Do you look at a quarterbacks defense when comparing them?

LieutenantGains

It matters to me. Its not easy to have to overcome a bad defense. Good QBs cant maximize their success when they have to overcome a bad defense. You see how great the Saints are now with a good to great defense. When they didnt have a defense Brees could only do so much and even then it wasnt good enough. Peyton was let down so much in the playoffs because of a bad defense with the Colts. 

As far as the playoff goes, as much as it is the "sexy" conversation to talk about which QB is "clutch", and "has what it takes his team to the promised land", it is objectively more important and more influential to have great defense to win playoff games. If you throw perpetual great defense and a great QB, then you've got yourself a dynasty. Like the Patrios for example.

People like to make it all about QB's because it makes things seem so much more dramatic and compelling, but this isn't wrestling and defense wins championshipps in football.

I think a good defense and special teams can help an offense be more efficient and vice versa.  Not always, but generally.  It's worth mentioning every variable when discussing, but ultimately I think it plays a minor enough role that it doesn't matter that much, except for very extreme cases, but even then, the QB answers for what the QB does.

Wins and postseason success are where it really matters.

Archived