Is the defense for real?

TheGreeK1973

45 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Danny Johnson? Guy gave so much cushion most times he wasn’t even on screen shot

are we elite? No, but getting better stopping the run. Our weaknesses are numerous - ILB on pass coverage, little pressure from OLB, the best corner is injured. 

What do you expect from A) a UDFA rookie, B) the guy who was supposed to start the season 5th or 6th on the depth chart, and C) has Greg "There Is No Such Thing as Too Big of A Cushion" Manusky?

2 hours ago, Woz said:

What do you expect from A) a UDFA rookie, B) the guy who was supposed to start the season 5th or 6th on the depth chart, and C) has Greg "There Is No Such Thing as Too Big of A Cushion" Manusky?

Maybe that was the game plan.  Maybe they wanted to make sure no one got behind them and they gave up that cushion because percentages showed if you let them nickel and dime you to death eventually they would make a mistake.  And that is exactly how it played out didn't it?  More concerning to me was the fact that our DL missed plenty of opportunities to sack Fitz and he escaped for big runs.  WE CANT DO THAT against the Texans.  Nor the Eagles, nor the Boys.  

10 hours ago, Woz said:

I agree. He seemed afraid. But sometimes big cushion is ok

BWUdL8sgGkPu2Q5-7y6u8uL4rbptaeAwtZ9na2yg

4MSykZVps7LIDYLgM3nKcG3XQ4fXGbH8RewltmJq

8 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Maybe that was the game plan.  Maybe they wanted to make sure no one got behind them and they gave up that cushion because percentages showed if you let them nickel and dime you to death eventually they would make a mistake.  And that is exactly how it played out didn't it?  More concerning to me was the fact that our DL missed plenty of opportunities to sack Fitz and he escaped for big runs.  WE CANT DO THAT against the Texans.  Nor the Eagles, nor the Boys.  

100 on this post! The Redskins played bend but don’t break with DJ & Stroman vs the two great WRs the Bucs have - Djax &’Evans. It’s a good strategy actually, and it worked. 

I totally agree that the front 7 has to get the QB on the ground, we’ve seen this as Redskins fans often since what? 2010 or 2011 with Rak & Kerrigan, now Kerrigan & PSmith and the Young DL? 

We are getting pressure on the QB but we aren’t getting home and worse than that, we have had some QBs in our grasp and have failed to finish the job and get the sack. They need to tackle the Qb, especially as you said vs the more mobile qbs coming up - Watson, Wentz & Dak.

56 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I want to see more of Settle out there. He looked good in preseason, but haven't seen much of him during the season.

He’s a run stuffing NT who offers some pass rush ability. They’ve been playing their top 3 DL more than they have in years past - for good reason - the top 3 DL are good to great.

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

His run stuffing ability is needed at times. 

Yeah, but who are you going to take out? Payne has been a good NT, great at time in his run stuffing ability.

In his first two years in the league, Allen has been one of the best run defending DE’s in the NFL and Ioannidis is incredibly strong and gets off blocks well also.

It's ok that our 5th round bowling ball NT of a rookie is a back up and only plays a handful of snaps a game while he develops.

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Who said anything about cutting anyone? I said I just want him to get some playing time. Like he comes in place of Payne on some plays. 

I didn’t say anything about cutting anyone too. When they take 3 DL off they go to their nickel D with 2 pass rushing DTs - 2 of Allen, Ioannidis and Payne - and have Smith/Kerrigan in at OLB/4-3 DE and then 3 corners in.

There’s just not many snaps for him unless the other team puts in an extra TE or OL for short yardage.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I didn’t say anything about cutting anyone too. When they take 3 DL off they go to their nickel D with 2 pass rushing DTs - 2 of Allen, Ioannidis and Payne - and have Smith/Kerrigan in at OLB/4-3 DE and then 3 corners in.

There’s just not many snaps for him unless the other team puts in an extra TE or OL for short yardage.

Well maybe they should switch it up a bit, something else this teams knows nothing about ADJUSTMENTS. The pressure up the middle has to be increased. Adjusting the deffense where you can have Payne and Settle as the DTs with Matt and Allen as DEs is something to think about. 

Your example basically says Settle is a wasted pick because he will never see the feild behind Payne in those type of formations unless Payne is injured. 

Archived