Are the Falcons cursed?

freeman+coleman

They have a terribad defense, and they played the Saints.  Not shocking at all they lost with 40 points.  The Saints have lost games while scoring a crap ton almost every year for the last decade.  Maybe it's 35 instead of 36, but that hardly matters.  The point is, terribad defense is a great way to lose games.

I didn't watch the other game, cannot comment on it.  But terribad defense is probably a good guess.

I have to wonder though, how many people actually believe in curses?

17 hours ago, Danand said:

They have a great starting defense and bad depth (apparently). This is just a season where they are not as healthy as they have been the past couple of seasons.

Agreed, but its kinda understandable.  The fact of the matter is that the excellent veterans they have amassed as their starters command a massive portion of their salary cap (especially since they've recently had to pay Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, etc).  That just leaves them unable to go out and get quality depth behind those starters and we are seeing the worst case scenario of those starters going down to injury playing out this season unfortunately.  Teams like the Rams and Eagles are paying their franchise QB's peanuts because they are still on rookie deals so they can amass veteran FA's all over the roster for depth, but the Falcons have to rely on bottom tier FA's and their later draft picks for that depth and are suffering the consequences of that now.

And please, before the inevitable occurs, spare me the "Matt Ryan ain't worth the money" hot take as this year's awful start has nothing to do with him or his play so far.  Dude is absolutely lighting up defenses and has done almost everything a franchise QB can possibly do to get this team W's.  The last two weeks in a row he's thrown for nearly 800 yards, 8 TD's, no INT's or fumbles, and has lead them to late-game TD's that gave them at least a 5 point lead in the final two minutes of both games yet had to sit on the sideline and watch Brees and Dalton march their teams down the field for the W's while being powerless to do anything about it. 

And keep in mind that Ryan has been having to do all this facing relatively healthy starting defenses while his opponents have gotten to face a decimated Falcons defense playing rookies and bottom-level veterans.  Hell, BOTH of their starting safeties against the Bengals Sunday are converted CB's and not even natural safeties to begin with (Damontae Kazee and Bryan Poole)!

10 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Agreed, but its kinda understandable.  The fact of the matter is that the excellent veterans they have amassed as their starters command a massive portion of their salary cap (especially since they've recently had to pay Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, etc).  That just leaves them unable to go out and get quality depth behind those starters and we are seeing the worst case scenario of those starters going down to injury playing out this season unfortunately.  Teams like the Rams and Eagles are paying their franchise QB's peanuts because they are still on rookie deals so they can amass veteran FA's all over the roster for depth, but the Falcons have to rely on bottom tier FA's and their later draft picks for that depth and are suffering the consequences of that now.

And please, before the inevitable occurs, spare me the "Matt Ryan ain't worth the money" hot take as this year's awful start has nothing to do with him or his play so far.  Dude is absolutely lighting up defenses and has done almost everything a franchise QB can possibly do to get this team W's.  The last two weeks in a row he's thrown for nearly 800 yards, 8 TD's, no INT's or fumbles, and has lead them to late-game TD's that gave them at least a 5 point lead in the final two minutes of both games yet had to sit on the sideline and watch Brees and Dalton march their teams down the field for the W's while being powerless to do anything about it. 

And keep in mind that Ryan has been having to do all this facing relatively healthy starting defenses while his opponents have gotten to face a decimated Falcons defense playing rookies and bottom-level veterans.  Hell, BOTH of their starting safeties against the Bengals Sunday are converted CB's and not even natural safeties to begin with (Damontae Kazee and Bryan Poole)!

I feel no sympathy for these QB's. They can hide behind "agents" or the "market" all they want, but at the end of the day, they are the ones accepting these ungodly amounts of money, many times to the detriment of their team. As much as I dislike the Patriots, I will always respect Tom Brady for taking less than his market value. Shows he cares about winning more than money, and I wish there were more like him.  

20 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

The Saints have lost games while scoring a crap ton almost every year for the last decade.  Maybe it's 35 instead of 36, but that hardly matters. 

Yeah but we also will give you 2-3 fumbles and a few picks to go with the 36+ burger. Then hang 28 on you in the 4th quarter to make it look like it was a game (it wasn't). :D

This curse is for those that did not turn the ball over and still lost...

14 minutes ago, nolaexpat said:

Yeah but we also will give you 2-3 fumbles and a few picks to go with the 36+ burger. Then hang 28 on you in the 4th quarter to make it look like it was a game (it wasn't). :D

This curse is for those that did not turn the ball over and still lost...

Curses aren't real.

Archived