Trip to Atlanta

clarkfn2284

We are headed to Atlanta for the Falcons game this upcoming week. We will be in on Friday and leave on Monday. I was curios as to any must sees while we are in town and at the game. My Son is a huge Falcons fan, so this trip is for him. He is 7 btw. So no strip clubs.........because his Mom wouldnt allow it.

depends on the area youre staying in and your budget...

theres a popular dog park with a bar thats a good spot to just hang out and your kid can play with the dogs. O4W is a pretty cool spot in general and plenty of good places to eat aeound there. lots of stuff to do ig you walk the beltline as well.

legoland and the aquarium are in the city as well, aquarium is really nice but i think tickets are a little pricy.

The 4 main touristy stuff that people typically do:

• Aquarium 
  • World Of Coca Cola (they have a huge tasting area at the end which features a ton of their worldwide drinks. pretty interesting)
  • CNN center tour (Aquarium, CNN, Coca cola are all next to each other. look into a City Pass for savings)
  • Stone Mountain Park (I live a few minutes from there)

Then there's:

• Piedmont Park. That's THE BEST spot to bring the wife and kid for a nice day outside
  • O4W and stuff in East Atlanta is OK, especially at the Glenwood/flat Shoals Intersection
  • Little 5 Points (try Fox Bros BBQ if you can)
  • Whitewater (or other) Chattahoochie River Trail
  • Atlantic Station is popular, but that's really just a big development with a bunch of shops and restaurants. 
  • MLK's house and Margret Mitchell House
  • Ponce City Market and then the smaller Krog Street Market. Those are both refurbished old brick warehouse buildings, repurposed for shopping and dining.
  • The Civil Rights Museum (new)
  • The College Football HOF (new)
  • The High Museum Of Art (as seen on The Black Panther)
  • Skyview 

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

The 4 main touristy stuff that people typically do:

• Aquarium 
  • World Of Coca Cola (they have a huge tasting area at the end which features a ton of their worldwide drinks. pretty interesting)
  • CNN center tour (Aquarium, CNN, Coca cola are all next to each other. look into a City Pass for savings)
  • Stone Mountain Park (I live a few minutes from there)

Then there's:

• Piedmont Park. That's THE BEST spot to bring the wife and kid for a nice day outside
  • O4W and stuff in East Atlanta is OK, especially at the Glenwood/flat Shoals Intersection
  • Little 5 Points (try Fox Bros BBQ if you can)
  • Whitewater (or other) Chattahoochie River Trail
  • Atlantic Station is popular, but that's really just a big development with a bunch of shops and restaurants. 
  • MLK's house and Margret Mitchell House
  • Ponce City Market and then the smaller Krog Street Market. Those are both refurbished old brick warehouse buildings, repurposed for shopping and dining.
  • The Civil Rights Museum (new)
  • The College Football HOF (new)
  • The High Museum Of Art (as seen on The Black Panther)
  • Skyview 

Sounds good. We have MLK and the Margaret Mitchell house pegged as must sees. Also plan to hit the World of Coca Cola. I have heard that a lot of the stuff there by the stadium can be done in a day or so. Also, definitely need to find the best food in the area. I am a hug Southern BBQ and Southern cuisine guy.

5 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Sounds good. We have MLK and the Margaret Mitchell house pegged as must sees. Also plan to hit the World of Coca Cola. I have heard that a lot of the stuff there by the stadium can be done in a day or so. Also, definitely need to find the best food in the area. I am a hug Southern BBQ and Southern cuisine guy.

Southern Art boasts the best buttermilk fried chicken. I've been there and I haven't tasted any better:

https://southernart.com/

Stone Mountain is a good 30+ min. drive away, but a lot of the other stuff is 10-15 minutes away, if not adjacent to the stadium area.

Ignore the College Football Hall of Fame. Huge disappointment unless to you want to pay $20 plus dollars to have your kid to an small version of the NFL experience. Fat Matts has the best BBQ chicken I've had here. Haven't had any of the pork BBQ downtown.

Aquarium 

• World Of Coca Cola (they have a huge tasting area at the end which features a ton of their worldwide drinks. pretty interesting) - Haven't been
  • CNN center tour (Aquarium, CNN, Coca cola are all next to each other. look into a City Pass for savings) - Pass
  • Stone Mountain Park (I live a few minutes from there) - It's ok.

Then there's:

• Piedmont Park. That's THE BEST spot to bring the wife and kid for a nice day outside - Great place to go.
  • O4W and stuff in East Atlanta is OK, especially at the Glenwood/flat Shoals Intersection - Agreed
  • Little 5 Points (try Fox Bros BBQ if you can) - Dirty AS F!!
  • Whitewater (or other) Chattahoochie River Trail - This was a lot of fun when I went
  • Atlantic Station is popular, but that's really just a big development with a bunch of shops and restaurants. - Agreed!
  • MLK's house and Margret Mitchell House - I drove by it but never went in.
  • Ponce City Market and then the smaller Krog Street Market. Those are both refurbished old brick warehouse buildings, repurposed for shopping and dining. - This is fun but be read to spend money.
  • The Civil Rights Museum (new) - Need to go
  • The College Football HOF (new) - Bleh
  • The High Museum Of Art (as seen on The Black Panther) - Yep
  • Skyview  - Oh yeah

Also the Battery where the Braves play has a ton of restaurants and some shopping. You can get right up to the stadium also even when it's closed.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, scar988 said:

Live in Marietta and grew up in Marietta, but I'm always downtown or near it for work.

I work as a civil engineer and have been involved in a lot of small-to-medium commercial projects and road projects in that area.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I work as a civil engineer and have been involved in a lot of small-to-medium commercial projects and road projects in that area.

Oh nice. I went to school for that. We should meet up for a beer sometime.

• 3 months later...

Archived