Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston

CWood21

Just now, utley4568 said:

That's fair. I've gotten frustrated lately by the "he hasn't even played an NBA game yet" stance and the "glad to see you can predict the future" retort, which both seem to be prevalent in the NBA forum nowadays. 

I find it ironic when people immediately write off opinions based on the whole SSS issue.  We're on Football's Future...  It's a cop out that ends discussion.  LIS, I have no issues with people saying they think Jaylen Brown is a future star.  I just want to know what transpired between when Jaylen Brown was drafted and now.  He's a marginally better shooter than I thought he was, but not enough for me to label him a good shooter.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Zebras don't change stripes.  IF you're expecting Jaylen Brown to magically become a strong 3PT shooter, I've got some stuff to sell you.  Nobody is writing him off, but to call him a future star based on a very limited sample size is mind boggling to me.

Apparently, he will become a strong 3 point shooter. Did I call him a future star? Nah. 

As he is currently constructed, I liken his ceiling to that of a borderline all star reserve type. I think he'll be a strong starter in 3-4 years. 

And yeah, guys definitely can't get better. His own teammate Jae Crowder never changed his stripes. Oh, wait

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I find it ironic when people immediately write off opinions based on the whole SSS issue.  We're on Football's Future...  It's a cop out that ends discussion.  LIS, I have no issues with people saying they think Jaylen Brown is a future star.  I just want to know what transpired between when Jaylen Brown was drafted and now.  He's a marginally better shooter than I thought he was, but not enough for me to label him a good shooter.

If you'll look to page 288383, article b on the old board, you'd see I was calling for the Celtics to draft Jaylen Brown during the CBB season. Always have been high on him, always will be. Even then, I've never called him a future star like a lot of Celtics people. But he's got all of the tools needed to be a strong contributor. 

Just now, Troy Brown said:

Apparently, he will become a strong 3 point shooter. Did I call him a future star? Nah. 

As he is currently constructed, I liken his ceiling to that of a borderline all star reserve type. I think he'll be a strong starter in 3-4 years. 

And yeah, guys definitely can't get better. His own teammate Jae Crowder never changed his stripes. Oh, wait

You didn't, @tonyto36 did.  

I'm not sure what you're referring to Jae Crowder about...maybe you can elaborate just a tad?

If you'll look to page 288383, article b on the old board, you'd see I was calling for the Celtics to draft Jaylen Brown during the CBB season. Always have been high on him, always will be. Even then, I've never called him a future star like a lot of Celtics people. But he's got all of the tools needed to be a strong contributor. 

A contributor.  I don't think anyone is doubting that he can be a contributor.  The argument was what was his ultimate upside.

Name them. Which NBA rookies are elite ball handlers? Some score at a high rate. Not many. Not too many of the teenagers, too.

Yeah, Jaylen Brown showed no flashes of ability to get his own shot or get by anyone. Come on. Considering he couldn't do anything at the beginning of the year, I'd say his ability at the end was showing creativity. Jesus. You're telling me his skill set is that of a 3/d only? lol, whatever you say. I don't watch every Celtics games or anything. That'd be concerning considering his defense wasn't very good. 

I didn't say he was breaking guys down like he was James Harden. I said he showed flashes. Because he did. 

Rubio was, Simmons was but he obviously didn't play, D'Angelo Russell was, but it was partly because it coupled so well with his court vision, Kyrie, Wall, I could continue if you'd like.

I'm sure Brown used a crossover once or twice to get to the rim or get a shot. Most NBA players can. But he hasn't shown the ability to do it enough to think it'll be even a 10% portion of his offensive game. 

And yes, I'm saying he has the skillset of a 3-and-D only. Those kind of guys have value. God forbid the number three pick in the draft is an NBA start for 10 years.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You didn't, @tonyto36 did.  

I'm not sure what you're referring to Jae Crowder about...maybe you can elaborate just a tad?

You said zebras don't change their stripes. Crowder had bad shooting marks, worse than Brown did last year, and now he's considered one of the better 3 point shooters in the league. 

Fact is, zebras change their stripes all the time. Don't ask me, I don't control nature

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think he's shown enough to think he can be at least a league average spot up shooter.

