NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agreed, he can become good enough of a passer. But most of these PGs coming out now a days struggle because they can't shoot. Garland can flat out stroke it and has a nice handle. Dude is legit. Now, Knicks may not even need him if Kyrie is coming to town, but he needs to be in the top 4 conversation for sure. 

If Lakers get him plus a big that can shoot and someone like Butler? That's super legit. 

How can you say any of this based on a 4 game sample size? He had more turnovers than assists against absolute crap competition. 

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I've really started to watch a lot of RJ Barrett and I'm really starting to not like what I see. Dude literally wont use his right hand for the most part and can't create a shot off the dribble because of his poor handles and slow shot.

6'7" wings with his playmaking ability aren't that common. Duke was one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA and had terrible spacing last year, he's going to benefit a lot playing in an NBA offense, just like Tatum did. Tatum had a lot of haters coming out of Duke and didn't shoot the ball very well either, a lot changes when you're in the league. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I'm with you on this one, but if you're wondering why there isn't a consensus on him it's because there isn't a big enough sample size.  You like him, but look at who he played against in college.  Other than their game against USC, he played against some miserable competition.  Anyone could look good against Winthrop, Alcorn State, and Liberty.  It's like looking at a player who sat out the year and going almost purely by his high school tape.

Sure, but to me it is how he was getting his points and how he was able to run the high pick and roll. He has traits that will translate to the next level. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

How can you say any of this based on a 4 game sample size? He had more turnovers than assists against absolute crap competition. 

people can't have it both ways. they use 'sample size' to discredit his incredible scoring #s but then use his assists/TO ratio as if it is the same exact sample size

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How can I say he has a nice jump shot and handle? Or how can I say he can become a good enough passer? 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And? If he can play, he can play. Do you think the skill set he displayed in limited time wasn't legit or something? Do you doubt his jumper or handle? 

If I'm an NBA GM I'm taking Coby White over Darius Garland every single day of the week. Garland is an okay prospect but he's more of an undersized 2 guard than a true lead guard. Had he played the whole season he'd be a mid-first round pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why is Garland not getting any top 3 love? A PG with a nice handle and jump shot? Like I know he only played four or five games, but what is the knock on him? 

Because he's a rail thin, underwhelming athlete with a short track record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

no defense and isn't a good passer. small. is what the say.

but he has the same wingspan as coby white who everyone says is big for the position. has shown some good passing instincts imo. and one way to get better at passing is getting a lot of attention because how good of a shooter you are. 

He's big in that he's built up in the body, not big as in long. White's a Mac truck compared to Garland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If I'm an NBA GM I'm taking Coby White over Darius Garland every single day of the week. Garland is an okay prospect but he's more of an undersized 2 guard than a true lead guard. Had he played the whole season he'd be a mid-first round pick. 

Garland isn't even in White's league as a complete player. LIS before, anyone who takes Garland over White is going to regret it.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I haven't seen much of White so I can't comment on him being better. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Because he's a rail thin, underwhelming athlete with a short track record.

Fair point on his thin frame. But he looks long enough to me. Underwhelming athlete? Maybe, but his handle should able to get him to his spots and he should be crafty enough to overcome it. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How can I say he has a nice jump shot and handle? Or how can I say he can become a good enough passer? 

He's pretty skilled but as @beekay414 he's tiny, a below average athlete for the position, and struggled to create for others in the small sample size that we have. 

Seriously, what are White's knocks? That he's a below the rim type finisher? That's not going to be a problem with his size (bulk), shooting and the spacing in the NBA. He's a primary ballhandler but he's more of the lead scoring type than a facilitator. He can score at all three levels on the floor in a variety of ways. He's good off the pull up from deep and he's even more money on catch and shoots. He can play off the ball as well (dude worked really well with Seventh Woods FFS). He can defend both guard spots and some smaller 3s. There's a ton to like about Coby White and, for me, he's the clear cut 4th best prospect in this class.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

6'7" wings with his playmaking ability aren't that common. Duke was one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA and had terrible spacing last year, he's going to benefit a lot playing in an NBA offense, just like Tatum did. Tatum had a lot of haters coming out of Duke and didn't shoot the ball very well either, a lot changes when you're in the league. 

I stood next to RJ at a HS game and at that time was about 6'4 at best. I was hoping to see his exact measurement at the combine, but of course he didn't measure. But even if he grew, I am betting he is NOT close to 6 '7..