The Saints just signed Simmie Cobbs off PS

MikeT14

18 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If so, Gruden should just flat out resign if Allen isn't axed .

True, he said that's why Stacey McGee has been seeing so many snaps, and why HaHa has been getting all snaps at FS over Nicholson even though he's struggling.  

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Which is why you need the damn personnel people to step in and take the choice out of the coach's hands. Someone has to be focused on the long-term, and that someone needs to have veto power over the coach's natural inclination to try to win the game that's right ahead of him. This should never have been a decision for Gruden to make in the first place -- Bruce (or Doug or whomever) should have advised Gruden that they're adding Simmie Cobbs to the active roster, and the discussion should have been about which player/roster spot is most expendable. 

Which neither the current GM nor the current coach are ...

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

True, he said that's why Stacey McGee has been seeing so many snaps, and why HaHa has been getting all snaps at FS over Nicholson even though he's struggling.  

More proof that the man is an idiot ...

19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

So local talk radio (Kevin Sheehan) was talking about how Bruce Allen has a vice grip on all roster decisions, not just who's on the 53 but also who starts and how the rotations play out.  

I believe it. I think Bruce dictates it too.

The only logical reason why Cobbs wasn’t on the active roster and that Bibbs was cut instead of Marshall or Perine is that Bruce Allen decided that they weren’t in the teams future.

We’ve all stated that Cobbs should’ve been on the roster months ago, most thought he should’ve been added after Quinn & Sims went down in week 1 and I’m still upset that he wasn’t. 

Cooley said on his pod cast/call with Al Galdi that he really liked Cobbs. He thought he could separate well, he had size and could make difficult catches and he pointed out that he didn’t see that from some of the WRs that we’ve had on the roster all year long. The only thing I can think of is that they liked Cam Sims so much more and had him and Cobbs in the same role, but eff the damn role! Let’s keep our prospect and a young WR with potential over a nobody like Chessum!

Freakin ridiculous!

So, the thought process that Galdi had - and he didn’t necessarily agree with it - was that the Redskins didn’t have Bibbs or Cobbs in their long term plans. They still had more hope for Perine’s development to be a 1st and second down back and for Marshall as a 3rd down back. The problem with that is - as Galdi pointed out - that they cut the best all around back out of the 3 to keep two situation backs! That makes absolutely no effin sense! They should’ve kept Bibbs bc he was the best all around back! 

They also should’ve had Cobbs on the active roster since September instead of signing Perine & Chessum!

I mean these moves/mistakes  probably don’t mean much in terms of the Redskins ever getting back to a good to great team in the long run, but as a front office personnel group, it makes them look what they are - inept!  What a freakin disaster!

19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s ridiculous, Settle or Brantley should be getting those snaps and Nicholson should definitely be playing and should’ve been playing the last few games more than Haha bc we need to evaluate for the future and even though we’re not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, we have NO shot!

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I believe it. I think Bruce dictates it too.

The only logical reason why Cobbs wasn’t on the active roster and that Bibbs was cut instead of Marshall or Perine is that Bruce Allen decided that they weren’t in the teams future.

We’ve all stated that Cobbs should’ve been on the roster months ago, most thought he should’ve been added after Quinn & Sims went down in week 1 and I’m still upset that he wasn’t. 

Cooley said on his pod cast/call with Al Galdi that he really liked Cobbs. He thought he could separate well, he had size and could make difficult catches and he pointed out that he didn’t see that from other WRs that we’ve had on the roster all year long. The only thing I can think of is that they liked Cam Sims so much more and had him and Cobbs in the same role, but eff the damn role! Let’s keep our prospect and a young WR with potential over a nobody like Chessum!

Freakin ridiculous!

So, the thought process that Galdi had - and he didn’t necessarily agree with it - was that the Redskins didn’t have Bibbs or Cobbs in their long term plans. They still had more hope for Perine’s development to be a 1st and second down back and for Marshall as a 3rd down back. The problem with that is - as Galdi pointed out - that they cut the best all around back out of the 3 to keep two situation backs! That makes absolutely no effin sense! They should’ve kept Bibbs bc he was the best all around back! 

They also should’ve had Cobbs on the active roster since September instead of signing Perine & Chessum!

I mean these moves/mistakes  probably don’t mean much in terms of the Redskins ever getting back to a good to great team in the long run, but as a front office personnel group, it makes them look what they are - inept!  What a freakin disaster!

Chessum is excellent on speacial teams, I don't have a problem with him over Cobbs. However I have an issue over not having him over Quick.

54 minutes ago, rizzy said:

Chessum is excellent on speacial teams, I don't have a problem with him over Cobbs. However I have an issue over not having him over Quick.

I do think that’s the real issue here. I never got the sense that Cobbs was a great special teams player. If Cobbs was good at special teams, I definitely think he would’ve been brought off the practice squad in September. It’s true that Chessum is on the team mainly bc of special teams but I just still can’t understand why they couldnt have had Cobbs on the roster since Sept instead of Floyd or Quick.

