Josh Allen UCL injury

Thelonebillsfan

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/15/bills-josh-allen-ucl-second-opinion-mri

A UCL is no joke, best case is it's a grade 1-2 tear that can be handled with rehab and work. Some pitchers survive it, and he's back throwing within two months. Still effectively ending his rookie year but with minimal effect on next year. Worst case, it's a grade 3 which means he will need immediate Tommy John's and he might miss most of NEXT season as well. Which should terrify us.

Under NO circumstances should get be rushed back. This is a serious injury that could alter his career trajectory if not handled properly.

Good idea to make a thread for this. I'll wait and see what its officially listed as but that's definitely worse news than I was hoping for. 

McDermott and Beane absolutely need to take some responsibility for this, it's on them. The kid has been beaten up every game. 

That being said, if Allen does get Tommy John's surgery can you imagine the arm strength after? Hot damn!

53 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Good idea to make a thread for this. I'll wait and see what its officially listed as but that's definitely worse news than I was hoping for. 

McDermott and Beane absolutely need to take some responsibility for this, it's on them. The kid has been beaten up every game. 

That being said, if Allen does get Tommy John's surgery can you imagine the arm strength after? Hot damn!

I dont agree with the middle comment. It has nothing to do with McDermott or Beane. He was hit late and the helmet hit the elbow. The announcers even made a comment that it should have been flagged. You cannot blame a coach or gm even if he is getting hit based on the oline or him holding the ball to long. Its an accident and hopefully not serious. Even if it is minor it may be safest route to pull the trigger and place him on IR and rehab him slowly to make sure he is fully healthy for next year and not even bother throwing him out there this year to further injury it. Anderson should be the starter this week if he is getting the full reps at practice and quickly learning the playbook with peterman backing him up. Also bring back another tryout in jones and moore to see what works best and sign them, then dump peterman. Sign him to psquad in case one goes down to injury and bring him up as he will know the playbook. I just dont get the full on hate for these guys, you may judge them on not bringing in an olineman or not bringing them a wr but if anyone is to blame it is the pegulas for keeping whaley around and throwing out big contracts at the time they joined. They are correct his mistakes and have no choice but to lose out in a position to upgrade until 2019. Yes it would have been smart for these guys to bring in a qb in free agency at the time rather then mccarron but that is after the fact. All in all these guys are doing a great job by turning a putrid defense in to a top 5 contender with less talent and a 2 year span then what rex ryan had. Along with 90+ mil in cap space and more draft picks. These guys should be judged 4-5 years not year 2.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont agree with the middle comment. It has nothing to do with McDermott or Beane. He was hit late and the helmet hit the elbow. The announcers even made a comment that it should have been flagged. You cannot blame a coach or gm even if he is getting hit based on the oline or him holding the ball to long. Its an accident and hopefully not serious. Even if it is minor it may be safest route to pull the trigger and place him on IR and rehab him slowly to make sure he is fully healthy for next year and not even bother throwing him out there this year to further injury it. Anderson should be the starter this week if he is getting the full reps at practice and quickly learning the playbook with peterman backing him up. Also bring back another tryout in jones and moore to see what works best and sign them, then dump peterman. Sign him to psquad in case one goes down to injury and bring him up as he will know the playbook. I just dont get the full on hate for these guys, you may judge them on not bringing in an olineman or not bringing them a wr but if anyone is to blame it is the pegulas for keeping whaley around and throwing out big contracts at the time they joined. They are correct his mistakes and have no choice but to lose out in a position to upgrade until 2019. Yes it would have been smart for these guys to bring in a qb in free agency at the time rather then mccarron but that is after the fact. All in all these guys are doing a great job by turning a putrid defense in to a top 5 contender with less talent and a 2 year span then what rex ryan had. Along with 90+ mil in cap space and more draft picks. These guys should be judged 4-5 years not year 2.

They cant be blamed for the exact hit but theyve let Josh get battered all season long and it's because they ignored the offensive line.

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

They cant be blamed for the exact hit but theyve let Josh get battered all season long and it's because they ignored the offensive line.

So many qbs have that same situation and when your limited with funds and draft picks there is nothing you can do. We all knew whoever was going to be qb was going to get hit. Its an unfortunate accident and I refuse to blame the coaching staff nor beane for this. There are far to many limitations they had and when you lose your center after extending him that hurts not to mention Incognito going awol less than 2 weeks before the draft and with all of the good guards in free agency already signed to new teams. Hopefully at this point they rest him and have Anderson get the snaps moving forward and bring in a back up. I like what Allen has shown some ups and downs but atleast there is film on him and he can go in to the offseason working on his issues and hopefully with a better oline and receiving corps he can come in strong year 2. This injury may be a blessing in disguise but you got to move on for now. I think with a capable QB and a solid def they will be competitive moving forward. I would like to see them try and grab one of the available WRs for this year and long term through trade. Rumors of Amari Cooper, Demaryius Thomas, and Julio being available may be something can be done.

Really we should have done what the Jets did and pick up two vet QB's on one or two year deals. I'd have brought in someone like Geno Smith as well as AJ just to make sure we had stable depth at the position, or brought in Anderson from the beginning to have him be our McCown because by all accounts despite not being a great QB, he's a wonderful mentor and was a tremendous boon for Cam.

41 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

We dodged a massive bullet here. Reports are saying 2-3 weeks. I say shut him down for the year. 

McBeane makes moves that are either brilliant or stupid asf. Trading McCarron and not addressing the OL were plain dumb moves and not just in hindsight.

McCarron is hot garbage. That was Beane's mistake signing him and he tried correcting it by getting a pick out of it. The one thing I am upset about is the not signing of a veteran qb this entire offseason. You knew you were taking a rookie qb in the draft and gaining experience by learning from guys who actually played at the position for a full season would have been the right move over taking 2 guys with little to no experience hoping they would be the starter for the year. Both flopped and built this disaster. If allen had a guy like Anderson around from the beginning maybe he would be ahead of the curve more so then he is now. Unfortunately nothing can be done about the past so hopefully Derek can look promising this week and stick around to help allen develop like Mccown is doing for Darnold. 

Archived