Sean Smith Arrested on felony battery charge.

BigD1123

Don't really know how I feel about it tbh. If he was defending his sis then give em the hands! But I posted it when the story first broke so I didn't know anything other than he was charged with felony assault. That's why I said he gone. Not his play. And if this happened a month ago it may have something to do with his lackluster body language people thought it was from the demotion. Could be a combo type thing. Anyway I was actually hoping he would take over for Nelson at safety next yr. Let's us use Obi covering ends and backs and still gives us 2 safeties up top. Also if I'm not mistaken should he get suspended it frees us up some on our cap obligation. 

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

There is also the fact that stopping an attack and doling out a beating that includes "stomping someones head" may exceed excruciating yourself from immediate danger. The DA obviously thing something along those lines or they wouldn't have brought charges.

Indeed. You're not allowed to try to kill someone, no matter what he did. Stomping on his head is going way too far.

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can also see if he's willing to take a paycut next year. 

There's better places to invest millions then on an aging, backup CB. The Raiders should move on, and put that money towards Mack's new contract

9 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Indeed. You're not allowed to try to kill someone, no matter what he did. Stomping on his head is going way too far.

Under certain circumstances you can kill someone and not get convicted.  As far as the his case goes I think since it took so long to charge him this might be a case where justification of his actions were in question.  If they got in an argument and Smith just beat him up then he would have been charged right away.  It is all speculation right now but I see him taking a probation plea deal and having to serve a suspension next year or possibly right as we are making a playoff run at the end of this year.

17 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Under certain circumstances you can kill someone and not get convicted.  As far as the his case goes I think since it took so long to charge him this might be a case where justification of his actions were in question.  If they got in an argument and Smith just beat him up then he would have been charged right away.  It is all speculation right now but I see him taking a probation plea deal and having to serve a suspension next year or possibly right as we are making a playoff run at the end of this year.

If there was a question about whether Smith was the person who attacked the guy because of lack of witnesses, witnesses not cooperating or the victim not wanting to or being able to cooperate(due to medical issues) then the arrest could have been delayed as well.

26 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

does his contract have a clause for arrests? can we dump him without a cap hit?

Those kind of details wouldn't be available to the public til they actually had to be used and were reported by the media. As of right now all we know is that his 9mil cap hit is guaranteed this year (5mil base salary, 4.25 roster bonus and 250k workout bonus)

I think this is a tricky issue for a few reasons. 

First of all you'd have to consider his play. While he hasn't lived up to the contract he signed and Amerson has become our #1 corner, Smith is serviceable and has played well enough to be in the league. Maybe the drop off of his play was coming over to a new defensive system. From what I've seen one of D's biggest issues particularly in the secondary is "communication", and that's been discussed a lot.  Given what we're paying him, and the fact he's getting paid whether he's on the roster or not, I think he stays, especially since we'll likely carry 5 or 6 corners on the 53 man.

Now, come in the legal issues. As of now he's only been charged, therefore innocent until proven guilty. The point we are at in the season, and given how slow the judicial system is, I doubt this gets cleared before season's end. At that point if he's found guilty, he's looking at jail time, if this were to be the case I would think there is some language in his contract that would relieve the Raiders from his contract. 

As far as the details of the incident, if reports are true that he struck the "victim" with kicks to the head while he was down, it's going to be hard to defend an assault charge with a defense of others defense. 

I think the Raiders are smart in handling a release with caution. Given how things developed with Conley, I'm going to trust McKenzie and Co.

Archived