You said zebras don't change their stripes. Crowder had bad shooting marks, worse than Brown did last year, and now he's considered one of the better 3 point shooters in the league. 

Fact is, zebras change their stripes all the time. Don't ask me, I don't control nature

Crowder is a career 35% shooter from beyond the arc in his career.  He shot nearly 40% this past season.  Are you going to tell me that one season overrides the previous 5 seasons?  For the record, the most recent 3 seasons are probably the only accurate ones.

Do you believe he'll shoot ~40% from beyond the arc for the rest of his career, yes or no?

But you think that Ingram has future star written on him? He showed less than Brown with more opportunity. 

And Utley, I generally respect your basketball knowledge and I'm going to have to bring it out here, you didn't watch enough Brown games. I don't care what you say, you didn't. 3/d guys don't flash post moves and jumpshots off the dribble. 

His skillset is incredibly broad at the moment and hasn't even been close to defined, nor has his role. We'll revisit this around ASB and you can shake my hand. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Crowder is a career 35% shooter from beyond the arc in his career.  He shot nearly 40% this past season.  Are you going to tell me that one season overrides the previous 5 seasons?  For the record, the most recent 3 seasons are probably the only accurate ones.

Do you believe he'll shoot ~40% from beyond the arc for the rest of his career, yes or no?

Wait, what's the difference now? You're backtracking? You said zebras can't change their stripes but Crowder in the last 3 seasons barely shot over 30 percent and was one of the better shooters in the league last year. 

Considering he didn't get to 40 this year, I doubt it. Do I think he'll be a strong 3 point shooter for the rest of his career? Yes. Great form and great shot selection. 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

But you think that Ingram has future star written on him? He showed less than Brown with more opportunity. 

And Utley, I generally respect your basketball knowledge and I'm going to have to bring it out here, you didn't watch enough Brown games. I don't care what you say, you didn't. 3/d guys don't flash post moves and jumpshots off the dribble. 

His skillset is incredibly broad at the moment and hasn't even been close to defined, nor has his role. We'll revisit this around ASB and you can shake my hand. 

I actually think Ingram showed what I expected of him. He showed playmaking and ball handling that I expected. People who expected a Durant-like shooter were basing their evaluation off of only his shooting results from Duke, not his form or how it protected to translate. And just because he had more of an opportunity, does not mean that he had a better opportunity.

Trevor Ariza had post moves when he was younger, and could occasionally create, doesn't change that he was a 3/D guy.

And the tools you refer to aren't tools, it's a single tool and it's athleticism. When guys are great athletes there's this weird thought that the rest can just come naturally. I'm not faulting you for it, I just see it a lot.

4 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Wait, what's the difference now? You're backtracking? You said zebras can't change their stripes but Crowder in the last 3 seasons barely shot over 30 percent and was one of the better shooters in the league last year. 

Considering he didn't get to 40 this year, I doubt it. Do I think he'll be a strong 3 point shooter for the rest of his career? Yes. Great form and great shot selection. 

The stripes thing doesn't apply as much to shooting as it does other basketball skills. Most NBA guys have workable shots and it's all about getting them with the right coach to make the necessary changes. It's very circumstantial.

It absolutely means he had a better opportunity. Brown didn't have the rope or the chance to shine like Ingram did, don't be that guy, come on. 

And nah, by claiming he's only an athlete, you're doing a real disservice to his basketball IQ and his ability to fit into an offense without just standing around waiting for the ball to come to him. 

5 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

It absolutely means he had a better opportunity. Brown didn't have the rope or the chance to shine like Ingram did, don't be that guy, come on. 

And nah, by claiming he's only an athlete, you're doing a real disservice to his basketball IQ and his ability to fit into an offense without just standing around waiting for the ball to come to him. 

It absolutely does not. Who has the better chance to improve:

a raw 3 on a team with quality players all around him and the second best coach on the planet, mixed with a phenomenal staff of assistants

or

a raw 3 on an atrocious team that lacks talent and is filled with iso-ball players with a first-time head coach who isn't known for developing talent that has a bad assistant coaching staff.

I didn't claim he's only an athlete. I absolutely did not say that. I said that his tool that supposedly increases his potential is his athleticism. 

Edited by utley4568
Block of text and run-on sentences