If Alex Smith cant come back

Vladimir L

On 12/4/2018 at 2:52 PM, Woz said:

Unfortunately, no competent football guy is coming to Washington after the franchise screwed over McCloughan.

Well, Virgin Galactic claims their first flights into space will be next year. Maybe we get lucky and Snyder buys a ticket and there is a "Lost in Space" malfunction that shoots the ship out into deep space?

Disagree, money talks. We can find someone somewhere who deserves to be president/GM of a franchise and offer him the job here.

I’ve heard the guy we hired earlier this year, Brian Lafamina? (SP) could be an option as team president.

Then, I’d keep Doug in his role as SR. VP and make Kyle Smith the GM. 

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I thought the same thing about the Orioles.  After how the dog and pony show went for years, and how Duquette and Showalter were at odds all of these years despite winning teams, I had no idea they would poach the Assistant GM of one of the best teams in baseball, with one of the best talent pipelines in baseball.  But the Angelos sons were able to pull it off and hired Mike Elias to come in and fix this team.

Peter Angelos bought the team in 1993 at age 64. At age 88, he turned the franchise over to his sons who then turned around and hired Elias.

25 years of a meddlesome owner before getting someone who was willing to lead the franchise and let the baseball guys do their thing.

Daniel Snyder has owned the team for 21 years, but is only 54. He's not changing.

It can happen, and Snyder has to do what the Angelos sons did.  Admit there have been past mistakes, admit that they want a long-term winner and are willing to commit whatever is necessary to doing that and promise a good portion of control to the incoming GM.  He's going to have to be very vulnerable in the interview, and very forthcoming about wanting to change things for the better.  And he needs to show up at the introductory press conference, address the media and fans and introduce the new GM and explain the process. 

What have you seen from Snyder that makes you think he would do what the Angelos sons did? Sure it could happen, but I could win both the Mega Millions and Powerball drawings on the same day.

There are only 32 of these jobs, and Snyder's one shining point puts this above everything- he's a Redskins fan, and wants the team to win.  He's been woefully misguided and done a lot of reprehensible things, but he is the only one who can fix this mess.  

I once thought like you. However, in recent years, I think he's changed to just want the money out of the deal. I honestly don't think he cares about winning anymore in and of itself beyond what it means to the cash flow/revenue situation.

43 minutes ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

At this point, why would he come back? He has no real emotional ties to the organization, his contract is injury guaranteed, and the Redskins don't have talent surrounding him. Easy choice, take the money and run hobble.

FTFY. But yeah, as soon as I found out that the contract was guaranteed for injury, I figured he was done playing ball and was just going to cash out.

44 minutes ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

This franchise is truly cursed. I'm so sick of this ish year in and year out. I've spend time away from this forum this season mostly because I've been working so many hours but also because its emotionally draining putting some much thought and effort into a team that continues to punch you in the gut.

Think of @Thaiphoon and I. We moderate this damn thing.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Disagree, money talks. We can find someone somewhere who deserves to be president/GM of a franchise and offer him the job here.

If you are taking a job solely for the money, you will likely find it's not worth.

If you are hiring someone who is taking the job solely for the money, you will likely find they are not worth it.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Peter Angelos bought the team in 1993 at age 64. At age 88, he turned the franchise over to his sons who then turned around and hired Elias.

25 years of a meddlesome owner before getting someone who was willing to lead the franchise and let the baseball guys do their thing.

Daniel Snyder has owned the team for 21 years, but is only 54. He's not changing.

What have you seen from Snyder that makes you think he would do what the Angelos sons did? Sure it could happen, but I could win both the Mega Millions and Powerball drawings on the same day.

I once thought like you. However, in recent years, I think he's changed to just want the money out of the deal. I honestly don't think he cares about winning anymore in and of itself beyond what it means to the cash flow/revenue situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not optimistic about it happening, but if Angelos can change his spots, then Snyder sure can.  However, I still think there is more to go before things truly hit that bottom point for him, unfortunately for us.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

but if Angelos can change his spots, then Snyder sure can.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Angelos "changed his spots" by turning the franchise over to his sons. Angelos himself didn't change, the ones in control changed.

I have no idea how old Snyder's kids are, but I fear we're along way away from him turning the reins over.

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve heard the guy we hired earlier this year, Brian Lafamina? (SP) could be an option as team president.

Then, I’d keep Doug in his role as SR. VP and make Kyle Smith the GM. 

See now that’s competent football decisions turtle!!!! Kyle Smith is really the only hope we have of this team making it somewhere!!!! To the QB topic first I was a huge not okay with Smith outside of him and his leadership ability!!! But this is seriously not even about football!!! As a class act human I pray for that guy and his family as this injury goes way deeper then just football!!!

