Payton or Brees?

whodatworm23

With Drew Brees recently becoming the NFL's all time leader in passing yardage and on the verge of joining the 500 touchdown club, intrest in both Sean Payton's style of offense and Drew Brees's impressive career has skyrocketed.

This has lead me to look back on both men's careers, which has led me to ask a very simple question...

Who has benifited more off the other, Payton or Brees???

When you look at the totality of it all its really a hard choice to make. Does Brees ability to benifit from Payton's pass happy scheme, inability to consistantly provide a suitable defense and unparalleled control of the offense Payton allowed Brees override the fact the Payton has benifited from having the most accurate passer in NFL history orchestrating his offense and one of the most well respected high character individuals in football being the leader of his lockerroom?

We all as die hard Saints fans love who Marquis Colston was and what he represented. We all know he was robbed on multipule occassions of a pro-bowl bid which had become more of a popularity contest at one point but the fact that Brees has accomplished what hes accomplished in New Orleans without a Pro-Bowl reciever until Mike Thomas last year is simply beyond impressive. Yes Colston was under appreciated by the national media but think of what players like Devery Henderson, Lance Moore or Willie Snead were before they caught passes from Brees? However at the same time the same can be said they also benifited as much from Sean Payton's offensive mind and his ability to design plays that create mismatches on the field.

I honestly believe this is a very intriguing question to ask and cant wait to read what you guys believe and where you side on this topic...

So which is it?

Who benifited more from the other... Payton or Brees?

WHODAT

Looking from a different perspective.... 

Payton/his staff and decisions have put Brees in really bad spots many times over the years. Bad clock management, bad playcalling, bad staff and player aquisitions, atrocious defense and more often than you'd like.... drama and rumblings from within the organization.

How many times has Brees put Payton in a bad spot? an errant pick or missed throw from time to time similar to Brady, Manning or Rodgers... even all time greats will do that. Its been nothing like the positions he's consistently been asked to bail us out of.

I think the coach always benefits more from the QB then vice versa.  I think that's true with Brady/Belichick and Brees/Payton.  The QB is the one that goes out there and plays the game.  He's the one that has to read the defense, call protections, find the open man, and throw an accurate ball.  The elite QBs do all of this very well, and don't just throw accurate balls, but often throw nearly perfect balls.  When Brees is in the zone, he throws perfect balls one after another all game long.  That's a lot of skill required, and necessary in any system.  There are many starters every year that can't do all of those things well, some of them can't do any of them well.

That being said, Brees does benefit from Payton, offensively and statistically. there's no doubt about it.  It's definitely a synergy.  Same with Brady and Belichick.  But Brees may have been better off with a coach that consistently fielded a better defense, even if his stats dropped because of it.  Everyone values winning, and it's almost impossible to win without a defense that's at least top 15, preferably top ten or top 5.

We did play in a similar system in 2012, but didn't have Payton as our head coach due to the year suspension. During that year without Payton, Brees threw for 5177 yards, and had 44 touchdowns. That would literally be considered a statistical career year for 99% of the QB's to have ever played in NFL history. For Brees it was just another season. In other words, I think Payton has allowed Brees, to live up to his potential, and be in a system that plays to his strengths better than San Diego, but at the end of the day it is Brees that has made this offense go since 2006.

I have to agree with the guys above, Payton has benefited more from Brees. If I vision a different world where these two never came together:

I see Brees ultimately proving that his shoulder was okay and some team giving him a chance. I don't think he would have the same stats but I bet he would still have at least one Superbowl win. In this scenario, Payton doesn't quickly find a QB who can run his offense anywhere near the level that Brees has. He ends his run with the Saints as a mediocre coach and goes back to being an offensive coordinator.

All that said though, we all know this was a match made in heaven for a franchise that desperately needed it. And now 2018 becomes the year of TwoDatxD

Archived