🏈 Week 10: Bucs (3-5) @ Redskins (5-3)

bucsfan333

12 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

Nice, this is pretty much it.  I agree on the Mariota part though I'd take him over most the people he named except probably Darnold.

Mariota is only 23-24 years old. Darnold to me is Winston’s without the off field issue. He struggled with turnovers at USC and I don’t see that’s changing 

Eisen’s argument seems to boil down to “Mariota is young, he can get better”, as if that doesn’t apply to Winston or anyone else.

The knock on Mariota was that everything at Oregon was either a pre snap or single read and that he couldn’t go through his progression. Year 4 and Eisen reckons that’s still a problem.

Both Winston and Mariota have been disappointments and if we’re honest, we were screwed either way. We picked the guy with the higher ceiling and lower floor and, at this stage, it looks like it hasn’t worked. We learn, we move on.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

Eisen’s argument seems to boil down to “Mariota is young, he can get better”, as if that doesn’t apply to Winston or anyone else.

The knock on Mariota was that everything at Oregon was either a pre snap or single read and that he couldn’t go through his progression. Year 4 and Eisen reckons that’s still a problem.

Both Winston and Mariota have been disappointments and if we’re honest, we were screwed either way. We picked the guy with the higher ceiling and lower floor and, at this stage, it looks like it hasn’t worked. We learn, we move on.

There was never a knock on Mariota going through progressions. 

12 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

There was never a knock on Mariota going through progressions. 

It was pretty obvious from the offensive scheme he played in at Oregon that he didn’t typically have a long progression to go through.

It was a concern of quite a few coaches I know and the general feeling was he’d need to land in the right scheme and be brought along slowly to have a chance.

Interestingly, they thought Winston had no chance since he was a RS sophomore and didn’t have enough experience playing in college.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

It was pretty obvious from the offensive scheme he played in at Oregon that he didn’t typically have a long progression to go through.

It was a concern of quite a few coaches I know and the general feeling was he’d need to land in the right scheme and be brought along slowly to have a chance.

Interestingly, they thought Winston had no chance since he was a RS sophomore and didn’t have enough experience playing in college.

THe thing is Mariota is atleast going to go on and be a 10-12 year starter in this league that may get better but he’ll be in the average to good category in Tennessee if he stays healthy. He’s better than winston without the weapons.  

While winston is going to be out of town and probably out of the league. 

Again, we would have been better off with Mariota over winston. 

20 hours ago, ravishingone said:

You have to chuckle at this amount of organizational dysfunction.  I ll watch the games like everyone else, but Black Monday can t come soon enough.

I like Koetter in general but this kind of garbage is why he shouldn’t and won’t be a HC again in the NFL.

33 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

THe thing is Mariota is atleast going to go on and be a 10-12 year starter in this league that may get better but he’ll be in the average to good category in Tennessee if he stays healthy. He’s better than winston without the weapons.  

While winston is going to be out of town and probably out of the league. 

Again, we would have been better off with Mariota over winston. 

Is he though? If Mariota continues at the level he’s at, Tennessee will likely move on before then. They got a game manager at #2.

The “weapons” argument is always a disingenuous one.  Mariota has a solid to good oline and a good running game to work with. Winston historically had a bad oline and no running game to speak of. I’d rather give a young QB a good running game than a good receiving corps as a starting point.

We were pretty much guaranteed a game manager with Mariota, but regardless of which one we drafted, we wouldn’t have (and haven’t) got what we needed from the pick.

I've seen some thrillers between the Bucs and 'Skins; Tampa Bay's 36-35 win over them back in 2005 is a personal favorite. I look forward to seeing this one, because Washington is off to a surprisingly good start despite their shortcomings and I don't think the Bucs are as weak as the 3-5 record indicates. I was disappointed with how they stumbled after that amazing start in Week 1. There's plenty of time for Fitz and Co to cobble together a good season, but to do that they will have to win games like this.

Archived