2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

Right now, the 49ers have Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon and Tarvarius Moore at cornerback. They have Jaquiski Tartt, Adrian Colbert and Marcell Harris at safety. The club believes Jimmie Ward as their best defensive back at the time he got injured. They would like to bring him back, and they've offered him a one-year deal, according to a source.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-some-free-agency-needs-filled-others-remain-untouched

Best DB at exactly what? This team's evaluations seem pretty shaky lol.

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So were they willing to swap firsts or no? I still haven't seen where that was said.

Also Jay Ajayi is a FA. I don't know if we'd sign him but he could come cheap even though he literally has no knees.

No clue, but I bet that would be the starting point of any serious OBJ negotiations.

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so is maicco saying we should be content with another 7-9/8-8 year? because I'm not. I always said by year three we better be atleast a wildcard team.

The team hasn't made too many upgrades that's for sure. But we will be getting Jimmy G back along with McKinnon and will likely be drafting a game changer at #2 so that will certainly help things. But not getting a top level safety really hurts. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No clue, but I bet that would be the starting point of any serious OBJ negotiations.

The team hasn't made too many upgrades that's for sure. But we will be getting Jimmy G back along with McKinnon and will likely be drafting a game changer at #2 so that will certainly help things. But not getting a top level safety really hurts. 

I am a bit nervous about our WR depth. Yes, we can draft someone but how fast can he pick up the offense and the pace of the NFL? I'm hoping we take a look at Golden Tate.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-some-free-agency-needs-filled-others-remain-untouched

Best DB at exactly what? This team's evaluations seem pretty shaky lol.

to be fair, when it comes to all his blown coverages, we don't actually know who is blowing what. BB talked about how incredibly hard it is to breakdown film for coaches ON the team. Basically you have to have a playbook and record of plays called/position coach input*  before you can even grade out film properly. 

So if internally, they're grading  him out as their best DB, though concerning, it might just mean that Akhello/Ku'ann were that bad and/or the defensive calls from others were that bad (a noted issue during the season). 

It just appeared to me last year that Ward might have been the worst guy in the secondary. 

Just sucks, most of us thought Ward would have been fine as a cover 3 safety..between being made out of class and blown coverages..I'm not getting the valuation. But they know things we don't. 

7 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so is maicco saying we should be content with another 7-9/8-8 year? because I'm not. I always said by year three we better be atleast a wildcard team.

The team lost a total of 6 games in 2018 by less than 7 points.  Most of those losses were games where a I think the clutchness Jimmy has shown would have won.  That makes for a 10-6 team.  Likely a wild card team and that is without a pass rush.  That is with a very injured roster where they to throw younger players in the fire.

Moore shouldn't have been starting but thanks to the injuries he got valuable playing time and showed enough where I am ok with him in the mix.  Witherspoon had a rough start to year two but rebounded.  If Thomas adds size and moves inside either him or DJ Jones solidifies the line.  Adding a second edge rusher in a wide 9 or having Ford play Sam also helps.

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again though, according to Maiocco it doesn't seem like we are offering any starting spots at corner, just competition against Spoon. Desir probably didn't like that and knew in Indy he is the guaranteed starter.

Plus, it makes more sense to get those offers in for Bell instead ;)

Why go after for sure starters at corners when we have questionable players there when you can go after an improvement at one of the least pressing positions lol

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Plus, it makes more sense to get those offers in for Bell instead ;)

Why go after for sure starters at corners when we have questionable players there when you can go after an improvement at one of the least pressing positions lol

I don't know man, I think Spoon is giving any of the corners we sign/draft a serious run for their money. Was playing some really good ball before his injury....Minus the weekly suspect penalty call that would go against him of course. 

Since it seems like there are nothing but injured available free agents, how about we take a look at Tyler Eifert? Or is he completely broken? Jared Cook is some how available. Verrett and Darby are no-brainiers. . 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know man, I think Spoon is giving any of the corners we sign/draft a serious run for their money. Was playing some really good ball before his injury....Minus the weekly suspect penalty call that would go against him of course. 

Since it seems like there are nothing but injured available free agents, how about we take a look at Tyler Eifert? Or is he completely broken? Jared Cook is some how available. Verrett and Darby are no-brainiers. . 

I think this is another aspect that's sort of being glided over a bit. It appears they really, REALLY want Akhello to be the guy and don't want to sign someone who will outright impede his development or playing time.

I don't know if I agree with that but I feel that's why we didn't go hard after Desir. He would be an obvious starter for the next 3 years..

Just now, John232 said:

I think this is another aspect that's sort of being glided over a bit. It appears they really, REALLY want Akhello to be the guy and don't want to sign someone who will outright impede his development or playing time.

I don't know if I agree with that but I feel that's why we didn't go hard after Desir. He would be an obvious starter for the next 3 years..

I'm not sure if that is it. They just don't want to pay another corner more than what they are paying Sherman and don't think anyone is available that they guarantee a shot without competition with Spoon. Maybe they are high on Spoon, especially at how he flashed his rookie season and the last four or five games he played last year. 

But let's see how this plays out, don't be surprised if we go corner in round 1 or 2.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not sure if that is it. They just don't want to pay another corner more than what they are paying Sherman and don't think anyone is available that they guarantee a shot without competition with Spoon. Maybe they are high on Spoon, especially at how he flashed his rookie season and the last four or five games he played last year. 

But let's see how this plays out, don't be surprised if we go corner in round 1 or 2.

Can Verrett or Darby play inside? I was under the impression Darby was best suited outside and Verrett could do both. 

Archived