NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

22 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He should stay, gun for an AA season, and have a chance to threaten lotto range, but Tyler Herro will probably leave and be a 1st rounder. Good size and excellent length for a SG, probably right around average in terms of athleticism, and of course has that beautiful stroke. Versatile 3 and D man is coveted and that's what Herro can be. He's not actually great 3 pt shooter or defender yet, but his shooting form and tenacity make you think/hope he'll be both. 

He has been inconsistent and not as productive as he should be given he is in a very optimal situation, which is why he should return, play to his potential, and maximize draft status, but he probably gets shoved out the door by Cal if he gets late 1st round feedback which I think he will since it is a very weak class after the top 7 or so IMO, or at least there's not much separation after that.

Herro is an okay prospect but he looks like a multi-year college player. 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, NYRaider said:

Herro is an okay prospect but he looks like a multi-year college player. 

Yeah honestly he is, I think I am just trying to prepare myself for a potential shock of him leaving after seeing so many borderline guys leave early in Cal era.

Is Nick Ward from MSU on the NBA's radar? Continues to be very productive and insanely efficient big but still no jump shot and not a particularly impressive physical profile. Made no improvements to his game as far as I can tell which is disappointing.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, NYRaider said:

Your hate for Zion Williamson is incredible. 

Your boner is much worse, trust me. There was nothing impressive about that performance. It was dunks (shocking) and steals. Cool. Call me when he hits consistent jumpers and actually initiates the offense. You can be in awe of his physical traits all you want. He's got a long way to go if he wants to be anything more than just hype in the NBA. 

Edited by beekay414

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Your boner is much worse, trust me. There was nothing impressive about that performance. It was dunks (shocking) and steals. Cool. Call me when he hits consistent jumpers and actually initiates the offense. You can be in awe of his physical traits all you want. He's got a long way to go if he wants to be anything more than just hype in the NBA. 

You’re in denial or you simply don’t watch him if you think he’s just a dunker. He’s an amazing player and he’s actually shooting the call pretty well recently. One of the NBA announcers called the Duke game tonight and LOVES Zion. How great of a shooter / offense initiator was Giannis at 18 years old???

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

You’re in denial or you simply don’t watch him if you think he’s just a dunker. He’s an amazing player and he’s actually shooting the call pretty well recently. One of the NBA announcers called the Duke game tonight and LOVES Zion. How great of a shooter / offense initiator was Giannis at 18 years old???

I'm not whatsoever. I'm just not keen on slobbing the knob of a kid that jumps high and screams loud. He's one hell of an athlete, no question. However, like I literally just said, he has a long way to go, as far as becoming an impact NBA player, and that's more than fine to say. He's not a perfect prospect and he's not as skilled offensively as you think he is. He'll be an impact defender solely based on his athleticism and size but the offensive end he's still got growing to do skills wise. Acting like he's a generational flawless prospect is beyond irresponsible. He's not. He's a once in a generation athlete, not basketball player. So let's stop that **** right now.

And I don't give two ****s about some NBA announcer liking him so I don't see the point of referencing that crap. 

EDIT - And I'm not responding to anything else about Zion. Dead serious. You can call it "hate" or whatever you want. I call it being unbiased in evaluations. Zion isn't a perfect nor generational basketball prospect. He's got a lot to work on yet and I can all but guarantee you that he'll have a rough rookie season. He's not going to be able to get away with a lot of the stuff he's gotten away with in HS and college. I'll just leave it at that. Great athlete, unpolished basketball player. Any GM would take the chance on molding him over any prospect in the draft due to the physical tools but he's got work to do. The sooner you realize this, the better off you'll be. Kid is not LeBron James nor is he even Carmelo Anthony as a prospect. You'll find out soon enough.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Just now, FinneasGage said:

i typed like 3 responses to this before deleting each of them out of fear of getting perma-banned lol 

lol I'm just over this Zion crap. He's the same player he was when he was 16. It's been talked about to death on this site by one bleeding heart Dookie who has been banned multiple times from this site. It's like clockwork. 

