the equivalent is 10 degrees fahrenheit)

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Pure geographical question - but is the climate in Baltimore less harsh than in the Boston area? The medic on my old team was from Boston, and she thought Denmark was cold and tbh our climate seems quite similar to the one in Baltimore where the temperatures rarely are below -10 degrees celcius (think the equivalent is 10 degrees fahrenheit)

I was going to make an educated guess (I would’ve been close), but figured I might as well take to google. Here are the winter temperature averages for each state. There looks to be about a 7-8 degree F difference. Which may not seem like a lot, but especially for a guy from a warmer climate (Florida), it can be a big difference.

Whats more Boston seems to get more snow, which I would imagine would impact their “real feel” temperatures to make that 7-8 degree difference “feel” more like a 15 degree difference between the two states. But that last part is just an educated guess.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-state-temperatures-in-winter.php

I have seen several places, that we need someone with a big catch radius to help Lamar Jackson. Is it just me, or shouldn't we rather focus on those quick wide receivers who can get the quick separation like Snead does?

His quick twitch seemed to be something Lamar liked, and the instant separation rather than the bigger bodied Crabtree with the contested catches had less succes.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I have seen several places, that we need someone with a big catch radius to help Lamar Jackson. Is it just me, or shouldn't we rather focus on those quick wide receivers who can get the quick separation like Snead does?

His quick twitch seemed to be something Lamar liked, and the instant separation rather than the bigger bodied Crabtree with the contested catches had less succes.

Snead isn’t just quick. He has strength to him to fight for balls at the catch point. Same with Crabtree, the reason why Crabtree hasn’t been as successful, with either QB wasn’t because they didn’t get the ball his way but because he didn’t catch said balls. There were numerous opportunities where Lamar targeted Crabtree for little success, not because of quickness but rather his hands. Whereas John Brown wasn’t nearly as successful and he has a bit of quickness to him. It’s because he has no strength at the catch point to make for great confidence that if the ball is off he’s going to help you out.

Chris Moore has some strength at the catch point and Lamar seemingly targeted him more in a limited role than Brown in a more prominent passing role.

Ideally a guy that can do both would be best, Crabtree is plenty quick in small areas (which is why he’s consistently been targeted regardless of team), he simply doesn’t finish. Getting a guy who has similar strengths to Crabtree but catches the ball would be most ideal. In college Lamar’s go to Target was more of a catch point receiver as well.

Not saying that a burner or a quick slot WR wouldn’t enhance what he can do, just that there seems to be better fits with the other kind. Thus why it seems to make sense to target a catch point option. That and you’re more likely, in most years to find a burner than a catch point. So this is the year to load up and take the best option IMO.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Snead isn’t just quick. He has strength to him to fight for balls at the catch point. Same with Crabtree, the reason why Crabtree hasn’t been as successful, with either QB wasn’t because they didn’t get the ball his way but because he didn’t catch said balls. There were numerous opportunities where Lamar targeted Crabtree for little success, not because of quickness but rather his hands. Whereas John Brown wasn’t nearly as successful and he has a bit of quickness to him. It’s because he has no strength at the catch point to make for great confidence that if the ball is off he’s going to help you out.

Chris Moore has some strength at the catch point and Lamar seemingly targeted him more in a limited role than Brown in a more prominent passing role.

Ideally a guy that can do both would be best, Crabtree is plenty quick in small areas (which is why he’s consistently been targeted regardless of team), he simply doesn’t finish. Getting a guy who has similar strengths to Crabtree but catches the ball would be most ideal. In college Lamar’s go to Target was more of a catch point receiver as well.

Not saying that a burner or a quick slot WR wouldn’t enhance what he can do, just that there seems to be better fits with the other kind. Thus why it seems to make sense to target a catch point option. That and you’re more likely, in most years to find a burner than a catch point. So this is the year to load up and take the best option IMO.

I haven't seen much of him, but the WR Lamar had a good connection with in college entered the draft this year. He might be an option instead of Crabtree.

Watched the senior bowl last night, and some of the guys I was intrigiued about came through.

Bradburry at center did well enough, a Jaylon Ferguson got his effort sack and Andy Isabella was the most productive offensive player.

Adderley showed both good coverage, solo tackling skills and got an interception on a poorly thrown ball.

A new interesting wide receiver who might not warrant a top pick was Keelan Doss, who looked like a player most of you guys want - an early separation guy with good catch radius. His speed and overall athleticism was questioned though - Bucky Brooks mentioned that he had some Keenan Allen about him.

Is it me or was this like the least hyped senior bowl in recent memory. I haven’t heard of that dominant standout this season that set it on fire as much as in the past.

Perhaps I just haven’t been paying enough attention? But it just doesn’t feel as strong. What are everyone else’s thoughts on that?

Archived