Way too early 2019 offseason thread

RpMc

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, RpMc said:

We’ve got a thread dedicated to which players we could start to look at in the draft, but to handle the week to week down time let’s turn our gaze inward. Which players on the roster that are free agents, or a year away, need new deals, or won’t be back. 

I will start the discussion with this list:

FREE AGENTS

SHELDON RICHARDSON - UFA

LATAVIUS MURRAY - UFA

ANTHONY BARR - UFA

NICK EASTON - UFA

DAN BAILEY - UFA

MARCUS SHERELS - UFA

TOM JOHNSON - UFA

TOM COMPTON - UFA

GEORGE ILOKA - UFA

ALDRICK ROBINSON - UFA

ANTHONY HARRIS - RFA

BIG SALARY / LOW DEAD MONEY

TRAE WAYNES - 9,069,000 (0)

KYLE RUDOLPH - 7,625,000 (0)

MIKE REMMERS - 6,350,000 (1,800,000)

ANDREW SENDEJO - 5,500,000 (0)

—————

Which free agents do you prioritize? Which high money guys should be on the outs and who replaces them (current player? Pick? Free agent?) Assuming another roughly $10,000,000 salary cap increase, with around $1,000,000 in cap rollover, we have less than $5,000,000 in cap space for next year. And some relatively big named free agents, plus a player in Adam Thielen who’s severely outplayed his deal.

If the season ended today...the only free agents I'd be making much effort at resigning would be Murray and Easton.  I would also keep Waynes, but dump Rudolph, Remmers and I would actually dump Sendejo now...he's still leading with his helmet a lot of the time...still going for the hit and missing the tackle...he's returned to his undisciplined

27 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the season ended today...the only free agents I'd be making much effort at resigning would be Murray and Easton.  I would also keep Waynes, but dump Rudolph, Remmers and I would actually dump Sendejo now...he's still leading with his helmet a lot of the time...still going for the hit and missing the tackle...he's returned to his undisciplined

Not trying to bring Richardson back?

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Not trying to bring Richardson back?

Like I said, if the season ended today...presently, Richardson has been ok...but, I think others might be able to match or exceed the production he's giving while costing less.

50 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why bring Easton back? 

Honestly, he wasn’t that good as a starter. Add in the serious neck injury, and I’m walking away. 

If you’re looking for a backup C/G, I’d just try and keep Jones. 

I should've added, if healthy, with regards to Easton.  Are there any better alternatives?  Yeah, he's not great...he's not going to the hall of fame...but he's quality depth, and when next Elflein last season he was actually serviceable.  Frankly, I don't trust the front office to find anyone better to take his place.

11 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I should've added, if healthy, with regards to Easton.  Are there any better alternatives?  Yeah, he's not great...he's not going to the hall of fame...but he's quality depth, and when next Elflein last season he was actually serviceable.  Frankly, I don't trust the front office to find anyone better to take his place.

I'd take Easton over Jones if healthy to be my primary backup along the IOL. 

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd take Easton over Jones if healthy to be my primary backup along the IOL. 

Yep, me too. Cost considerations come into play though. I wouldn't pay either of them what they are making this year to be the primary IOL backup. Also, I would not pay either of them to be the starter because I don't think either of them deserve to be the starter. I would love Easton back as a backup. Of course, that does mean finding two starting guards somewhere or another. That isn't exactly easy.

When things get to this point you have to realistically be considering it a multi-year rebuild of the line (still). In the meantime, the team needs to sign a free agent stopgap to hold the fort. Right now, Tom Compton would be my chosen stopgap starter. I would look to sign another free agent that is hopefully a proven above average starter at guard to take the position longer-term. If that is not possible, I suppose you look for a second stopgap in free agency.

From there, if you found a free agent that is a longer-term solution you look to draft in the first couple days an eventual replacement for the stopgap. If you are left with two stopgaps you look to draft two guards ideally both in the first couple days of the draft.

Given the there may be more stopgaps on the team at positions including LB, DT, and S than the team has draft picks in the first couple days of the draft it may not be possible to draft eventual replacements for all the stopgaps in one year. In this likely case, you draft guys later and hope to get lucky resigning yourself to multiple years of stopgap level play otherwise. This is the way it goes in the NFL. It is nearly impossible to have solid long-term starters at all positions on the field. For that reason, it is very important to find the best short-term stopgaps possible before the draft.

