It's time to commit to Nick / What to do with Foles?

Art_Vandalay

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah definitely a chance, only thing you’d hope for on our end is they see a window with a great D slipping away and try to get a guy like Foles who can win now. While it suck bigger picture for us, Giants being in front of them means they might have to make a move for a QB regardless. Especially with the Broncos within striking distance at #10. 

Weirdly trading Nick to Jacksonville could hurt us more because it makes the Giants job of getting a QBotF much easier.

If I'm the NY brass, I'm trading down a little or going after one of the DL. Bringing in a couple veterans Bridgewater/Tannehill maybe Derek Carr if he's going to be moved. A rookie wouldn't know how to manage with OBJ throwing tantrums on the sideline.  

I think Foles would absolutely fetch a 1st from Jacksonville. What leverage does Jacksonville have? They're in win-now mode and there's no QB in the draft that would make them SB contenders immediately. Philly's gonna try to do right by Nick and send him to Jacksonville. So, while I think they would except a little less from Jacksonville to send him there, they won't voluntarily get fleeced. There are plenty of teams that are going offer a whole hell of a lot. Philly's not going to turn down a 1st to accept a 2nd and 4th.

11 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Yeah, life is just been crazy busy with working 2 jobs and working on some stuff to get ththe creative juices flowing. How about you my dude?

All good bruh. Working mans a sucker and all that. But that’s life. 

Any team trading for Foles is giving him a contract worth starter’s compensation. And if you’re trading for a starting QB, they should be parting with that sort of package equivalent to one. A 1st is where negotiations start I think. Maybe even more considering Nick is in his prime. If the Eagles get less than a 1 I’d be disappointed. 

What makes Jacksonville in win now mode @Art_Vandalay? They don't have enough offensive firepower outside Fournette. Even Foles can't make ish shine. 

I think they are a year or so depending what sort of perimeter skills guys they bring in. 

A first for Foles 

2nd hope one of those top WRs fall? 

FA: Not a lot of options

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Any team trading for Foles is giving him a contract worth starter’s compensation. And if you’re trading for a starting QB, they should be parting with that sort of package equivalent to one. A 1st is where negotiations start I think. Maybe even more considering Nick is in his prime. If the Eagles get less than a 1 I’d be disappointed. 

I get what you are saying but we might have to be happy with something like a 2nd and a 5th in 2019 and maybe a mid/late rounder in 2020. It has been already said we just might let him walk. Which I feel would be a complete waste. Don't let a team have their starting QB for free. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I get what you are saying but we might have to be happy with something like a 2nd and a 5th in 2019 and maybe a mid/late rounder in 2020. It has been already said we just might let him walk. Which I feel would be a complete waste. Don't let a team have their starting QB for free. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

Yea, it’s possible. I gotta think a starting QB is way more valuable than a 2 and a 5. Anyone worth trading for anyway. But I suppose a 2 is what teams are thinking. Cooper goes for a 1. Bradford went for a 1 and change. Someone will give a 1 up I’d imagine. 

No way Howie let’s him walk. I quoted an article quoting Howie in another thread. He’ll do what’s needed to recoup some assets. 

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Yea, it’s possible. I gotta think a starting QB is way more valuable than a 2 and a 5. Anyone worth trading for anyway. But I suppose a 2 is what teams are thinking. Cooper goes for a 1. Bradford went for a 1 and change. Someone will give a 1 up I’d imagine. 

No way Howie let’s him walk. I quoted an article quoting Howie in another thread. He’ll do what’s needed to recoup some assets. 

Bradford was traded in Sept. '16 a little more of an emergency situation for MN. 

9 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Bradford was traded in Sept. '16 a little more of an emergency situation for MN. 

The Colts reportedly turned down a 2nd round pick offer for Jacoby Brissett last offseason. You're undervaluing the QB position. Minnesota just gave an average QB $84 mil guaranteed (EDIT: And the Jets offered more). Everyone knows Foles won't be a tier 1 QB, but he's obviously proven he can be a successful QB in the league. This "we'll probably get a 2nd" talk is ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

13 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

The Colts reportedly turned down a 2nd round pick offer for Jacoby Brissett last offseason. You're undervaluing the QB position. Minnesota just gave an average QB $84 mil guaranteed (EDIT: And the Jets offered more). Everyone knows Foles won't be a tier 1 QB, but he's obviously proven he can be a successful QB in the league. This "we'll probably get a 2nd" talk is ridiculous.

But I'm thinking terms of the market (draft/FA/trade)...we already disagree that Jax is in win now mode. The market could be flooded with possible QBs who will be available, why would a team give up a 1st for someone when they can get their QBotF? Or a QB who is just as talented. Bridgewater/Carr. With Jax you're talking a top 8 pick...unless Howie takes a 2020 pick. Which then could be anywhere. Why wouldn't Jax take the best QB available on a rookie contract, bring in a FA WR, sign Jalen Ramsey and co to long term deals while they have this QB of the future on a rookie deal for the next 4/5? 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

Why wouldn't Jax take the best QB available on a rookie contract

This sounds good, but there are things to consider. This upcoming class isn't anything close to the last couple of years. You got Dwayne Haskins, then Daniel Jones who's considered a raw, long term project. The Jags can't sit at 7 and draft Dwayne Haskins. The Jags, Giants, Bengals, Broncos, and Dolphins will all likely be battling to trade up, meaning the Jags are going to have to give up a good amount of compensation anyway for an unproven commodity. Also, by the time the draft comes around, all the half-decent free agent QBs are gone. If you're not willing to give up the amount of compensation needed to outbid all those teams for Haskins (who's unproven), then this season is lost and you're just hoping you do a better job finding a QB next offseason.

Wouldn't be easier to just give up a 1st for Foles?

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

There’s plenty of instances over the years of QBs going for a 1st or more, worth it or not. Garroppolo, Palmer, Cutler, Bledsoe. Bridgewater went for a 3rd even and he’s clearly a backup. Every year there’s a handful of teams desperate for a QB. If a team needs a starting QB, they’re going to pay for one. 

Archived