Panthers @ Lions

iknowcool

I don't understand why we have gotten away from running Cam Newton in the red-zone or at the goal-line.  CMC is great, but Newton's always been lethal down there and gives us a #s advantage when he takes he direct run.  And then Gano misses the field goal.

11 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don't understand why we have gotten away from running Cam Newton in the red-zone or at the goal-line.  CMC is great, but Newton's always been lethal down there and gives us a #s advantage when he takes he direct run.  And then Gano misses the field goal.

Not sure why Cam didn't just roll left on that 3rd and goal. Had tons of time, could've at least looked to make something happen with his legs.

Just now, James said:

Not sure why Cam didn't just roll left on that 3rd and goal. Had tons of time, could've at least looked to make something happen with his legs.

Yea he's so resistant to running in the pocket, it's ridiculous.  Its why I never understand why announcers will say, "he's gotten better at hanging in the pocket."  Dude never seems to scramble when he should.  Would have been an easy TD if he took off.

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Yea he's so resistant to running in the pocket, it's ridiculous.  Its why I never understand why announcers will say, "he's gotten better at hanging in the pocket."  Dude never seems to scramble when he should.  Would have been an easy TD if he took off.

On the plus side, Cam Newton is an amazing leader.  Love him hyping up Gano.  I never thought he was a bad leader, but it's definitely good to see him more energized 24/7 than in the past.

We just need to get this W.  Lets go defense!

This is way more demoralizing than the Steelers game.  At least we simply got thoroughly out-played that game and you could chalk it up to just a bad week, things happen.  This week, we're shooting ourselves in the foot (5 Funchess drops, 2 missed kicks) and don't look like we've improved upon any of our mistakes.  

Cam Newton twice today had chances to escape the pocket and run for a TD, chose not to.

The decision to not call a Cam Newton run from the 2 yard line, which essentially works 99% of the time we ever do it down there, is horrendous.  Why are we refusing to use his greatest gift?

35 minutes ago, showtime said:

Why did they go for two instead of kicking the extra point and going to OT?

Personally, I had no faith in Gano making the XP.  I loved the call for the 2pt and unfortunately we just didn't convert.

I mean, we're still 6-4.  We're still the #5 or #6 seed depending on what happens with the Vikings today (#6 seed as of now, but move to #5 if they lose).  But the Seahawks game is a must-win.  If they beat us, they will leapfrog us in the standings and unless the Vikings lose out, we'll be behind them too.  Considering 4 of our 5 games are in-division, including two games against the Saints, yeah.

If we miss the playoffs, I wonder what Tepper decides to do.  Despite of some of the (mostly overreactionary) things I've said about Rivera, he's a good coach.  You don't win as many games as we have over the last 5 years without a good coach, and 2014 and 2016 were our only down seasons that kind of went out of his control (2014 and 2016 both had Newton injuries, while 2014 had such a talent-devoid offensive line and secondary and somehow we made the playoffs).  Right now I'm leaning towards hoping we'd keep him even if we did miss, mainly because I really think this team is close - Cam Newton is entering his prime, we've got some great pieces offensively, and defensively we just need to bring in a good to great edge rusher or two to get us back where we were.  But Tepper didn't hire Rivera or Hurney, so who knows.

Seahawks game gonna be massive tough.  If we lose that game, best case scenario is we beat the Bucs/Browns and enter facing the Saints in Week 15 at 8-5.  10-6 might be enough to get in, but that is still asking for 2 games in a stretch against Saints-Falcons-Saints.  So we really gotta win next week. 9-4 going into that game would be ideal.

Archived