I have yet to see anything that screams generational basketball talent. He's a generational athlete, I've never denied that. Just beyond tired of talking about a dude that has a nice highlight reel. He's overhyped and has a ton of areas to still address as a basketball player. One dude in here talking about him like he's on LeBron James or even Kevin Durant's level as a prospect is legit lolworthy to me. I'm just done with this. 

If anyone has any other prospects they want to discuss, I'm all ears.

I'll just throw my 2 cents regarding Zion and then I'll leave it alone(I'm know he'll be discussed ad neuseam during draft season). Fair warning but this will be a bit of a long post

I say the following as a Duke fan and a huge Zion fan. He may already be my favorite Blue Devil ever. However, the coverage and hype around him has become too much even for my liking . You have Dickie V slobbin' over him in every game he calls, Scottie Pippen saying he's the best prospect since Jordan, ESPN highlighting just about every single thing he does, and the list goes on and on. It's like they're setting him and fans up for disappointment. It feels like if he doesn't come in and average 20/5/5 as a rookie and immediately turn a franchise around, he'll be considered a bust/disappointment. The great thing is Zion deals with this massive hype and expectations as well as any player his age can.

And even with the overbearing hype, he's having as good a college season as we've seen in a long, long time. His raw stats are hella impressive, his advanced stats are absurd and even his synergy stats are out of this world....

Add that to his highlight reel playstyle(he's also more skill than I think he gets credit for), his unique build and a pretty chrismastic personality and I get the hype. I just thinking he's the next Lebron and thinking he'll turn around a franchise in day 1 is setting him up for failure. 

So the TL:DR version-I believe Zion is one of the best prospects we've seen in the last 10-15 years. However the hype at times is too much and filled with hyperbole, which is setting him up for what would be failure/disappointment in the eyes of many.

Edited by TitanSlim

The same things were said before he came to college. “He played weak HS competiton and will struggle against college athletes.” He ranks in the top 90th percentile in 15 statistically categories and he’s not a generational talent? Literally the only thing that he struggles with right now is shooting from the perimeter. Elite post game, elite in transition, elite on ball defender, elite shot blocker, and the best athlete to ever enter the draft. BK clearly doesn’t watch Zion or Duke. And he also acts like Zion is at his full potential. Dude is putting up 25 ppg on almost 80% FG in ACC play. Giannis was cheeks as a rookie and couldn’t shoot worth a lick.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol I'm just over this Zion crap. He's the same player he was when he was 16. It's been talked about to death on this site by one bleeding heart Dookie who has been banned multiple times from this site. It's like clockwork. 

I have yet to see anything that screams generational basketball talent. He's a generational athlete, I've never denied that. Just beyond tired of talking about a dude that has a nice highlight reel. He's overhyped and has a ton of areas to still address as a basketball player. One dude in here talking about him like he's on LeBron James or even Kevin Durant's level as a prospect is legit lolworthy to me. I'm just done with this. 

If anyone has any other prospects they want to discuss, I'm all ears.

I'm not even a huge Zion guy, I don't even think I've discussed him on this site really, but what separates him from a young Lebron? Serious question. Seems like they're both freak athletes who relied on attacking and finishing at the rim. 

49 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm not even a huge Zion guy, I don't even think I've discussed him on this site really, but what separates him from a young Lebron? Serious question. Seems like they're both freak athletes who relied on attacking and finishing at the rim. 

I'm no scout but I'd say the main difference is Lebron had elite passing skills/vision as a prospect. Zion is a pretty good passer but he's far below Lebron in that aspect. Also, I believe Lebron was a slightly better shooter than Zion at this stage.

I'd say Lebron was more built in the mold of huge guard as a prospect(freakish Magic Johnson), while Zion is more built in the mold of undersize 4/new age small ball 4(freakish Charles Barkley/Larry Johnson).

Edited by TitanSlim