2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Depends on the cost. I know that a couple of us were not fans of his coming out of college, but he's turned into a solid #2. That being said, I probably don't want to burn through more picks. I'd be open to a swap of fifth year options - Armstead can take over the role in their defense that was created when Sheldon left, we will have a glut of defensive linemen (assuming Williams / Bosa is the pick, Street coming back, etc), and we will get a competent cornerback in the #2 role to battle it out with Spoon. But that's largely the only deal I'm really considering. 

That trade would intrigue me, but that would also be it. But I see Armstead as a 49er in 2019 and nothing else. I don't buy us getting rid of him. Not saying you do; I know that this was a hypothetical. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

That trade would intrigue me, but that would also be it. But I see Armstead as a 49er in 2019 and nothing else. I don't buy us getting rid of him. Not saying you do; I know that this was a hypothetical. 

Yeah, I Think the staff loves him and he's not going anywhere. But personally, yeah, I'd be willing to move him. I Think it makes sense, especially with this type of deal. 

Verrett coming off an achilles injury does worry me, but that dude was so talented when healthy. his ACL injury was only a partial tear so that’s not as debilitating. As long as he passes this physical and is ready to go week 1, this is a great signing. 

32 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

You're right. Mack set the market. That is the price that one of the top 2 defensive players in the league is worth. Dee Ford is not the other one. 

Chandler Jones is the better comparison- the talented edge rusher who had trouble staying on the field and made his first Pro Bowl in a contract year. That type of player goes for a 2nd round pick. 

Going by the trade value chart a 2020 2nd is essentially a 2019 3rd.

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

With our top 3 rbs battling injuries all last season this move makes more sense than I first thought. 

Well, makes sense and a great price. Familiar with the system as he was in it for the first two years of his career. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's still idiotic lol 

I can't complain about this. An excellent scheme fit. And our guys are all injury prone. I get that the team is good at finding scheme fits late in the draft, but sometimes they find Joe Williams. I think they can/should keep Breida, McKinnon, and Mostert with him. Let someone else go at another position. But with Coleman you know you have someone reliable. And both his cap hit and cap total are both entirely insignificant with our cap space and the total 2019 salary cap. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I can't complain about this. An excellent scheme fit. And our guys are all injury prone. I get that the team is good at finding scheme fits late in the draft, but sometimes they find Joe Williams. I think they can/should keep Breida, McKinnon, and Mostert with him. Let someone else go at another position. But with Coleman you know you have someone reliable. And both his cap hit and cap total are both entirely insignificant with our cap space and the total 2019 salary cap. 

100%

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

It should cause concern with regards to our evals of players, our roster building strategy, etc. Its honestly not even about the player or the contract. It's just symptomatic of a bigger issue that I have with this FO (and have had through all three years of this regime). 

But at least this one wasn't an asinine overpay, I will give them that. 

Just now, Forge said:

It should cause concern with regards to our evals of players, our roster building strategy, etc. Its honestly not even about the player or the contract. It's just symptomatic of a bigger issue that I have with this FO (and have had through all three years of this regime). 

But at least this one wasn't an asinine overpay, I will give them that. 

Yeah. This is just depth/improvement, though. I like things that improve at low cost. But I do largely agree that the regime has a poor reputation in this category. 

Archived