NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

The thing about Zion is that he plays really smart as well. Kids in the right place for steals, blocks, or easy looks. That combined with his athleticism and hustle means you are essentially guaranteed a good player.

Even if he never improves from today, hes still worth a top 5 pick. If he improves a little he's an all star. If he improves a lot hes a potential super star. Kids got tons of tools.

He doesn't need the ball to have an impact on the game, that's what makes him special. He put up 18 points on 6-8 FG yesterday but also had 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, and 3 steals. 

On 2/9/2019 at 5:52 AM, Ozzy said:

Zion has been playing out of his mind recently.  Gets freaking steals and takes it the length for a throw down, has amazing blocks, takes guys off the bounce from the three point line and attacks the rim, gives outstanding effort and drops in a few shots now and again.  Originally yeah I thought he was just an elite athlete and dunker but he is clearly more than just that.  He is a super elite prospect sure but again the competition he has in college hurts.  Even against Virginia today, I do not view this as a big time matchup against big time prospects because all the elite prospects are on one team.  Maybe Virginia will put up a fight but really they have no shot against Duke with the matchups that are there, especially with Jones back at PG.  Ty Jerome I like as a PG though but even with him he will not be some super star in the NBA. Still waiting for UNC but even with them Little might still be no match for Zion either and the rest on UNC are not amazing players in terms of the next level, maybe White but not quite sold on him yet. 

College basketball is a different game than the NBA. Which is why you see teams like Virginia with very few pro prospects dominate. If you're going to knock Zion for playing college competition you have to knock every other prospect as well. BTW, DeAndre Hunter from UVA will be a top 10 pick in the draft this year. 

8 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Never going to happen but how great would it be if guys like Reddish, Little and Hayes went back to school for another year.

All 3 of those guys will benefit from the spacing and pace in the NBA. Little needs to bounce out of UNC as quickly as possible too.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

I was exaggerating lol. But McHale probably wouldn't be so awesome playing today anyways. 

Maybe not as effective just because of modern NBA landscape that emphasizes 3s, but I think legends like McHale are going to be great in any era you stick them in. Insane length and all time great back to basket skillset, someone would find a way to maximize that talent and if they couldn't shame on them.

Difference between Happ and McHale, and why one is a HOFer while the other might struggle to stick in the NBA, is Happ's complete lack of a jump shot. McHale had great touch, money from the FT line and a respectable mid range. Happ is afraid to shoot outside of 8 feet and is a 50% FT shooter. It's a shame, since he really is special on the block, but that alone is not enough to get him in an NBA rotation. He is athletic enough that he could become a nice defender, in which case he could become a solid role player, but he'll never be near what he could be if he had just average skills elsewhere on offense. I have my doubts he'll ever be able to improve as a shooter, as he's actually gotten worse every year since high school at shooting. Sad to see. 

In this modern NBA, McHale with the right team would explode. McHale on the Spurs (like Aldridge) who can play for a coach who isn't afraid of posting up a player (almost a forgotten skill) while being surrounded by shooters, would destroy. He was unlaudable. McHale's only weakness was he didn't like to pass out of the post. Something Popp would have to work with him one. McHale could also face up when necessary and allow his teammates a free lane.

for the youngsters

Edited by resilient part 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He's an amazing player. It reminds me of the Markelle Fultz situation a few years ago. Edwards will get his, not sure how much winning they'll do next year though.

Should be a tournament team. Hammonds and Claxton are damn good players down low. Crump and Hightower are ok wing players, and hopefully at least one of the 4* guys coming in will have some kind of impact. The problem will probably be the same as it is this year. There is not a single player on the team that can play point. 

34 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Should be a tournament team. Hammonds and Claxton are damn good players down low. Crump and Hightower are ok wing players, and hopefully at least one of the 4* guys coming in will have some kind of impact. The problem will probably be the same as it is this year. There is not a single player on the team that can play point. 

You guys are a 10-13 team this year and ranked 119 in KenPom. You have a very good recruiting class coming in though, so you might be able to sneak into the tournament. Anthony Edwards will play point guard for you guys. 

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You guys are a 10-13 team this year and ranked 119 in KenPom. You have a very good recruiting class coming in though, so you might be able to sneak into the tournament. Anthony Edwards will play point guard for you guys. 

Its going to be who will step up after the top three guys. nbadraft.net has Claxton as a 1st rounder right now and Hammonds as a high 2nd. Those three should be able to go against any other top three in the conference. Its going to be who steps up after them, and hopefully year two of the Crean system will help as well. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, NYRaider said:

College basketball is a different game than the NBA. Which is why you see teams like Virginia with very few pro prospects dominate. If you're going to knock Zion for playing college competition you have to knock every other prospect as well. BTW, DeAndre Hunter from UVA will be a top 10 pick in the draft this year. 

DeAndre Hunter maybe a top 10 pick, that does not mean he is a great player or something and will be a NBA Super Star.  Marquese Chriss, Frank Kaminsky, Stanley Johnson, Nik Stauskas and Thomas Robinson were all top 10 picks.  And yeah I would knock other super elite college prospects as well because it is only college basketball if they are really playing that great.  The disconnect between college talent and NBA talent is one of the biggest in any professional sport.  Would love to see Gonzaga play Duke again though, arguably they are the only team that might have a shot against them, that or Tennessee.  Still Duke might be one of the biggest odds on favorites to win the tournament in what 10 years or more, talk about win or bust.  

On 2/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, NYRaider said:

All 3 of those guys will benefit from the spacing and pace in the NBA. Little needs to bounce out of UNC as quickly as possible too.

Little will be gone no doubt, but to say Roy Williams and UNC stunts players development if that is what you mean.  Well yes UNC has few elite level players in the NBA currently, but only reason Duke does is that coach K coached the USA team and top level players go there because he is a great coach but they think he will prep them for the NBA.  I would argue they are great before they got to Duke and would be great if they never went to Duke also, sure going there helps their brand and how much they are on TV but no way Zion struggles if he goes somewhere else to college.   But like Kentucky a few years back he is just the next one in line it seems, Kentucky used to get most of the top guys now it is almost always Duke.  Surprising I thought that was a top 5 academic college in America, so all these top players are that smart?  Maybe I guess...

Roy Williams maximizes players talent and develops them extremely well, and wins despite not having super star NBA talent like Duke. Good example Brice Johnson, Luke Maye, Marcus Paige, Sean May etc.  Sure none become great NBA players but Roy got the absolute best out of all of them each time and won titles with them as well.  Could argue the only one and done type talent that have went to North Carolina in the past 18-20 years has been Marvin Williams.  And Roy Williams has three National Titles in 14 years or so, and without having super elite talent he is doing something correct, but sure he does not produce super elite NBA players but at least gets the absolute most out of what the brings in.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

DeAndre Hunter maybe a top 10 pick, that does not mean he is a great player or something and will be a NBA Super Star.  Marquese Chriss, Frank Kaminsky, Stanley Johnson, Nik Stauskas and Thomas Robinson were all top 10 picks.  

Your logic is terrible, you consistently use other places failures to validate your point when it proves nothing.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Your logic is terrible, you consistently use other places failures to validate your point when it proves nothing.

You get back to me when DeAndre Hunter is on an NBA All Star team, might be awhile.  Malcolm Brogdon was a better defender.