2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It is when there are bigger issues to be found. The roster building is maddening. We didn't have to look at the running back market at all. My guess is that someone is gone before the start of the season. I Like coleman the player, actually really like the contract lol. I hate the roster building priorities. 

But who's to say that Coleman was a bigger priority than signing a starter-level CB or FS? 

1 minute ago, mw2noobbuster said:

So if we were to sign Clinton Dix and Verrett would you be happy with this signing? I definitely see what you're getting at, but I'm talking but Colemen and his contract by itself. 

For sure. There's definitely still time. I don't know if that will happen with Ward back in the fold, but we will see. Its mostly just frustrating because everyone on this board knew we had a major need at that safety spot...but somehow the FO didn't agree. It's just weird. Last year they stood pat on the EDGE market when everyone and their brother knew we needed an edge guy. It's just really weird. 

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Getting Earl Thomas would have made me feel a lot better, not sure our cap space though 

We're bound to have ample room. I'm just wondering what the hypothetical difference in contract would have been... for ET to choose to be in Baltimore? of all places over Cali. 

giphy.webp?cid=3640f6095c899bc947574b315

1 minute ago, struby3 said:

But who's to say that Coleman was a bigger priority than signing a starter-level CB or FS? 

Well, we really haven't been attached to a single safety besides Ward during this entire period so far as I'm aware. So I definitely think that they had a bigger priority on RB than they did on FS. We have been in and out on the CB market, so they could be comparable and the RB just got signed first. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. There's definitely still time. I don't know if that will happen with Ward back in the fold, but we will see. Its mostly just frustrating because everyone on this board knew we had a major need at that safety spot...but somehow the FO didn't agree. It's just weird. Last year they stood pat on the EDGE market when everyone and their brother knew we needed an edge guy. It's just really weird. 

Maybe they're just a year in delay haha. All joking aside, the Ward extension makes me believe that we're out of the market for a safety. Which is really depressing since it's so needed in this 4-3 scheme. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Well, we really haven't been attached to a single safety besides Ward during this entire period so far as I'm aware. So I definitely think that they had a bigger priority on RB than they did on FS. We have been in and out on the CB market, so they could be comparable and the RB just got signed first. 

Maiocco claims that we were in on Thomas but his asking price was too high. If we don't want to go over $9M/yr on a FS (as Maiocco speculates), then most of the safeties are outside of our price range. Maybe we should have taken Coleman's 5M/yr and added it to the 9M/yr FS budget. Then we could have offered Thomas $14M/yr for his first two years at least.

IDK what to think about all of this. If McKinnon isn't ready to play, then I guess we'll be glad to have Coleman. If he is ready to play, then one of the three top backs won't be getting enough touches to stay happy, me thinks.

Just now, struby3 said:

Maiocco claims that we were in on Thomas but his asking price was too high. If we don't want to go over $9M/yr on a FS (as Maiocco speculates), then most of the safeties are outside of our price range. Maybe we should have taken Coleman's 5M/yr and added it to the 9M/yr FS budget. Then we could have offered Thomas $14M/yr for his first two years at least.

IDK what to think about all of this. If McKinnon isn't ready to play, then I guess we'll be glad to have Coleman. If he is ready to play, then one of the three top backs won't be getting enough touches to stay happy, me thinks.

He clarified the 9/m yr later on - he was talking about cornerbacks, not safeties or ET. 

There was talk about us being interested in ET, but never any real talk of us being in on ET. I think it's important to note that there is a difference. 

3 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Maybe they're just a year in delay haha. All joking aside, the Ward extension makes me believe that we're out of the market for a safety. Which is really depressing since it's so needed in this 4-3 scheme. 

And that's my big thing. If he had been really good in years past and they wanted to take a chance on him staying healthy for the year, I could actually understand it more. But he hasn't really shown that's any good at safety thus far. 

But it is what it is. This could still be a really good team. We have to wait and see. For whatever reason, they aren't putting an emphasis on safety right now. Maybe we will be changing the scheme up a little more, who knows? Safety isn't anywhere near as dire of a need if we are running more cover 2 out there or something. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He clarified the 9/m yr later on - he was talking about cornerbacks, not safeties or ET. 

There was talk about us being interested in ET, but never any real talk of us being in on ET. I think it's important to note that there is a difference. 

Sure, I'm just saying that it's likely that Lynch and Co. explored every safety and either decided they weren't a fit or that they were too expensive. That certainly doesn't mean that RB was a higher priority than FS for us. 

Or maybe it was, because Lynch thinks Jimmie is Gawd and that McKinnon isn't rehabbing well. Who knows? I never claim to actually know anything. I'm dum, no jenius.

The more I look at how this free agency is turning out, I can definitely see us trading out of the number 2 pick and picking up an extra rd 1 or rd 2 pick.

Taking into consideration that at this point we have not signed a difference maker at WR, CB, or Safety through FA and we will definitely want to pick up a young/ developmental EDGE to match Dee Ford. I just picture the Lynch & Shanny show to take a shot at at a slightly less polished EDGE  (since we got Dee) if it provides the opportunity to upgrade other positions

I figure if we trade out:

Pick 1 (1st round)- take a 2nd tier EDGE (Sweat, Burns, Ferrell)

Pick 2 (1st or 2nd round) - CB/Safety

Pick 3 ( 2nd round) - WR/ Safety

Very disappointed thus far that we haven't brought in CB/ Safety help through Free Agency, I know it's early, i just expected them to make bigger plays for those positions in the first couple days. Still crossing my fingers for Verrett/ Darby.

Nothing much left for Safety outside of HaHa and definitely no game-changing WR's in FA.

Just my two cents

I don’t any move indicates we’re trading back. I don’t get why people think this is signaling that. Sure, NYG has more ammo for that speculative move,  but I tbj n the 49ers have been much more sensible with their draft strategy (for the most part) so  I’d have to imagine if Bosa is there, it’s going to be him. Now if he’s not..then yeah, the trade back would not only make more sense but probably be preferred (at least for me). 

13 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

The more I look at how this free agency is turning out, I can definitely see us trading out of the number 2 pick and picking up an extra rd 1 or rd 2 pick.

Taking into consideration that at this point we have not signed a difference maker at WR, CB, or Safety through FA and we will definitely want to pick up a young/ developmental EDGE to match Dee Ford. I just picture the Lynch & Shanny show to take a shot at at a slightly less polished EDGE  (since we got Dee) if it provides the opportunity to upgrade other positions

I figure if we trade out:

Pick 1 (1st round)- take a 2nd tier EDGE (Sweat, Burns, Ferrell)

Pick 2 (1st or 2nd round) - CB/Safety

Pick 3 ( 2nd round) - WR/ Safety

Very disappointed thus far that we haven't brought in CB/ Safety help through Free Agency, I know it's early, i just expected them to make bigger plays for those positions in the first couple days. Still crossing my fingers for Verrett/ Darby.

Nothing much left for Safety outside of HaHa and definitely no game-changing WR's in FA.

Just my two cents

If Bosa is available at 2 I think he needs to be taken. If he's gone then I'd say trade back. 

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

I don’t any move indicates we’re trading back. I don’t get why people think this is signaling that. Sure, NYG has more ammo for that speculative move,  but I tbj n the 49ers have been much more sensible with their draft strategy (for the most part) so  I’d have to imagine if Bosa is there, it’s going to be him. Now if he’s not..then yeah, the trade back would not only make more sense but probably be preferred (at least for me). 

Agreed. You just can't pass up on Bosa. 

Archived