NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, FinneasGage said:

this draft looking strong in the 10-20 area? 

Tyus Battle could be a nice pick up for a team in that range. 6'6 205lbs attacks the rim well, but an inconsistent shooter. Plays zone at Syracuse, but looks like he can translate to a decent defender in the NBA.  His ceiling is George Hill and floor is Jerian Grant maybe?

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Tyus Battle could be a nice pick up for a team in that range. 6'6 205lbs attacks the rim well, but an inconsistent shooter. Plays zone at Syracuse, but looks like he can translate to a decent defender in the NBA.  His ceiling is George Hill and floor is Jerian Grant maybe?

He's not going in the 1st round.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

No worse than Kyrie, Lillard or Harden. 

All 3 of those guys are elite offensive players and elite shooters though. Can Ja be a great scorer in the league to mask that poor defense with his perimeter shooting? Turnovers also concern me, he’s only the 2nd guy in recent history to average 5+ TO and get drafted.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

All 3 of those guys are elite offensive players and elite shooters though. Can Ja be a great scorer in the league to mask that poor defense with his perimeter shooting? Turnovers also concern me, he’s only the 2nd guy in recent history to average 5+ TO and get drafted.

He'll be fine. Dude gets triple teamed because Murray State has nobody else so the TOs are massively overblown. He's not sloppy or reckless with the ball. If anything, seeing triple teams on a nightly basis will help him in the long run. 

Also, I wouldnt say Lillard and Harden are elite shooters more than they are elite offensive players. They get theirs much in a way Ja gets his. They are better from deep, most certainly, but Ja's got elite offensive upside due to how many ways he can score. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Turnovers also concern me, he’s only the 2nd guy in recent history to average 5+ TO and get drafted.

I think he might be the only player to get drafted since '92 (sports reference only goes back that far) who averaged 10 assists per game to get drafted. He still has over a 2:1 assist:TO ratio. Trae last year was way under a 2:1 ratio.

He gets lazy in the zone but he is fine in man to man. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

He'll be fine. Dude gets triple teamed because Murray State has nobody else so the TOs are massively overblown. He's not sloppy or reckless with the ball. If anything, seeing triple teams on a nightly basis will help him in the long run. 

Also, I wouldnt say Lillard and Harden are elite shooters more than they are elite offensive players. They get theirs much in a way Ja gets his. They are better from deep, most certainly, but Ja's got elite offensive upside due to how many ways he can score. 

I like Ja Morant as a prospect but there are definitely some red-flags with him. 

1. Defense: He looks pretty terrible on defense against one of the softest schedules in college basketball this year. He's getting beat by guards that won't even sniff the league on a regular basis. I think it's somewhat overblown because he has to carry such a big offensive load for them, but if this year has been any indication, he's going to be a defensive liability at the next level. 

2. Shooting: He's a streaky shooter from the college 3 point line and likely won't be much of a shooter early in his career. How will he be able to effectively get his early on without a consistent 3 point shot? 

3. Decision making: He's 2nd in the NCAA in TO's and 1st in TO%, he'll be only he 2nd player drafted in the first round that averaged 5+ TO per game in the year he got drafted. Murray State has played one of the worst schedules in the country this year and he has had problems taking care of the ball against them, how will that translate to the next level? 

Archived