Like, I think Floyd and Quick can still play, but we don’t even use them and they’ve made no impact at all this season while Cobbs could’ve been active and learning some. Cobbs should’ve been on the roster since Quinn & Simms went down over one of those two vets IMO.

FTR, this is going to be a "violent agreement" post, turtle. I'm not disputing anything you are saying, just piling on.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Except that none of Bibbs, Marshall, or Perine were in the team's future. Of all of them, the only one who looked marginally competent at his job was the one they cut.

Cobbs could have been, but we'll likely never know.

This is very true.

The only thing I can think of is that they liked Cam Sims so much more and had him and Cobbs in the same role, but eff the damn role! Let’s keep our prospect and a young WR with potential over a nobody like Chessum!

They put on Sims on IR prior to the season starting. As such, he was ineligible to return for any of 2018. As such, they had him parked.

Seeing what Cobbs could do when live bullets are flying would have made much more sense. If nothing else, if you think Sims is better, at least see what Cobbs could offer you when the games count as a metric for Sims.

And you're completely right that giving snaps to Chessum over Cobbs made little sense.

This goes back to why did they insist on keeping five running backs? As good as Chris Thompson is when healthy, he's a net negative to the team if they have to overload at the position to account for the fact that he's likely going to miss time.

And yes, Bibbs was a perfectly suitable all-around back. Was he as good as Peterson as a between-the-tackles guy? No. Was he good as Thompson as a pass catcher/last ditch blitz pickup guy? No. But he was completely better suited to backup either man. And assuredly better contributor to the team than Marshall or Perine have been/will be.

Yes and no.

No, choosing Marshall/Perine over Bibbs in 2018 will likely not affect this team in 2020. It might have a minimal effect on 2019.

However, as you say, it shows yet again that the front office as it is currently comprised/organized cannot make a suitable roster. Realistically, that is the prime reason that they are all there: to build a roster that can be the best it can be while being as resilient to injuries as it can be. The fact that they cannot see things that we, as regular peons, see means they flat out suck and need to be replaced wholesale.

Yes, that might mean losing people like Eric Schaeffer or Kyle Smith as well. But at this point, a winnowing of the entire field and then re-hiring only those that are worthy could be the right call.

5 hours ago, rizzy said:

Or Floyd for that matter.

I think Floyd and Quick can still play, but we don’t even use them and they’ve made no impact at all this season while Cobbs could’ve been active and learning some. Cobbs should’ve been on the roster since Quinn & Simms went down over one of those two vets IMO.

Can they, though? What have you seen/did you see from Floyd and Quick which told you that either gentleman should be here next year? I have seen nothing for either of them. As such, they should have given Cobbs a chance.

41 minutes ago, Woz said:

Or Floyd for that matter.

I wouldn't say he has played exceptional or anything but he has just been a consistent player like a Grant. And with having injury issues to Crowder and the question mark of Doctson I do think we need to roster one person you can rely on to make the basic catches.

Just now, rizzy said:

I wouldn't say he has played exceptional or anything but he has just been a consistent player like a Grant. And with having injury issues to Crowder and the question mark of Doctson I do think we need to roster one person you can rely on to make the basic catches.

https://www.fantasysp.com/target-touch-leaders/WAS/all

Consistent? 18 targets, 7 catches (39% catch rate) is consistent? That's the worst rate on the team.

Basically, he's the last guy you want to rely on.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Can they, though? What have you seen/did you see from Floyd and Quick which told you that either gentleman should be here next year? I have seen nothing for either of them. As such, they should have given Cobbs a chance.

I’m not saying that Floyd or Quick should be on the team, I want to be better than that kind of wr and younger than them at positon but I’ve seen them both make some good catches over the last several years and they’re established vets that know that they’re doing. They’re nothing special, but serviceable vets.

47 minutes ago, rizzy said:

Yeah, Grant was consistent since the minute he got here as a route runner, receiver and special teams player. Grant wasn’t anything special but he was a fine #4 WR on any team. 

Chessum has yet to show he even deserved to be on an nfl roster besides tackling on special teams. If we didn’t have 3 WRs on IR he would NOT be on our roster.

The person who’s become our new Grant is Maurice Harris. He had a 5 Reception and 10 Reception game this year and several other games with receptions. He’s a serviceable #4 or 5 WR in the league.

Chessum isn’t that guy currently and may never be.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I’m not saying that Floyd or Quick should be on the team, I want to be better than that kind of wr and younger than them at positon but I’ve seen them both make some good catches over the last several years and they’re established vets that know that they’re doing. They’re nothing special, but serviceable vets.

1. They've also dropped a bunch of passes that the team needed them to make. If you cannot count on them, are they really serviceable?
  2. But even if we accept that they are serviceable, as you yourself said, the team needs to look to the future. "Nothing special, serviceable vets" are available by the truckloads in the offseason. If they truly needed a JAG receiver like Floyd or Quick, they (or someone equivalent) will surely be there in May or June.

Archived