NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

39 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

His hype faded to “meh first overall” after his season with Kansas.

A lot of people still thought he was going to be an elite player in the league. He's one of the most physically gifted players in the league, he just hasn't put the work in to get better.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i asked a fairly simple question of who else has could match zions skillset and none of the guys you listed do, all of them fall short in one or two areas so while even list them?

@ozzy for the record, this wasnt a rhetorical question. I asked who had the same traits  as zion in the past and yiou listed a bunch of guys who didnt have all the one he does. What was the reasoning behind that.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

@ozzy for the record, this wasnt a rhetorical question. I asked who had the same traits  as zion in the past and yiou listed a bunch of guys who didnt have all the one he does. What was the reasoning behind that.

We've never seen anyone like Zion, at least not in recent memory. For some, that's what entices them into thinking he is the next big thing. For others, that's what scares them and why they do not trust him at the next level. There's been similar players, but definitely nobody like Zion.

Also, I think the "anti-Zion" crowd at this point is just people who don't think he's gonna be the next Lebron, not people who are against taking him with a top 3 pick.. right? I mean even if you're terrified of his height, convinced he will struggle with weight, don't think the skill set he is using to dominate CBB will translate etc., who the hell (besides RJ or Ja) would you take over him? Worst case scenario you still have one of the heaviest AND best athletes in basketball, there's really no bust potential (outside of injury, but that goes for anyone).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

We've never seen anyone like Zion, at least not in recent memory. For some, that's what entices them into thinking he is the next big thing. For others, that's what scares them and why they do not trust him at the next level. There's been similar players, but definitely nobody like Zion.

Isn't that kind of what makes him a generational talent? Being a special talent and unlike anyone, we've seen in recent memory? We'd never really seen a 6'11" 190 kid play like Kevin Durant. Or a 6'10" guy with elite athleticism and true PG skills like Ben Simmons. When you look at the guys that have been considered special prospects, it was largely in part to the fact that they were such unique players. 

Percentage wise, he didn't shoot well tonight, but the difference between February Cam Reddish and December/January Cam Reddish has been night and day.

He's been playing so much more confident and has been lights out defensively. He also isn't turning it over everytime he drives like he was before. Looking every bit like the top 5 pick he was hyped up to be entering the season.

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Also, I think the "anti-Zion" crowd at this point is just people who don't think he's gonna be the next Lebron, not people who are against taking him with a top 3 pick.. right? I mean even if you're terrified of his height, convinced he will struggle with weight, don't think the skill set he is using to dominate CBB will translate etc., who the hell (besides RJ or Ja) would you take over him? Worst case scenario you still have one of the heaviest AND best athletes in basketball, there's really no bust potential (outside of injury, but that goes for anyone).

i think the two closest guys are simmons and lebron. Which was my point, granted its not a big sample size, but its seems like his floor is a guys whose going to be able to get to the rim almost at will.maybe his shot develops, maybe it doesnt... but if he can drive and score like simmons and young lebron then thats already a really, really good base.

9 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah, I'm on board with Zion being a good player and should definitely be a top 3 pick. I just don't think he'll end up being an elite, top 5 player in the NBA.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, I'm on board with Zion being a good player and should definitely be a top 3 pick. I just don't think he'll end up being an elite, top 5 player in the NBA.

He should definitely be the #1 pick, who else are you going to take? Not sure he'll ever be an elite top 5 player, but he'll rejuvenate a franchise and should be an All-Star caliber guy for the next 10-12 years. 

10 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Percentage wise, he didn't shoot well tonight, but the difference between February Cam Reddish and December/January Cam Reddish has been night and day.

He's been playing so much more confident and has been lights out defensively. He also isn't turning it over everytime he drives like he was before. Looking every bit like the top 5 pick he was hyped up to be entering the season.

Yeah, Reddish is starting to play well and will likely be the 4th guy off the board after Zion, Ja, and RJ. 

NYRaider's Mock Draft v 1.0

1. New York: Zion Williamson | F | Duke

2. Phoenix: Ja Morant | PG | Murray State

3. Cleveland: RJ Barrett | GF | Duke

4. Atlanta: Cam Reddish | GF | Duke

5. Chicago: Darius Garland | PG | Vanderbilt 

6. Memphis: Jarrett Culver | SG | Texas Tech

7. Washington: Nas Little | F | North Carolina

8. Orlando: Kevin Porter Jr | SG | USC

9. Minnesota: Keldon Johnson | GF | Kentucky

10. Atlanta: Bol Bol | C | Oregon 

11. New Orleans: Jaxson Hayes | C | Texas

12. Miami: Sekou Doumbouya | F | Limoges 

13. LA Lakers: DeAndre Hunter | GF | Virginia 

14. Detroit: Romeo Langford | GF | Indiana 

15. Boston: Rui Hachimura | F | Gonzaga

16. Charlotte: Jontay Porter | FC | Missouri 

17. Brooklyn: Brandon Clarke | F | Gonzaga

18. Boston: Coby White | CG | North Carolina

19. San Antonio: Daniel Gafford | C | Arkansas

20. Portland: KZ Okpala | F | Stanford

21. Cleveland: Charles Bassey | C | Western Kentucky

22. Utah: Grant Williams | PF | Tennessee 

23. Oklahoma City: Nickeil Alexander-Walker | G | Virginia Tech

24. Boston: Goga Bitadze | C | Mega Bemax 

25. Philadelphia: Tyler Herro | SG | Kentucky

26. Indiana: Luguentz Dort | SG | Arizona State

27. Brooklyn: Admiral Schofield | F | Tennessee

28. San Antonio: Josh Obiesie | SG | Wurzburg 

29. Golden State: Bruno Fernando | C | Maryland

30. Milwaukee: Marckus Howard | PG | Marquette

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He should definitely be the #1 pick, who else are you going to take? Not sure he'll ever be an elite top 5 player, but he'll rejuvenate a franchise and should be an All-Star caliber guy for the next 10-12 years. 

It would depend. Most teams should definitely take Zion first, but I wouldn't think it'd be some huge mistake if Phoenix or Orlando were to take Ja. Top 3 was conservative I admit, almost every team would and should take Zion at #1.

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It would depend. Most teams should definitely take Zion first, but I wouldn't think it'd be some huge mistake if Phoenix or Orlando were to take Ja. Top 3 was conservative I admit, almost every team would and should take Zion at #1.

Regardless of who gets the first pick, they're going to take Zion. His off the court impact will be huge and he'll give the fans a reason to be excited about their team. Ja is a good prospect but over Zion? No way. His shooting is a huge question mark and he's averaging 5 TO per game playing against one of the worst schedules in college basketball. IIRC, he'll be only the second player in the history of the draft to average 5+ TO per game and get selected in the first round.

I’d say Zion is generational 

his size and athleticism is unlike anything we’ve seen. Dude is built like a rock as a freshman and and jump out the gym but is also graceful around the rim. 

But the best part is he’s a team player. 

Hes the best prospect since Embiid and with no injury since AD