Heres where I'm currently at:

FREE AGENTS

SHELDON RICHARDSON - UFA 

RESIGN - Richardson has been great for our defense & has brought something we've lacked for quite a while(Pressure up the middle) I'd look at a 2 or 3 year deal and possibly draft a guy in the mid rounds to try to develop

LATAVIUS MURRAY - UFA

LET WALK - Before letting him walk I'd see if he'd be willing to take a similar salary to his reduced one now, however I doubt the Vikings will even do that as they seem to really like Roc Thomas & Mike Boone

ANTHONY BARR - UFA

RESIGN - Sure Barr had that really bad game against Buffalo but other than that game I don't think he's played anywhere near as bad as some have made it out to be.  I still have a very hard time believing he will easily be replaced.  

NICK EASTON - UFA

TEST MARKET - I liked Easton as the starting LG before the season started, of coarse he got hurt and never got to play there.  If he checks all boxes on his medical I would look to bring him back as depth.  I think we need a new starting OL somewhere else and that we should use a high pick on one(1st or 2nd round or trade)

DAN BAILEY - UFA

RESIGN - Depending upon how the rest of the season plays out this could change.  I also would bring in some sort of competition for him(UDFA)

MARCUS SHERELS - UFA

RESIGN - Always liked Sherels & shouldn't cost much

TOM JOHNSON - UFA

TEST MARKET - Its possible he's brought back especially if we don't lock up Richardson but I think one of the younger guys on the roster should be able to replicate what he brings to the table.  He's not a player I would give a lot of money to but if he signed cheap enough he'd be a good addition

TOM COMPTON - UFA

LET WALK - Unless Cousins specifically says he wants him back I just cant see anyway he'd be back.  Isidora should be as good if not better than Compton next year and that's if we don't draft or bring in a FA to upgrade the position

GEORGE ILOKA - UFA

TEST MARKET - I believe he will be the guy who replaces Sendejo next year but I'd see how much Clinton-Dix would take on the open market

ALDRICK ROBINSON - UFA

LET WALK - We need another WR but I'd look to the draft or another possible bargain FA, IDK why but I have a feeling Fitzgerald will be a Viking next year & Treadwell will be released. I also wouldn't mind bringing Flash back who I believe would fit in our offense a lot better now.

ANTHONY HARRIS - RFA

TEST MARKET - I'd see what kind of contract he gets but I'd be prepared to let him walk

BIG SALARY / LOW DEAD MONEY

TRAE WAYNES - 9,069,000 (0)

TRADE - I'd look around the league and find a trade partner for a possible starting OG hopefully Waynes can improve his value but moving forward I would have Rhodes & Hughes on the outside and put Kearse in the NCB spot.  Mac can either be the 4th CB or look to move on from him as well and bring in another CB during the draft or FA if Hill doesn't look like he'd be capable of it, although I believe he will be.

KYLE RUDOLPH - 7,625,000 (0)

RESTRUCTURE - Theres no guarantee he'd be willing to take a pay cut 

MIKE REMMERS - 6,350,000 (1,800,000)

RELEASE -  Simply too much money for not enough production, not to mention he's a better OT than he is OG

ANDREW SENDEJO - 5,500,000 (0)

RELEASE - With the new rules the game has simply passed him by & I strongly believe he's a liability out there for us with the way he plays, its only a matter of time before he costs us a game with a stupid penalty

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Like I said, if the season ended today...presently, Richardson has been ok...but, I think others might be able to match or exceed the production he's giving while costing less.

Richardson has been the best defender on the team this year. Far better than "ok".

15 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Richardson has been the best defender on the team this year. Far better than "ok".

How are you making that judgement?  I don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

How are you making that judgement?  I don't see it.

Leading defensive tackles in pressures, at least through the first few weeks (haven't seen updated stats) is a good start given that's his job.

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Leading defensive tackles in pressures, at least through the first few weeks (haven't seen updated stats) is a good start given that's his job.

He's got to be made a prority before he even hits the open market. Richardson won't be cheap and I'd trust being able to find a different OLB over a penetrating 3T, a position which is more crucial to this defense.

Archived