2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

7 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

And a year later they got a 13 sack pass rusher for far less than Chicago gave up for Mack(and far less than we offered for Mack).

Well that makes it even more stupid to assume that they'd trade mack to us because at that point he hadn't even started holding out 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Honestly..are they allowed too? I thought things like Medical details only really get disclosed come until the physical. 

I would think that they could, but I'll be honest, I don't know. 

It's just a big risk...if his knee doesn't check out, you're left with nothing and the big FA are off the board. You don't have a viable alternative. If they weren't able, I would hope that they were at least able to check the medicals and review. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but they were in on Earl, so clearly they are not opposed to having interchangeable safeties in their scheme. 

Plus Dorsey + KC + Berry...that signing makes a lot of sense if the Browns grab him. 

Reports after the fact were that they weren't really that in on Earl. 

Earls agent leaking that right after the obj trade was savvy, knowing the Ravens were making a good push 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would think that they could, but I'll be honest, I don't know. 

It's just a big risk...if his knee doesn't check out, you're left with nothing and the big FA are off the board. You don't have a viable alternative. If they weren't able, I would hope that they were at least able to check the medicals and review. 

tbf Zach Brown is available...but yeah not a good look. 

Last year's team reminds me a lot of the 2010 squad actually.

Needed a pass rusher and CB(had some people who were young or not sure what we had in them).  Safety was thought to be needing an upgrade as well.  The defense played well to end the season and had really good pieces on the front seven.  Just no consistent pass rusher to open things up for everyone else.  We also started 3 different QBs due to injury then too.

They drafted Aldon Smith for the pass rush.  The most they did to address the secondary was sign Rogers and Whitner.  Aside from that they drafted Fully.  But the key part, and when the defense truly took off, was when Aldon got more playing time.  The only offensive additions were late picks or mid-level guys.(Kaep was drafted too but didn't see the field much until the year after).

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Well that makes it even more stupid to assume that they'd trade mack to us because at that point he hadn't even started holding out 

Where did you even see me say trade for Mack.  Chicago won't cut him unless he gets a few DV charges he has played so well for them.

1 minute ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Where did you even see me say trade for Mack.  Chicago won't cut him unless he gets a few DV charges he has played so well for them.

Go back and read what I said and your response to that lol

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Can Verrett or Darby play inside? I was under the impression Darby was best suited outside and Verrett could do both. 

I think Verrett would better served inside in the slot though some ppl feel otherwise. He has been in the outside majority if his career thus far. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I was comparing what we gave to Ford vs the market for Edge Rushers set a year prior by Chicago.

But you can't make that comparison between those two - Mack is a far better player with a better, more productive history. 

Jimmie Ward just won't go away. I don't get it. He's done nothing like ever. Nothing except get hurt. 

Earl Thomas, Tre Boston, HaHa Clinton-Dix, and now Eric Berry...how hard is it to sign a free safety in this deep a safety FA class? We shouldn't be staring down the barrel of Ward or Colbert at free safety next season. 

4 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I was comparing what we gave to Ford vs the market for Edge Rushers set a year prior by Chicago.

Yes. The Bears paid more for a far superior player. As it should be. A 3x Pro Bowl player, 2x All-pro, and former DPOY (he added a Pro Bowl/All-Pro team after the trade) will fetch more than a guy with one Pro Bowl appearance in a contract year and an extensive injury history.

Don't get me wrong- I am very happy with Ford as a 49er. But let's not act like this was a comparable deal. I would take Mack at his cost over Ford at his cost every day of the week including Sunday (like...especially Sunday).

Archived