? Week 4: 2-1 Bucs vs 2-1 Bears

Jimmy Austin

13 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

This is the week for a change if we were ever going to make one in season. 

The defence has to play well today, otherwise I think Smith and his HC level salary gets canned.

I think in the end, Smith is just not a good play caller.  I m not confident about the defense today.  Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo last season ?.  I can't believe our team hasn't had even an average defense since Monte left for Tennessee.   It s a nightmare that won't end.

Just now, ravishingone said:

I think in the end, Smith is just not a good play caller.  I m not confident about the defense today.  Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo last season ?.  I can't believe our team hasn't had even an average defense since Monte left for Tennessee.   It s a nightmare that won't end.

Death by a thousand paper cuts. Sure would be nice if we contested a pass or 10 today.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Death by a thousand paper cuts. Sure would be nice if we contested a pass or 10 today.

The lack of communication excuse has been nauseating.  It just seems to me the secondary plays to the strength of Grimes, no matter the ability of the others.  This is not an indictment on Grimes, but asking Carlton Davis to play off coverage with his size consistently, I just dont get,

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

We were alright in 2010, but really since 2011 I’ve had absolutely no confidence in the defence ever getting a stop.

It’s not for the lack of trying either. We’ve throw premium pick after pick at the defence and we’ve paid a lot of coaches a lot of money to coach (and not to coach) the defence.

I was thinking about this the other day. I genuinely wonder how consistently good our LBs are in pass coverage. In 2012, they played way too close to the LOS, but we blamed Foster for those issues. It’s a problem that’s never really been fully solved. 

We’ll see how the improvement in the pass rush helps the back 7, but the fact that the pass defence has regressed under Smith (despite the investment in the line) is cause for concern.

1 minute ago, Buc Ball said:

We’ll see how the improvement in the pass rush helps the back 7, but the fact that the pass defence has regressed under Smith (despite the investment in the line) is cause for concern.

The biggest problem we have is how deep our zones drop after the snap. We're allowing the short passes, which is stupid. We're so obsessed with "explosives" that we try our damndest to stop them on defense too. Then opposing QBs dink and dunk their way to 360 yards with no opposition or any chance at turning the ball over. And they score 30 points. Because we didn't even try to stop them.

It's infuriating.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

About time.

I wonder how we’ll use him. I doubt Koetter trusts him in pass pro and he hasn’t shown he can run inside consistently.

Early down outside runs/ screens? Outside of that, I don’t know what we’ll do with him that won’t tip our play to the defence.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I wonder how we’ll use him. I doubt Koetter trusts him in pass pro and he hasn’t shown he can run inside consistently.

Early down outside runs/ screens? Outside of that, I don’t know what we’ll do with him that won’t tip our play to the defence.

I'd bet my house that he runs at least one wheel route today.

The biggest problem we have is how deep our zones drop after the snap. We're allowing the short passes, which is stupid. We're so obsessed with "explosives" that we try our damndest to stop them on defense too. Then opposing QBs dink and dunk their way to 360 yards with no opposition or any chance at turning the ball over. And they score 30 points. Because we didn't even try to stop them.

It's infuriating.

How much of this is Smith and how much is it Koetter’s focus on “explosives”. I’ve got to believe that Smith has full autonomy on defence, so I think the blame falls squarely on him.

As an OC, if you get given the flats by the defence, you take the flats. It’s the classic “never go broke making a profit” philosophy. It also neutralises our pass rush because you can quick game your way up and down the field.

We’d cause more pre snap problems for an offence by lining up no more than 5 yards off and going from there.

2 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

We were alright in 2010, but really since 2011 I’ve had absolutely no confidence in the defence ever getting a stop.

It’s not for the lack of trying either. We’ve throw premium pick after pick at the defence and we’ve paid a lot of coaches a lot of money to coach (and not to coach) the defence.

I was thinking about this the other day. I genuinely wonder how consistently good our LBs are in pass coverage. In 2012, they played way too close to the LOS, but we blamed Foster for those issues. It’s a problem that’s never really been fully solved. 

I believe it is a two fold issue.  They spent cash and draft picks on players.  The Dom draft and free agency record was not great.  The organization did Rah no favors by letting him be HC and DC.  Interestingly, Schiano wanted to hire Dan Quinn for his DC, but he stayed at UF.  ? What s funny is Frazier s defense actually showed improvement throughout the year until Lovie took over the following season.  

My point is when there was talent, our DCs just weren't good enough.  Or hey we have talent, we don't need these guys, ie Bennett and Revis.  In Rah s case, he probably did the best job with the minimal talent he had, but the organization gave him way too much responsibility.  Today, I think we can all agree the talent on the roster should allow this defense to be average at the very least.

Only difference between the two is a ****ty Cover 2 vs a ****ty Cover 4.

We've even got CBs we don't know how to use.

We’ve got two rookie cbs who’ve played 3 games. And the rules are more tight in the nfl than college Bc everything is flagged to create offensive entertainment. 

2002 we surrendered what 250 yards per game ? That was dominate. Today if you surrender 400 that’s average. 

Again im not saying smith is an all world coordinator but 3 rookies are starting in the secondary right now. And grimes we don’t know if he’ll return back to form. 

The cheifs saints and rams are three teams that’s aren’t playing great ball on defense. 

Thats the nfl today. They cater the rules to be offensive fire power and shootouts. 

Archived