Trade Possibilities

Rgossett07

Just heard Trent Dilfer say on a radio show he thinks Raiders move Derek Carr this week now that they have cleared cap with Amari Cooper trade. They can eat a lot of his dead money this year. 

Knowing Miami is 90% sure they will be moving on from Tannehill, and the QB draft class isn’t great this year, what package would you give up for Carr?  

I think Carr would be an excellent fit for you guys. Gase is an offensive genius and Carr is a much better QB than Ryan Tannehil. Carr has no line and no weapons this year. In 2016 he was 3rd in MVP voting with a great line and solid weapons. You really have to build a great offense around him though. He’s not gonna elevate a bunch of average players like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc. He needs a great offensive line, his one downfall. With that line though, and Adam Gase, feel he can tear up the league again. 

Looking forward to doing business gentlemen. We are in full rebuild, no point in keeping Carrs contract when this is gonna take a while and we are in complete tank mode for a couple years. 

This won't happen not because of Carr, but because of how the Dolphins are operating. This is a come to Jesus year for our team. Half of the front office still feels that Tannehill is going to come back and save the season. They don't want to rebuild, and I have a feeling that if we end up where most are predicting, 7-9, there are going to be some changes in the front office. Gase has be stuck with Tannehill since he got here, and the rumors are that he wants his own QB. Carr doesn't really fit that mentality. A team needs to be in a win now mode to make a big trade at the deadline, and we aren't there yet. We can't beat New England, so no matter what we do, there isn't a path to the playoffs for us. We have to just ride out this season and hope that we finally trade away our draft and get a QB.

Carr’s Contract is actually very friendly after this season. Everyone sees the $100m. Only look at the $40m guaranteed. That will basically be paid after this season. 

Given the 2019 QB class is awful, why not trade for Carr ($19m against the cap next season). He will have a team around him in 2019. If it doesnt work out, more than likely that means you’ll be in position to take a QB in 2020 (Fromm). You would be able to release Carr after 2019 with very little penalty. 

I think a young player and a second could get him.  I’d be fine sending Charles Harris (2019 Draft  is loaded with DL talent) and a second.  

I actually ghink Carr would crush it in Gase offense. What does Miami have to lose?

2 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

This won't happen not because of Carr, but because of how the Dolphins are operating. This is a come to Jesus year for our team. Half of the front office still feels that Tannehill is going to come back and save the season. They don't want to rebuild, and I have a feeling that if we end up where most are predicting, 7-9, there are going to be some changes in the front office. Gase has be stuck with Tannehill since he got here, and the rumors are that he wants his own QB. Carr doesn't really fit that mentality. A team needs to be in a win now mode to make a big trade at the deadline, and we aren't there yet. We can't beat New England, so no matter what we do, there isn't a path to the playoffs for us. We have to just ride out this season and hope that we finally trade away our draft and get a QB.

There are no QBs worth it this year. None. 

I think there are QBs in the 2019 draft that are worth taking in the top 10 picks, especially if Hebert declares.  That being said I would easily trade a second round pick and a player for Carr and his $40+ Mil garauntee.  I would even consider a trade of our 2019 first round pick for Carr and your 2019 3rd round pick.  Carr is a younger player than Tannehill but still has 5 years of experience in the NFL and has had some success.  I also believe that Carr would do well in Adam Gase system.  Carr would be an upgrade over Tannehill with his improvement being in ball placement and pocket presence and also in his voice inflection on hard counts.

I would love to draft a QB upgrade in 2019, but we would likely have to give up a 2020 first round pick and possibly a 2019 2nd or 3rd rounder just to swap our 2019 1st round pick with a team picking in the top 5 and maybe even within the top 3.  That means it’s unlikely we land a top tier QB in the 2019 draft.  If we could trade a 2nd and a player then that would still give us our 1st rounder to grab a DLineman, OLineman, WR, or CB.

I would trade a 2nd and Charles Harris or Devante Parker for Derek Carr in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

I'd take Patrick Peterson, but that's about it. 

No QB needed. 

I would also trade for Peterson........but I disagree that no QB is needed.  QB is our biggest position of need, just like 10 other NFL teams.  The fastest way to improve an NFL team is to improve at the QB position........that one position can turn around a franchise in just 1 to 2 seasons......and our franchise needs a QB upgrade like a hog needs slop.

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

No thanks.  I think Carr is damaged goods mentally, just like his brother was.  I wouldn't sign him for 4 years, $100 million if he was a FA, nevertheless actually trade something of value to take on that contract.

I don’t see Carr as damaged goods.  Just a good player that is in a brand new system this season, and still isn’t playing badly........I would say Carr is playing average for the position and the only thing stats wise that looks bad is his 7 TD to 8 INT ratio.

On the other hand, Tannehill definitely hasn’t looked like his 2016 version this season.  Maybe it was his shoulder and maybe it was his knee but he has looked very slow to get the ball out on several plays.

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think Carr would be an excellent fit for you guys. Gase is an offensive genius and Carr is a much better QB than Ryan Tannehil. Carr has no line and no weapons this year. In 2016 he was 3rd in MVP voting with a great line and solid weapons. You really have to build a great offense around him though. He’s not gonna elevate a bunch of average players like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc. He needs a great offensive line, his one downfall. With that line though, and Adam Gase, feel he can tear up the league again. 

Looking forward to doing business gentlemen. We are in full rebuild, no point in keeping Carrs contract when this is gonna take a while and we are in complete tank mode for a couple years. 

If I had any say so, Carr would be wearing Aqua and Orange by the end of the week. I would easily give a 2nd round pick and a player, or even a 2019 2nd and a 5th rounder knowing that Gruden is likely more interested in picks than a player.

Another QB trade I would love to see happen is for us to workout something with Bridgewater and the Saints before the trade deadline.  I would like to see us push Devante Parker and David Fales plus a 2019 3rd round pick and even a 2020 6th round pick to sweeten the pot if necessary.  Parker is a talented player that could be great with a change of scenery and with Bridgewater gone the Saints will need something behind Brees in case of injury, enter Fales.

What’s in it for us?  A very solid young but experienced potential NFL QB, that might be enough to excite Dolfans about the future.  Why would Bridgewater consider working out a multi year contract to play for Miami?  Because it’s his home town where he once played High School and College Football, and there are no state income taxes to chip away at his annual income.

We could be set at the QB position with Bridgewater starting and Osweiler as an experienced backup in 2019, and it would still be cheaper than Tannehill. We need to make this happen before the Jaguars beat us to it.

Archived