Jimmy Graham

Pugger

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats fine. Not a problem - more interested in the latter portion of the comment: what is the average age of WRs in the NFL?

Wasn't easy, but I went to Spotrac, took all the WR's listed, 236 of them, and put them into excel.  Average age came to 25.32.

Surprisingly enough, that is how old Davante is right now.

Only 25 players were 30 or older.  Dez was in that list, as was Brandon Marshall.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Wasn't easy, but I went to Spotrac, took all the WR's listed, 236 of them, and put them into excel.  Average age came to 25.32.

Only 25 players were 30 or older.  Dez was in that list, as was Brandon Marshall.

Havent found a website which lists the current average age of NFL players by group - but found this: 

"For players that enter the league as 21-year-olds, this graph (not shown) seems to confirm the public discourse around the third year breakout for wide receivers (i.e. the jump that receivers take from their age 22 to 23 season is the biggest jump that they take in their careers); for players that enter the NFL as 22 year olds, this is their second season .Wide receivers seem to have a relatively short peak range of three years from 25 to 27, with their peak being their age 26 season"

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Havent found a website which lists the current average age of NFL players by group - but found this: 

"For players that enter the league as 21-year-olds, this graph (not shown) seems to confirm the public discourse around the third year breakout for wide receivers (i.e. the jump that receivers take from their age 22 to 23 season is the biggest jump that they take in their careers); for players that enter the NFL as 22 year olds, this is their second season .Wide receivers seem to have a relatively short peak range of three years from 25 to 27, with their peak being their age 26 season"

Go to Spotrac.

Find the group you want...QB's, WR's, RB's...etc.

Highlight the entire list.  Hit copy.

Open Excel.  Click on upper left box.  Hit paste.

All the data should come over and be somewhat sortable.

Highlight age column, look at bottom of excel to see averages.

Take a little bit, but it isn't difficult to do.

Guessing that 25-27 is pretty much a "prime" year for most athletes.  So, that data in your post doesn't shock me one bit.  In NFL terms, it gets them in the league and indoctrinated into the strength/training programs while learning NFL skills.  That age should be the axis point in which experience meshes with peak athletic traits.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Go to Spotrac.

Find the group you want...QB's, WR's, RB's...etc.

Highlight the entire list.  Hit copy.

Open Excel.  Click on upper left box.  Hit paste.

All the data should come over and be somewhat sortable.

Highlight age column, look at bottom of excel to see averages.

Take a little bit, but it isn't difficult to do.

Guessing that 25-27 is pretty much a "prime" year for most athletes.  So, that data in your post doesn't shock me one bit.  In NFL terms, it gets them in the league and indoctrinated into the strength/training programs while learning NFL skills.  That age should be the axis point in which experience meshes with peak athletic traits.

Thanks. All / most of the websites dealt with average career length of NFL players.....(not interested) - but an interesting fact is the relatively young age they die off:  53-59

Archived