Who would you like to see get a shot with the starters?

MKnight82

Is there anyone that isn't starting that you'd like to see get a shot?  Here's a few of mine:

HB Chris Thompson - he seems to have the most natural ability of any of our RBs.  Obviously the risk is he'll get hurt.  

LT Ty Nsekhe - Not at LT obviously, but get this guy in the game somehow.  I've been really impressed every time I've seen him play.  LG?

LB Ryan Anderson - Preston Smith seems to still be meh.  Anderson has looked promising.  Give the rookie a shot IMO.  

CB Fabian Moreau - The kid looks like a baller.  Breeland is so inconsistent.  Put Moreau out there with the ones and lets see how he hold up.  If he does, trade Breeland?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Is there anyone that isn't starting that you'd like to see get a shot?  Here's a few of mine:

HB Chris Thompson - he seems to have the most natural ability of any of our RBs.  Obviously the risk is he'll get hurt.  

LT Ty Nsekhe - Not at LT obviously, but get this guy in the game somehow.  I've been really impressed every time I've seen him play.  LG?

LB Ryan Anderson - Preston Smith seems to still be meh.  Anderson has looked promising.  Give the rookie a shot IMO.  

CB Fabian Moreau - The kid looks like a baller.  Breeland is so inconsistent.  Put Moreau out there with the ones and lets see how he hold up.  If he does, trade Breeland?

Well, the obvious one is Phil Taylor. There is zero reason he's not the #1 nose tackle at this point. (Chase Rouiller obviously qualifies, but that's more by attrition than by play)

As for your suggestions:

• Thompson: I still don't think he's a full time starting RB. He neither has the size for running between the tackles nor the size for pass blocking. If you are going to be on the field on first and second downs as a RB, you need to be able to do both of those. He definitely has the speed and the desire, but I think it is just not possible.
  • Nsekhe: As I said in the Chase Rouiller thread, I wonder if the coaching staff is trying to make sure their only quality backup tackle is available should the worst happen to either Moses or Trent. Maybe try more "jumbo" packages, and line him up in those declaring him a "receiver?"
  • Anderson: I could see this.
  • Moreau: This one I went back and forth on. On one hand, I think you need to give Breeland one last chance. If he doesn't do it, then you go with Moreau. In either case, Breeland's trade value is negligible barring another team experiencing injuries.

A dark horse option pair: Fish Smithson/Montae Nicholson (I'm rooting for Fish)

I agree with your list MKnight but the Moreau idea. I don't think there's any point to have him go with the 1's now over Breeland. If we get through the first month of the season and Breeland has struggled then I'd look to start either Moreau or Fuller.

I agree with Woz about Phil Taylor. Taylor did start at NT vs Baltimore but they went with a different line up vs the Packers and Hood started at NT. I definitely think Taylor is our starting NT.

I also agree I'd like to see Fish & Nicholson get some run with the starters just to see what they can do with our starters and against opposing starters.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Nate Sudfeld. Dude has 1st round talent apparently.

Ryan Grant. Surely as good as he apparently looks in practice will translate to games.

You. You go wash your mouth out with soap. RIGHT NOW, young man!

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

2005_09_artssoap.jpggiphy.gif

Brings back memories!!

i have a few:

Chase at center- yeah I know Long is injured anyway but maybe long comes back at guard for cement feet

turtle- hold on for this one- Paul for Vernon Davis. Davis is a bottom 2 blocker and you can't run with him in game. I believe Sprinkle will be reeds number 1 backup starting next year and is by far our best blocking TE and can be used in that role this year

P-Rine needs to start 

Moreau for breeland 

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I think its worth a shot to see what you have in him vs. Starters. Added bonus that Tomsula hasn't (and will not) name starters.

Ioannidis does play against the starters; he and Allen are in the nickel package on 3rd and long and both have been putting pressuee on the qb in that package.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ioannidis does play against the starters; he and Allen are in the nickel package on 3rd and long and both have been putting pressuee on the qb in that package.

While true, it would be interesting to see what he can do in the base packages.

Archived