That said I’m not the biggest Lock fan but this teams desire to go SEC in the first round outside of Josh Doctson in recent years. I’m more of a Grier guy. That said I can see the current moron in charge saying we will just wait for Bama’s QB to come out!!! But we will see as this has been a huge situation but too the football side this team has to go QB!!! They have to find a guy!!! They absolutely can’t sell this fan base on the scrap heap FA QB’s that could be cut!!! They absolutely have to man up and spend a high pick this year!!!

15 hours ago, Woz said:

If you are taking a job solely for the money, you will likely find it's not worth.

If you are hiring someone who is taking the job solely for the money, you will likely find they are not worth it.

So, Shanahan, bad hire? He came here bc Snyder gave him final say over all football operations and because we have him a huge contract. Outside of that, he wouldn’t have come here.

If Jim Harbaugh does come here, that would be the only reason.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:
On 12/6/2018 at 12:37 PM, Woz said:

So, Shanahan, bad hire? He came here bc Snyder gave him final say over all football operations and because we have him a huge contract. Outside of that, he wouldn’t have come here

1. Giving a coach final say over all football operations is a bad idea regardless of the money involved. As I have said many times before, the coach and the GM have different horizons and different focuses. Making one person handle both of those responsibilities is a high risk move (in the free agency era, only Bill Belichick has shown himself to be exempt from this).
  2. Shanahan wanted and later got final say over all football operations in Denver. That arguably led to his downfall there. So, yeah, doing it again was stupid.
  3. Can you actually look at his tenure in DC as a success in any way, shape, or form? He brought the 3-4 here, which is only now finally starting to look like it could work since the team is finally realizing that they have to invest in it. He traded for McNabb, claimed Beck was going to lead the team, didn't really have a plan on how he wanted the team to run. How was he anything but a bad hire?
  4. Griffin, the trade, the injury, the relationship ... that all-in move he post-fact claims he didn't want set the franchise back half a decade.

What you want is someone who wants to be here. The problem is that no one wants to work for Snyder because he's an grade A a-hole. As a result, you get retreads or guys who aren't as good because the cream of the crop don't want to sully their reputation on working here.

From a career reputation perspective, the Snyder-led Redskins are a rich man's Cleveland Browns or Oakland Raiders. The Skins have had significantly more success on the field than the Browns and Raiders have had, but all of these franchises are where you go because you have no other choice or because they overpaid you (and will likely dispose of you in a couple of years when the cost/benefit ratio becomes too painful to absorb (even though it was obvious that it was going to happen when signed)).

14 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. Giving a coach final say over all football operations is a bad idea regardless of the money involved. As I have said many times before, the coach and the GM have different horizons and different focuses. Making one person handle both of those responsibilities is a high risk move (in the free agency era, only Bill Belichick has shown himself to be exempt from this).
  2. Shanahan wanted and later got final say over all football operations in Denver. That arguably led to his downfall there. So, yeah, doing it again was stupid.
  3. Can you actually look at his tenure in DC as a success in any way, shape, or form? He brought the 3-4 here, which is only now finally starting to look like it could work since the team is finally realizing that they have to invest in it. He traded for McNabb, claimed Beck was going to lead the team, didn't really have a plan on how he wanted the team to run. How was he anything but a bad hire?
  4. Griffin, the trade, the injury, the relationship ... that all-in move he post-fact claims he didn't want set the franchise back half a decade.

What you want is someone who wants to be here. The problem is that no one wants to work for Snyder because he's an grade A a-hole. As a result, you get retreads or guys who aren't as good because the cream of the crop don't want to sully their reputation on working here.

From a career reputation perspective, the Snyder-led Redskins are a rich man's Cleveland Browns or Oakland Raiders. The Skins have had significantly more success on the field than the Browns and Raiders have had, but all of these franchises are where you go because you have no other choice or because they overpaid you (and will likely dispose of you in a couple of years when the cost/benefit ratio becomes too painful to absorb (even though it was obvious that it was going to happen when signed)).

Woz, you are my hero! Finally, after 6 years someone has backed me up on the truth about Mike Shanahan, and if you have before and I missed it, I apologize.

As for the rest, everyone goes to Front Office jobs for money to some extent, except possibly Bruce Allen. As much as I hate Allen bc he’s a snake oil salesman and a liar, I do believe the man truly loves the Redskins and has since his childhood, he just makes some incredibly stupid personnel and PR moves but I think most of that is bc it’s what Dan wants.

Archived